PDA

View Full Version : Start up costs?

Scott N
06-26-2013, 07:17 PM
What kind of money would a guy look at to buy a reasonably good (not top of the line, but not low end either) hunting bow set up. I was hoping to get an idea of what a bow, arrows, hunting broadheads, quiver, etc. would cost if I wanted to try bow hunting this fall would be. Thanks for your thoughts!

ULTRAlite
06-26-2013, 07:36 PM
I'd say a safe bet is $1000 - $1200 for a lower end package. My brother got a Bowtech Assassin, dozen arrows, bow case, release, and target this spring and spent about $1000. As with most sports - you could reduce this by buying a used bow etc. etc. OR you could spend $3000 or more if you were looking for something higher end. The biggest commitment though is time - practice practice practice!

north american hunter
06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Bowtech assasin is good I'm getting one

marc*A*
06-26-2013, 08:33 PM
I would say min $1200.
say $600-bow around $100 for a decent rest. around $100 for a sight.
$120ish for good arrows. stabilizer $60ish. a case min $80. quiver (gotta be tight spot) $120. release $100.
.........kinda lost now...do your own math.

brohymn2
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
check out the archerytalk classifieds, i gotmy first bow off of there for 325with a rest and a quiverwhile the same bow brand new was sekling for 800 bare bow. my advice is find a few bows that you think you like by shooting as many as you can and watch the AT classifieds. the bowtech assassin is also a bow worth looking into, i love mine

MtnGiant
06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
I would say min $1200.
say $600-bow around $100 for a decent rest. around $100 for a sight.
$120ish for good arrows. stabilizer $60ish. a case min $80. quiver (gotta be tight spot) $120. release $100.
.........kinda lost now...do your own math.

Wow your talkin high end right from the start.

I never do this or recommend this approach.

There were and maybe still are a few guys on here that were selling top notch bows for around $500.

I have also seen them in the pawn shops for around $350 (Hoyt).

Or even Kijiji.

You can easily get an archery shop to look it over for you.

Used is my recommendation.....and save on the retail markup :sHa_shakeshout:

And in many cases...it will include arrows and case.

Cash in on those guys that buy 1st class equipment and only have used it a couple times.

Also.....a good archery shop will have a little range for you to try different Bows.....and they should fit your body type and arm draw lenght.

Zuludog
06-26-2013, 09:44 PM
check out the archerytalk classifieds, i gotmy first bow off of there for 325with a rest and a quiverwhile the same bow brand new was sekling for 800 bare bow. my advice is find a few bows that you think you like by shooting as many as you can and watch the AT classifieds. the bowtech assassin is also a bow worth looking into, i love mine

^^ This is good advice. Go to a bow shop and try out some bows or to Cabellas, Basspro etc. Try and find a good USED set up on Archery Talk or in the classifieds here. Sometimes bow shops will have some deals too but usually they still have to mark up to cover their expenses etc.

You can buy some good stuff used as bow hunters seem to fall into one of three categories, more or less. The guys who buy top end stuff and as mentioned find out they don't like it and you can pick it up at a discount. The guys who are bow junkies and buy new bows every year and own so many bows most of the stuff they sell is still in great shape, again used bargains are there. The last type, look after their stuff and hold onto it for awhile and by the time they sell it is functional but outdated.

You can buy a decent set up for 350 to $450 if you look. Then you will still ned to purchase some good arrows, a case and a rest. I'd say if you look hard you can be outfitted for $600.

Happy hunting and welcome to the dark side. :)

Another alternative is to buy a starter package like the Quests or an Assassin and then grab a release and some arrows. The help that you get from a pro shop starting out will save you some head aches.

FallAirFever
06-26-2013, 10:33 PM
For a starter package you are looking in the 600-800 range. Todays low end bows are very good, most if not all makers have great entry level bows.

I'd suggest getting to the Calgary Archery Center or Jimbows or both. They can check your draw length and you can fire some bows if you like. You will get a good feel for what you like or don't. That way you would know what your draw length is and what you like in a bow if you go used. CAC has packages that include arrows and a release, add some broadheads a case and lots of string time you will be good to by fall.

But don't waste much time. Archery season is approaching quickly.

Good luck welcome to the addiction!!

marc*A*
06-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Wow your talkin high end right from the start.

I never do this or recommend this approach.

There were and maybe still are a few guys on here that were selling top notch bows for around $500.

I have also seen them in the pawn shops for around $350 (Hoyt).

Or even Kijiji.

You can easily get an archery shop to look it over for you.

Used is my recommendation.....and save on the retail markup :sHa_shakeshout:

And in many cases...it will include arrows and case.

Cash in on those guys that buy 1st class equipment and only have used it a couple times.

Also.....a good archery shop will have a little range for you to try different Bows.....and they should fit your body type and arm draw lenght.

