PDA

View Full Version : Calling/ rock island

Walleyemagnet
06-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Anybody been up there lately? I haven't seen anything on here in quite some time.

savagencounter
07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Was at both fri an sat. Fishing was slow but limited out in a few hrs at each rock water is already starting to alge up

Kim473
07-02-2013, 05:08 AM
Not worth the trip from Edmonton. Limit, One wally at Calling. At least with the price of gas these days. Fresh Halibit down the street from me this weekend. ( Well sorta fresh )

Walleyemagnet
07-02-2013, 09:49 AM
To me it's not all about the keeping but rather the catching. I wouldn't care if there was a zero limit, I'd still be fishing there. I was just wanting to know how guys have been doing. I was there only once on June2 and it was terribly slow, as was ice fishing there last winter.

ineptflux
07-02-2013, 10:47 AM
We were there a few weekends ago, really really slow but we're looking to get up there and try it out again.

Drewski Canuck
07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Calling is OK, but LOTS of feed. Every fish was burping minnows. Weather is a bit of a problem with afternoon thundershowers putting the fish down afterwards. Mornings are good, but if there is no wind, use a stinger hook on your minnow as they literally were sucking the tails off the bait, and slowly.

Water is rather high, and pretty clear, so that was nice. Kids had great fun tubing and swimming. Should help with the algae in this heat.

Fish are VERY fat this year, which made for a great fish fry this weekend.

If you fish at less than 10 FOW expect your jigs to be covered in rock moss. over 10 and you encounter no moss so your hooks are not so fouled all the time.

Drewski

DaveS
07-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Calling was really SLOW on July 1. However, we did limit out on sunburns :)

Red Neck
07-03-2013, 12:38 PM
How is the campground at Rock??? Really miss our yearly camping trip last couple of years??
Red Neck Out
:scared0018:

Northern Yaker
07-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Was great when I was there last fall. Had the place to myself.

greywolffan
07-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Why spend 60 or so dollars to catch 1 fish. I know of a few friends who have given up on fishing and I really dont do much anymore. To me this province is terrible in promoting fishing . Just my opinion.

Icouldeatababydeer
07-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Alberta isn't terrible at promoting fishing, they do what they have to or else there woldnt be any fish left. There are a couple hundred boatcat calling lake on any given weekend. And on the highways it seems every second vehicle is pulling a boat.

Mayhem
07-04-2013, 07:44 PM
I know what you're sayin...If I do fish by myself I don't travel too far, not worth the cost. When I do hit the northern lakes I have at least one and sometimes two others with me, makes that fuel pill a lot easier to swallow.

discostew
07-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Was at Calling yesterday, 3 of us fished for about 8 hours and caught a total of about 60 fish... Fishing was a fairly slow we had to work pretty hard to get our fish but we did get our limits. Nothing big but the weather was good and still had a good day.