PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good campsite to fish for Rainbow Trout...

RainbowTroutHunter
07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Hello, I am new to the community, my family and I have recently moved to the Calgary area from BC (3 years ago) and I was looking for a good spot to take them camping where we could do some rainbow trout fishing. The last few years we have drove back to BC for camping because it's hard to give up on your usual campsite spots with familiar faces every year... but we are getting tired of the long 7 hour drives... well.. more specifically I am.. haha. Anyway, if there are any information that anyone has that could point us in the right direction or if you know of some good spots to take the family on a lake for rainbows, please feel free to message me or post here. I've picked up a fishing brochure but still having a hard time deciding on where to go, and what lakes would be good for the family. I have a 10 ft aluminum boat with only a 4 horse Johnson outboard... so not looking to go on any lakes that could get me in too much trouble quickly if wind picks up.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you!

EZM
07-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Carson Pegasus Provincial Park - McLeod Lake is a decent camp with a nice little rainbow lake perfect for your boat. The kids will catch rainbow's easy and the crayfishing is fun for them too.

oldman
07-01-2013, 12:19 PM
I will second that suggestion,just got back today after four days staying there. Great place for kids and the fishing was very good this weekend.:sHa_shakeshout:

straightedge
07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
hows the beach situation for my wife lol?. is it a pretty busy place? thanks for sharing

leeaspell
07-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Carson is good, but from Calgary your probably 5+ hour drive. That said, the beach is pretty small, and the campground is usually packed every weekend, if you don't book ahead you will have to come up on Wednesday or Thursday to make sure you get a spot for the weekend.

Gillfisher
07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Blood Indian reservoir has lake shore camping & rainbow trout, there are some decent sized fish in the lake.

gramps73
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Blood Indian reservoir has lake shore camping & rainbow trout, there are some decent sized fish in the lake.

X2 grew up fishing this little gem...

mikeym
07-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Fish/Shunda lake outside of Nordegg. nice campground, decent fishing for RB's plus lots of other lakes and streams to hit up in the area. only downside (or upside depending on who you ask) is it is an electric motor lake only. if you get there early, there are about 6 real nice spots right on the lake, but even the other spots are real nice also.

Mike

RainbowTroutHunter
07-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks everyone!!! I'm planning our August fishing trip as we speak.. this year I don't expect much as the month of June is usually the best time to fish for trout in my past experience.. but I intend to get the family out before the kids head back to school in September. Thanks for all your suggestions!