I don't think im too high at all.
if any thing im low on the bow for sure.
as any one who buys a package deal is either looking for a whole new rig for the next year, or looking to upgrade the accessories as lets face it the stuff that comes on the package bow is at best sub par to the serious bow hunter.
every price I put on my previous post where on the higher end yes, but not over the top.

manosteel
06-26-2013, 11:29 PM
You don't need 1200 to get started. I have been bow hunting since 1992 and the entry level stuff is light years ahead of what we used back then and we had no troubles taking moose with our old set ups.

I bought my 7yr old a mission craze which is adjustable enough for both of us to shoot off archery talk for $375 with a basic sight and whisker biscuit rest. I have no problems grouping inside 3 inches with that bow at 40 yards with 5 arrows.

What I shoot today is all top of of the line but if I was starting out I wouldn't spend more than 600 all in.

Think of it like buying a savage axis as your first big game rifle. It gets the job done just like the high end rifles in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot.

My suggestion get an entry level bow or used mid-level bow and learn proper shooting fundamentals. And practice and practice some more. Then practice at distance, if starting out work your way out to 50 yards it will make 20 yards look like a gimme and that's what you want when it comes time to harvest an animal.

I got my wife set up with a mid level setup used for less than 600 with everything ( incl. case, arrows, and release) and if it fit me I would not hesitate using it in the field.

jcrayford
06-27-2013, 06:34 AM
For a starter package you are looking in the 600-800 range. Todays low end bows are very good, most if not all makers have great entry level bows.

I'd suggest getting to the Calgary Archery Center or Jimbows or both. They can check your draw length and you can fire some bows if you like. You will get a good feel for what you like or don't. That way you would know what your draw length is and what you like in a bow if you go used. CAC has packages that include arrows and a release, add some broadheads a case and lots of string time you will be good to by fall.

But don't waste much time. Archery season is approaching quickly.

Good luck welcome to the addiction!!

^^This. FallAirFever just gave you some great advice!

Scott, go to the shops that specialize in what they sell. Both CAC and JimBows sell only archery equipment, and better than that have staff that KNOW what they're talking about because they only deal with bows. They will get you into a bow that FITS YOU! Not make you fit the bow. This is extremely important.

When you go in to CAC or JimBows, have you budget in mind and allow a little leeway on it. Be upfront and honest with the staff that are helping you and tell them your budget numbers. Make sure they know that this is all you want to invest for a complete, ready to go outfit (even if they get you into a used system) and also ask about a few shooting times to allow you to get comfortable with your new addiction while having their expertise handy in case you have questions.

Would you buy glasses at Walmart for your first pair? They sell eyewear there.... Or would you go to an optometrist and have your eyes checked and a prescription made up for your own individual eyes? Go see a pro shop.

J.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
06-27-2013, 08:09 AM
:D there are some outstanding bows out there in the mid point range for cost...one outstanding bow comes to mind is the Mission Ballistic by Mathews..

The bow is in that $500.00 range and great quaility for the price withy lifetime warrenty...

http://missionarchery.com/product/ballistic#specs

Accessories can add up quickly, but but great sights are out there starting at around $80.00..A Ugly Cookie [WB] rest at $59.99..same insert as the 150.00 model... etc..

usually with accessories you get what you pay for...but the good thing on accessories is that if you really enjoy archery/bow hunting you can upgrade your bow and simply swap over the accessories..

but as mentioned above one can get set up with quaility gear for under 1000.00 and go bow hunting

Neil

58thecat
06-27-2013, 08:54 AM
$1200 ish just went through it with my son, key is shoot as many bows as possible, do not look at price tag and see what works/feels good to you NOT what in IN crowd is using. This was the bow and everything you can possibly need to hunt/shoot targets...good luck!

7mmremmag
06-27-2013, 09:47 AM
I paid 1650$ for my Z7 extreme.
I got it ready to shoot with a rhinehart target and 12 arrows.
No case or broadheads though.

The quality of sights, rests, quiver, etc. can make the price vary big time

bearbait
06-27-2013, 02:21 PM
we set up lots under $1000. just depends what you want. theres the mission riot and craze packages. the bowtech assasin, hoyt chargers all uner $750 for a package. also the diamonds are a cheap way to start. you will notice a big differance from the pro series to package bows in smoothness and stuff but the package is a great way to get started and if you love it you can upgrade later.
shoot them all and see what you like!
Rob

benamen
06-27-2013, 04:27 PM
When I purchased my first bow a couple of years ago, I went looking for a used bow but a quality bow. I picked up a 3 month old Hoyt CE for $1500 with everything I needed to hunt except for a release and quiver. Got a hard case, dozen carbon arrow, broadheads, stabilizer, sling, 5 pin sight and a Vanish rest. I find if I start off with cheaper equipment, I soon want something better.

jdog0
06-27-2013, 05:27 PM
I bought one at cabelas 2 years ago... The whole thing... Not a very well known make but it has worked for me just fine... Got an elk my first season... The make is QUEST... Shoots fine, not very light though... Got it on sale... In total, arrows, stabilizer, case, release and wax for about $800