PDA

View Full Version : Line Strength

bhlehr
06-30-2013, 09:53 PM
I normally fish out of the NSR, and an 8 lb florocarbon line has served me well. However, I was out at Pigeon Lake last week for some pike (at Mulhurst Bay) in my float tube (getting tired of releasing all the fish; I wanted to finally eat something!). Spent about three hours there. Had one on, but he jumped off the hook before I landed him. But then I got this huge thing grabbing the line, but within five seconds -- snap -- there goes the line (and my favorite five of diamonds).

What would be a good strength of line to use for the pike at pigeon? Also, since I'm planning on heading out there again in a few days, would anyone have any suggestions for good fishing spots that can be accessed by float tube? I went to the provincial park, but there was way too many waves to launch the tube.

Thanks for the suggestions.

EZM
06-30-2013, 10:10 PM
My opinion is, although you can land 99.9% of the pike on a 10lb line and a cheap Danielson leader - it will be the one you can't (a big one) that makes you re-think your choices.

The same is true of leaders, snaps and swivels. One failure on a fish of a lifetime is enough.

The other factor is - fighting a big fish on light gear causes stress to the fish and prolongs the recovery time which, ultimately, increases mortality rates.

I have a few set ups - they look like this;

20 to 30lb power pro braid.
175lb or greater coast lock swivel snaps (berkley brand)
80lb fluorocarbon leader (24")
Quality reel with at least 18lbs of drag (I use a round level wind bait caster)
Medium/Heavy to Heavy power rod
barbless hooks

*** footnote; keep in mind fluorocarbon leader material is not fluorocarbon line - they are two different products with different properties.

bhlehr
07-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info.

dopemop
07-01-2013, 10:19 PM
fighting a big fish on light gear causes stress to the fish and prolongs the recovery time which, ultimately, increases mortality rates.

Not trying to start an argument but I've never heard this before.. any more info on this?
(btw sorry new to forums not exactly sure on how to quote.)

Lefty-Canuck
07-01-2013, 10:24 PM
fighting a big fish on light gear causes stress to the fish and prolongs the recovery time which, ultimately, increases mortality rates.

Not trying to start an argument but I've never heard this before.. any more info on this?
(btw sorry new to forums not exactly sure on how to quote.)

Yes this is true....the reasoning is to land a large fish on light gear you may have to play the fish over an extended time....and bring it near to or to exhaustion....the fish may not recover afterwards, especially if you have to release it (Pigeon has a 100cm size minimum on pike.....thats about a 18-22lb fish).

If you use more stout and heavy gear you can land the fish quicker and limit the time the fish is "played" before it can be released with a higher probability of a full recovery.

LC

dopemop
07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks lefty. Makes %150 percent now. Not much reaches %150 when I've had a couple.

ETOWNCANUCK
07-01-2013, 11:33 PM
I fish pigeon every year and the biggest I have pulled up has been 6lbs. So I would have been interested to see what that was.
You didn't say what you were using at the time for line and or if you had a leader on.

EZM
07-01-2013, 11:34 PM
You can sometimes see the tell tale signs of a highly stressed fish - the fins, tail and sometimes mouth turn pink or reddish - many of these fish have exhausted themselves and have built up lactic acid causing this dis-coloration.

The mortality rates for stressed fish (showing these signs) are substantially higher compared to fish which do not exhibit this reddish hue on the fins.

bhlehr
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I fish pigeon every year and the biggest I have pulled up has been 6lbs. So I would have been interested to see what that was.
You didn't say what you were using at the time for line and or if you had a leader on.

8 lb Berkeley fluorocarbon line with steel leader (don't know brand), with large 5 of diamonds.

Fought for a few seconds, then the line snapped just in front of the rod.

Cesox
07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
You can sometimes see the tell tale signs of a highly stressed fish - the fins, tail and sometimes mouth turn pink or reddish - many of these fish have exhausted themselves and have built up lactic acid causing this dis-coloration.

The mortality rates for stressed fish (showing these signs) are substantially higher compared to fish which do not exhibit this reddish hue on the fins.

Great response!!! Large Pike and Musky are very susceptible to exhaustion and stress, especially in hot weather, when targeting these large fish heavy gear is a must if you plan on responsibly targeting these fish. Great reaponse

ETOWNCANUCK
07-02-2013, 11:45 PM
8 lb Berkeley fluorocarbon line with steel leader (don't know brand), with large 5 of diamonds.

must have rolled then, or you had a weak spot in the line.

cube
07-03-2013, 08:35 AM

Do you use a spinning reel? Do you think it's possible that with some line twist you ended up with the line wrapped around the tip of your rod? This could cause a break where you indicated. Heavier line will help but will not cure this problem. Spinning reels will twist line if the line comes out under drag or if continuing to reel when no line is coming in. If you think that was possible then next time let the line spin out the best you can before continuing to fish.

with a decent drag on your reel you should be able to land any fish in that lake with the line strength you have.

Have a great season.

Geezle
07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Yes this is true....the reasoning is to land a large fish on light gear you may have to play the fish over an extended time....and bring it near to or to exhaustion....the fish may not recover afterwards, especially if you have to release it (Pigeon has a 100cm size minimum on pike.....thats about a 18-22lb fish).

If you use more stout and heavy gear you can land the fish quicker and limit the time the fish is "played" before it can be released with a higher probability of a full recovery.

LC

This ^^^

It's also more of an issue later in the summer when the water gets warmer.

edit: if I would have finished reading the thread I would have seen that cesox said the same thing http://www.madcastgaming.com/forum/images/smilies/2013/headslap.gif