PDA

View Full Version : Bow River Fish Rescue Wednesday June 26th

kritofr
06-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Good evening all,

A couple dedicated anglers were out today with nets and waders finding fish holding in the flood waters which are quickly receding. The fish aren't able to get back to the main stem, so we are risking the loss of more fish from the floods.

There is a larger contingent organizing to get out tomorrow along with Fish and Wildlife with electro-shocking to get more fish back where they need to be.

They are meeting at 0800hrs at 320 65th Avenue SE. Bring waders, nets, water and lunch if you are able to assist

NUK SOO KOW
06-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Thats awesome guys!! Wish I could help out!!!

cecil
06-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Wish I was closer and had the time to help. If you get a chance post some pics. I'm sure there are lots of us that would like to see the fish you are getting back to the Bow. Everyone of them that are saved are important to the future of the Bow fishery system.

slivers86
06-26-2013, 04:43 AM
I was wondering about this as well, looking at flooded waters in mckenzie meadows golf course. I'm off work at 6am and need to some sleep. If you are a part of this team, send me a PM and i'll give you my cell. Would love to help out after a couple hours of shut eye.

slivers86
06-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Screw it! I'm coming! see you there :)

jacenbeers
06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Is there anything happening over the weekend? I work all week but can spend every minute of daylight over the weekend in this effort.

fedfred
06-26-2013, 03:24 PM
If you guys could post an update of how things went and the mood from F&W that would be great.

MtnGiant
06-26-2013, 04:17 PM
You definitely have my blessings for doing such a noble deed.

Wish I could join you....but must work.

Best of luck :)

scel
06-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Good evening all,

A couple dedicated anglers were out today with nets and waders finding fish holding in the flood waters which are quickly receding. The fish aren't able to get back to the main stem, so we are risking the loss of more fish from the floods.

There is a larger contingent organizing to get out tomorrow along with Fish and Wildlife with electro-shocking to get more fish back where they need to be.

They are meeting at 0800hrs at 320 65th Avenue SE. Bring waders, nets, water and lunch if you are able to assist

Could you please update the success of your efforts and inform of any upcoming efforts. I would like to help, but I need to be tactical.

drock0802
06-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Shoot I never saw this thread till now. I can volunteer some time on the next outing. Please let me know

kritofr
06-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Shoot I never saw this thread till now. I can volunteer some time on the next outing. Please let me know

A good day today, found more whitefish and suckers than trout. Focused around Southland today and Glenmore. Some major changes to the river already can be observed.

Sounds like the crew is going to try again this weekend. I won't be around to relay the info this weekend. I know Bow River Troutfitters and Fish Tales will be kept up to date to share the information. I would assume other fly shops will receive the info as well.

MtnGiant
06-26-2013, 08:49 PM
A good day today, found more whitefish and suckers than trout. Focused around Southland today and Glenmore. Some major changes to the river already can be observed.

Sounds like the crew is going to try again this weekend. I won't be around to relay the info this weekend. I know Bow River Troutfitters and Fish Tales will be kept up to date to share the information. I would assume other fly shops will receive the info as well.

Did you kill the sucka's or relocate them????

hal53
06-26-2013, 08:51 PM
hopefully relocated, they have a job to do....

tight line
06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Great to hear!

kritofr
06-26-2013, 09:16 PM

All fish were released in a safe manner.

BeeGuy
06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Approx how many healthy fish did you see released?

Alberta Bigbore
06-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Awesome!

slivers86
06-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Approx how many healthy fish did you see released?

I was there until 3pm... was a great day

fish of size - 1 pike, 2 or 3 rainbows, a few whites, multiple non-game fish...

Edit - keep in mind I wasn't everywhere, these are just fish that were near me. We did split up and cover a lot of ground so numbers could be quite a bit higher.

located and released into the river i'd guess ballparking 500 minnow/adolescent sized feeder & game fish. With the netting and all, it gave me an entire new perspective to tie worm patterns, and some leaches... we caught so many massive worms in the nets! lol

1 crayfish was found too!

Found a lot of dead fish however. More dead whitefish than I could have imagined. Only saw a couple of dead trout however, which may be a good sign.

Even got a 3" burbot back in the water :)

Like Krito said earlier in post, the river has changed course in a lot of ways. Once this flood, and our new nemesis, the rail bridge, subsides, it will be fun to get out and explore to see how our favorite runs have gotten better, disappeared or more unlikely, stayed the same.

I'll post a few pics, but do not have permission to post from any parties in them, so it will be limited. Give me a bit to edit some faces! Cheers

slough shark
06-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Suckers have a job to do in the rivers, not so much in a trout pond. As for those that went out :sHa_shakeshout:

jacenbeers
06-27-2013, 09:27 AM
I took tomorrow off from work and plan to get out and try to do some rescuing even if I am all alone. What did you use Slivers? Did you just have nets and waders?

kritofr
06-28-2013, 12:04 AM
The crew is heading back out tomorrow morning. Meet at Southland Dog off leash park for 0830hrs. Bring waders, lunch and water

Bow River Troutfitters, Fishtales and Bow River Shuttles (check their Facebook page) for information.

Good luck

jacenbeers
06-28-2013, 10:41 AM
I will be there.

DanaS
06-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Any word on if they are going to do it again tomorrow (Saturday)?