PDA

View Full Version : Sooke crab'n

TBark
06-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Long shot but does anyone have experience in the Sooke area setting crab traps ?
Asking because we will be in the area mid July with a one week long boat rental and have set some traps inside Sooke basin on occasion in the past with mixed results. Few to none and the odd football size star fish.
Sooke basin is somewhat shallow, 10-15 ft if I recall when setting them a few yrs. back.
I did hear a fellow who knows a fellow... Says maybe try setting the traps outside the basin in about 100-120 ft of water, but have not heard of success in that depth.
May as well set the traps in between salmon hits.
Any help appreciated.

TBark

Marsha
06-28-2013, 08:38 PM
the best spot i KNOW OFF IS JUST ON THE INSIDE OF whiffen spit light & weather station the red crab and dungerness run in and out with the tide..

Who Da Fisherman
06-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Nothing to add only seen the bouys when going out.
But I sure do miss my house, hot tub and boat only 10min and into some awesome fishing. Hope you have great time there.

thehook
06-29-2013, 08:02 AM
we used to crab fish of the public dock with the boardwalk and always did well if you went at the right time!

Redfrog
06-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Years ago the crabbin was much better than it is today.The demographics change and more people put more pressure on the resource. Some of the new harvesters have a different philosophy than 'locals' and will often ignore regs. bags limits etc. and continue to abuse the resource till it is gone.

I've never caught crabs in deeper than 30 feet on the flood tide. If you are determine to try 100 -200 you may wanyt to try a few prawn traps.

We set crab traps prawn traps and then would fish salmon or bottom fish depending on the tide.

Good luck with the trappin. nothing like fresh sea food.