PDA

View Full Version : warning to all of you

waterninja
06-28-2013, 10:15 PM
was out at cardiff for a couple hours today and the mosquitoes are BRUTAL! you don't notice them much in the city due to spraying but if you plan on any shore fishing with the family pack some good repellant with the sunscreen. my favourite is the one you buy from watkins. (no i don't work for watkins)

Alberta Bigbore
06-28-2013, 10:58 PM
A Thermocell would work wonders for you out there.

waterninja
06-28-2013, 11:30 PM
if your talking about those new things you wear on your belt, i don't trust them. talked wiyh several people wearing them at the off-leash dog are at herm. and everyone said they sucked.over the years iv'e seen similar prouducts come and go whether it's scent or some kind of hihg pitced sound. sounds like a scam but i would love to hear some first hand reports from members who have used them.

VanIsleGuy
06-28-2013, 11:33 PM

The Thermocell didn't impress me either. I had it on my belt and still had mosquitos attacking me. I will stick to deet repellant.

Alberta Bigbore
06-28-2013, 11:35 PM
I will lend you one of mine, and if it doesnt suck, you pay me $100. lol

They are meant for when you are lounging around, campsites, decks, docks, treestands, etc etc... not for walking or running around with dogs.

They take ten minutes approx to get the area to start to clear.... I own alot of them now.

Satsuma lotion from Body Shoppe works very well at repelling as well, but you will smell like oranges and have soft skin, lol

ishootbambi
06-28-2013, 11:37 PM
if you are walking around or the wind is blowing, a thermocell wont be much help. it creates a smoke cloud that repels the annoying little bugs that bite. if you are sitting still on a calm day, they work amazingly well. I was pretty skeptical at first too, but these things work as advertised when used in circumstances that allow them to do their thing. what I found most surprising is that deer don't seem to be alarmed when they get downwind of it, so hunting use is doable.

oops^^^^ ABB said the same thing as I was typing.

Alberta Bigbore
06-28-2013, 11:41 PM
on windy days when the buggers are hungry while we fish on the pembina river... we set 2 or 3 of them upwind about 20 feet. heh

Teamprotz
06-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Need to remember to turn them ON ! Surprisingly , our acreage and driveway are still under water but i'm starting to put a scare into it. I am thankful the mosquitos aren't that bad , fueling pumps would be awful ! I honestly think it might have something to do with the canola.

Wild&Free
06-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Need to remember to turn them ON ! Surprisingly , our acreage and driveway are still under water but i'm starting to put a scare into it. I am thankful the mosquitos aren't that bad , fueling pumps would be awful ! I honestly think it might have something to do with the canola.

If you have GM Canola that has the BT gene in it could explain the lack of insects.

bwackwabbit
06-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Another vote for "They Work" and even upwind in the event of a blustery day.

EZM
06-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Thermocell units are fantastic. They absolutely work with very few limitations.

The chemicals in insect repellent, used in OFF and MUSKOL are known to contain toxins. The only reason they are still available is the intent of use/application of licence where this product has been approved for "occasional use".

If you are in the outdoors as much as most of our forum members are, putting this poison on your skin may not be the best thing you can do sometimes.

I have a Thermocell in the boat on those calm days when the bugs just want to attack you or fly into your nose, ears and eyes all night. They work, strategically placed in breezes - any breeze that renders the Thermocell useless is probably enough to keep the bugs away anyways.

Don't get me wrong - if I'm out walking the dogs, or at soccer where I'm moving around - I will use it (bug spray) BUT I'm using the Thermocell as much as I can, wherever I can because it's safer to use.

Like all good things in life, limiting their use is the key - bug spray is one of these things.