PDA

View Full Version : Should I toss the arrow?

ULTRAlite
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Shooting yesterday I had an arrow nearly robinhood another - Nock was broken and my wrap was slightly scratched. Doesn't appear that any damage was done to the carbon though. Flexed the arrow farther than I normally do to see if there would be any cracking or splitting... Nothing. Would you toss the arrow or continue using it?

Stik'em
07-01-2013, 04:28 PM
If there aren't any cracks or splintering sounds when you flex, I'd still shoot it.

Stik'em

RoscoeP
07-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I would do a really good inspection of the whole arrow, make sure the new nock is not loose(if it is loose could be crack at that end) If all looks good I would keep using it. Cheers Roscoe

KBF
07-01-2013, 05:33 PM
For the cost and availabilty of a new arm and wrist, Id opt to throw out a few dollars to save the others.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
:D We have a small metal rod that fits down most standard arrows perfectally...when the rod is wiggled in a complete circle in the nock end of the shaft any UN visible cracks will become evident...the back end a proper size drill bit will work also...

Beware of suspect arrows that the nocks are loose...that is usually a good indication..

Neil

MatthewP
07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Follow the rod or drill bit method, And twisting the carbor arrow will show if it has damage also in the fletching area

58thecat
07-02-2013, 11:59 AM
For the cost and availabilty of a new arm and wrist, Id opt to throw out a few dollars to save the others.

X2

ULTRAlite
07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys - didn't plan on using the arrow again but I did the rod test as you described and indeed the carbon was cracked > sawed it in half and put it in the bin. Saved myself alot of agony there. Appreciated :)

Lefty-Canuck
07-06-2013, 09:19 AM
:D We have a small metal rod that fits down most standard arrows perfectally...when the rod is wiggled in a complete circle in the nock end of the shaft any UN visible cracks will become evident...the back end a proper size drill bit will work also...

Beware of suspect arrows that the nocks are loose...that is usually a good indication..

Neil

Thanks for sharing this. I did not know of this method to check.

LC