PDA

View Full Version : NSR @ Whitemud Creek.

madkevind
06-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Went here today and came out humbled and empty handed. First time out on the NSR ever so I was just trying some fire tiger crankbaits and red/white spoons. However, the water seemed really high and visibility must be next to zero. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck these past couple weeks?

I was trying to hook into a pike.

EZM
06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Went here today and came out humbled and empty handed. First time out on the NSR ever so I was just trying some fire tiger crankbaits and red/white spoons. However, the water seemed really high and visibility must be next to zero. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck these past couple weeks?

I was trying to hook into a pike.

When the water is high, fast and brown, cranks and spoons are tough.

A High vibration spinner or rattling lure is a little better but bait fishing is the most productive method in the seams and slack water this time of year.

It's a tough time to cut your teeth on this river.

madkevind
06-27-2013, 03:03 PM
When do the waters normally clear up? Can you shore fish for pike in Wizard or Pigeon? I just moved to Edmonton and have, like I said no experience with the NSR or with pike/walleye.

EZM
06-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Pike is tough at pigeon - there are 1000 walleye for every pike in there. As far as shore fishing that lake is shallow for a long way out but there are some opportunities.

Not sure about Wizard from shore - but lot's of smaller pike in there.

You best best is Wabamun from shore - plenty of access, lots of pike and some very big ones in there. Try the Wabamun town site boat launch right off the pier. Guys catch them there all the time or toward the rail bridge.

NSR should start to clear up pretty quick - usually 1st to second week of July.

crazyperch
06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
i was out at the river last night for a couple of hours and caught 3 goldeye.
i was fishing where a culvert entered the river so i wasnt fishing in the fast moving water

madkevind
06-27-2013, 04:03 PM
What can I look to use for goldeye? I'm going to try Hermitage off leash area next.

crazyperch
06-27-2013, 04:24 PM
I find spinners normally work best for them, but they were taking a green single tail jig with a pink head last night

EZM
06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
or a simple sliding hook rig (with worm) between two beads on your main line and a sinker on bottom.

- use a floating spin/glow or lindy cork (just above hook/bait) to ensure your worm is off bottom
- bottom bead up 24" to keep cork off bottom
- run a bead 24" above bottom bead to keep the bait loose for that extra split second to allow a good hook set
- slider line is 18"

madkevind
06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks to both of you for your help. Going to see if I can catch my first NSR anything this evening.

AppleJax
06-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Cast small black jigs (BGSH Special) at Hermitage and reel in slow right at the spillway and you WILL catch fish.

CanadianBadass
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
I pulled two eyes out of there this week with high watrr, using the smallest rapplin raps

BGSH
06-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Cast small black jigs (BGSH Special) at Hermitage and reel in slow right at the spillway and you WILL catch fish.

X2 :) but it doesn't work for everybody :sHa_shakeshout:

chrisco81
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Was at Hermatage this morning at the outfall, tried yellow, white and green 3' single tail mister twister jigs and those didn't seem to interest the fish even though they were consistently jumping as close as 8-10FT from the shore line but they were biting the big night crawlers on a P-rig but couldn't actually land anything:( but couldn't ask for a better day to spend outside!