PDA

View Full Version : Eagle lake

RHJ
06-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know if the fish in eagle lake by strathmore are any good to eat.. Went tonite for first time, decent fishing.. Didn't keep as I've heard mixed reviews.

JReed
06-26-2013, 06:18 AM
I talked to one of the old boys who has lived in the area for a long time when I was ice fishing there this winter and asked him the same question. He said they were good to eat because Strathmore hadn't pumped sewage into the lake for a long time. The old guy didn't seem senile, however he is from the old school. I personally wouldn't eat anything out of there, but the walleye and pike I caught were very healthy looking

Lambo
06-26-2013, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't eat any fish out of there. How was the boat launch?

slough shark
06-26-2013, 09:51 AM
It is so murky because of 2 things, the tree nursuries around pump in tons of fertalizer, and there is a big ol feedlot a mile or 2 away. I'll let you make that call.

catchandeat
06-26-2013, 09:56 AM
would be nice if the water was cleaner, as it's probably the closest place to calgary where you can keep 3 walleye.....

TROLLER
06-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Bunch of old wives tales. The sewage lagoon is several miles away from the lake and no feedlot anywhere is allowed to dump into water.

The lake has a natural blue alge that comes up every year and the pike if you noticed are a lighter colour than you would expect.

The colour is because their main menu is the white faced chub, they are every where in the lake about 3-4 inches long with a white face.

While I never keep fish anywhere I fish I have tasted the pike from Eagle as well as walleye and they were good and I did not grow any moles or get sick:)

RHJ
06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys.... I didn't keep any. But they all looked very healthy..and nice size walleyes... Pike were hitting everything

pikergolf
06-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Pertinent study.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/f2012-088

BeeGuy
06-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Pertinent study.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/f2012-088

Maybe I missed it, but this meta analysis comments only on the issue of drinking water, and not on fish consumption.

These toxins appear to be an increasing issue of concern though.

Good to know.

pikergolf
06-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Maybe I missed it, but this meta analysis comments only on the issue of drinking water, and not on fish consumption.

These toxins appear to be an increasing issue of concern though.

Good to know.

No nothing to do with the edibility of fish, just a reply to Troller's comment that the algae is a natural occurring event, it may be natural but has been exasperated by human activity. The stuff is nasty and even being on the lake this time of year and later can cause adverse health effects. It usually doesn't disappear until a good frost.

I wonder how much summer kill that is blamed on low oxygen or warm temps is due to this stuff.

pikester
06-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Bunch of old wives tales. The sewage lagoon is several miles away from the lake and no feedlot anywhere is allowed to dump into water.
The lake has a natural blue alge that comes up every year and the pike if you noticed are a lighter colour than you would expect.

The colour is because their main menu is the white faced chub, they are every where in the lake about 3-4 inches long with a white face.

While I never keep fish anywhere I fish I have tasted the pike from Eagle as well as walleye and they were good and I did not grow any moles or get sick:)

Sorry dude but i tried fishing there last summer & on the far SW corner of the lake (where the old train causeway meets the west shore) there is a stream which runs into the lake coming directly from the feedlot on west side of the lake. This "stream" was about 2ft wide & 8" deep & stunk like dead animal matter as well as being bright green from massive algae growth.

Untreated discharge from feedlots being illegal or not allowed is one matter but I can tell you I've seen it with my own eyes & smelled it with my own nose! You couldn't pay me to eat anything from that lake.

BeeGuy
06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
No nothing to do with the edibility of fish, just a reply to Troller's comment that the algae is a natural occurring event, it may be natural but has been exasperated by human activity. The stuff is nasty and even being on the lake this time of year and later can cause adverse health effects. It usually doesn't disappear until a good frost.

I wonder how much summer kill that is blamed on low oxygen or warm temps is due to this stuff.

Yup

Nasty stuff.

I am guessing that pre-settlement this would rarely have been an issue.

Hmmmmmmm

Sediment core study?

The Fisherman Guy
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Bioaccumulations of fertilizer compounds in Walleye fat?

TROLLER
06-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Sorry dude but i tried fishing there last summer & on the far SW corner of the lake (where the old train causeway meets the west shore) there is a stream which runs into the lake coming directly from the feedlot on west side of the lake. This "stream" was about 2ft wide & 8" deep & stunk like dead animal matter as well as being bright green from massive algae growth.

Untreated discharge from feedlots being illegal or not allowed is one matter but I can tell you I've seen it with my own eyes & smelled it with my own nose! You couldn't pay me to eat anything from that lake.

Don't think I can buy that. Fished there with an RCMP from Strathmore as well as had very long conversation with Strathmore F&W at Eagle about the lake and there is not way that would be allowed not just by F&W but also Sustainable Res. and Alberta Environment.

Like I say wives tales.