PDA

View Full Version : Bait casting net versus yellow perch

Sundancefisher
06-29-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hM5Sc59u88

My attempt at learning how to use a bait casting net for perch

In about 20 minutes we must of caught about 200 perch. Anyone want some for dinner... We catch em fresh! :sHa_shakeshout:

Ryanf
06-29-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hM5Sc59u88

My attempt at learning how to use a bait casting net for perch

In about 20 minutes we must of caught about 200 perch. Anyone want some for dinner... We catch em fresh! :sHa_shakeshout:

I could be up for a big ol fish fry
Few hundred crayfish to go along with it would be good too haha

Sundancefisher
06-29-2013, 04:56 PM
I could be up for a big ol fish fry
Few hundred crayfish to go along with it would be good too haha

If you want to come and get some... just PM me. Always willing to feed folks.

Ryanf
06-29-2013, 05:59 PM
If you want to come and get some... just PM me. Always willing to feed folks.

Ill let you know. I have a bunch of whitefish that I'm gonna be smoking prob this weekend could throw some in but if anyone is wanting fish that can't go get there own ect I'd definitely prefer them be taken care of before lil ol me
But by the sounds of it you have lots to go around

Zanzibar
06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Those are the perfect size for pickling. Gut 'em, and take off the heads, and put them in the jars with spices and pickling vinegar. In a few weeks, you'll have the tastiest little campfire snacks on lake sundance!

jeprli
06-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Thats an awesome net Sun. Used to throw one long time ago. Use more force on the swing and it should open up like parachute. If you dare, learn how to throw it while holding the close end in your mouth and release on the swing, best method by far, but kinda scary till you get a hang of it.

Don't know what they cost, but a dozen of those with good throwers could empty your lake in no time.

Sundancefisher
06-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Those are the perfect size for pickling. Gut 'em, and take off the heads, and put them in the jars with spices and pickling vinegar. In a few weeks, you'll have the tastiest little campfire snacks on lake sundance!

Never ever tried pickled perch. Sounds like you need 10,000. All I ask in 1 to try. :sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
06-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Thats an awesome net Sun. Used to throw one long time ago. Use more force on the swing and it should open up like parachute. If you dare, learn how to throw it while holding the close end in your mouth and release on the swing, best method by far, but kinda scary till you get a hang of it.

Don't know what they cost, but a dozen of those with good throwers could empty your lake in no time.

Sadly I think you would lose a bet on that. In front of 4 docks we caught 35,000 in the fyke net in 5 days. I figure over 500,000 perch in the lake.

There are swarms under the docks.

What I need to find is a place that will process perch that I can sell to the restaurant market. Ginger fried perch or salt and pepper perch... Or hmmm... That pickling idea makes me think of kimchi perch.

Then we could use the funds to hire someone to commercially net the buggers.

MrDave
06-30-2013, 09:31 AM

This is what this forum is about. Great thing to post. Nothing like experience to pass on.

My dad used to take those little fellows and can them with the skin on after chopping the heads off. A little ketchup and pressure cook the jars. Mouths watering thinking of them.

the local angler
06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
i also have one of those cast nets and first throw was perfect and opened up fully so i thought hmm this is easy. unfortunately it was a lucky throw, the next few hours was really tough. but got the hang of it somewhat. man i wish i could just sit off your docks and fish for them perch. perch lovers dream

Sundancefisher
06-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Want to come by and show how a professional does it. It is fun to toss the net now and again.

Sundancefisher
06-30-2013, 11:09 AM
This is what this forum is about. Great thing to post. Nothing like experience to pass on.

My dad used to take those little fellows and can them with the skin on after chopping the heads off. A little ketchup and pressure cook the jars. Mouths watering thinking of them.

Jeepers. It is cool hearing about different ways to cook these.

All I need is folks that want them. While we can't get rid of enough to make a difference if someone benefits and wants them I am happy to get er done!

All these new ways to eat perch is making me hungry.

jeprli
06-30-2013, 01:11 PM
I know it would not get rid of the problem but i think it would minimalize their population significantly.

I never dared to bite the net on the swing, my dad does it that way and his throws are perfect. Last time i used one was about 18 years ago, so i think we would be pretty equal in our attempts tO get her open. If i get any days of i'll let you know and maybe we can figure this out together.

Back home these nets were used to evacuate fish after danube floods, but mostly for catching baitfish. Poachers love these throwing nets :)

P.s. Let it roll around your waist on the back swing, and then use that pendulum effect to gain momentum on forward swing. I should also mention that holding it by the edges(where the weights are), will give you more control/better timing for release. Right before release, weights should start shooting outwards forming the parachute. If the net has too much spin while airborne it will cause a colapse, pull strings inside the net will furl, keeping it shut.

FishingMOM
06-30-2013, 07:48 PM
man i wish i could just sit off your docks and fish for them perch. perch lovers dream

completely agree.

Sundancefisher
06-30-2013, 08:27 PM
completely agree.

Likely gotta wait till the Fall. There were 21 kids out playing there today and yesterday. No room for us fishermen... so I just join em all and jump in. Nice hot day and all.

FishingMOM
06-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Likely gotta wait till the Fall. There were 21 kids out playing there today and yesterday. No room for us fishermen... so I just join em all and jump in. Nice hot day and all.

took stinky to see Monster university.
Not much fishing around the city otherwise.

Like others, I think you should have a big fish fry.
Charge 10 bux a head, and then use the money towards upkeep of the lake.

Sundancefisher
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
took stinky to see Monster university.
Not much fishing around the city otherwise.

Like others, I think you should have a big fish fry.
Charge 10 bux a head, and then use the money towards upkeep of the lake.

It would cost a bundle of money or time to clean em all. :)

deep fried salt n pepper tender baby perch and pea pods