PDA

View Full Version : Hosted VS outfitter

MatthewP
07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
If I want to come up and Kill a bear over Bait, Do you need to go with an outfitter or can I be hosted by a friend? I would have the same question for deer. Thanks and have a great day, Matt

rottie
07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
hosted would work I believe,just follow the guide lines outlined in the regs and you should be fine

KegRiver
07-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes, hosted is possible.

But if you are looking to hunt over bait, a guided hunt may be better.

Outiftters have generally have more time to set out and maintain baits. And they generally have a better idea where the best bait sites will be.

You might get lucky and find an experienced bear hunter who is willing to put in the time and effort or who is already baiting and has a good site or two. but generally, an outfitter is a better bet when baiting.

On the other hand, if spot and stalk is of interest to you, some landowners would be happy to have you hunt their land, and they can put you on to some real hot spots.

While working farms i used to host a few hunters now and again. Done with the landowners blessing.
It was strictly spot and stalk. And I never failed to find my guest a good bear and on a couple of occasions I was able to show them a hunt of a lifetime.

Right now I've been out of the loop for awhile so I'm not sure I could find a Bear worth taking if I was on a deadline and I get very little time for recreation as it is. So I wouldn't be much help.

But from past experience, I would look at doing some goose hunting in Bear country. Get to know a few landowners in the area.
They will most likely know who is having bear problems and who might be willing to host a hunter.

MatthewP
07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the Information. Matt

whitetailhntr
07-01-2013, 10:50 PM
where you from Matt?

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-02-2013, 09:38 AM
:D yes it will make a big difference pending where you are from!!
Price for sure...

Southern Alberta..
USA
other province other than alberta [Non Resuident Canadian]

?
Neil

MatthewP
07-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I am from Washington State. We use to be allowed to bait bears here, But no longer. I have killed some monsters, But would like a big color phase bear to go on the wall with them. I would also like to get a big Whitetail buck for the wall. So I would be a NR alian.
Thanks, Matthew

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
:D yup Matt that H-Host or full guide..and if you dont know many here that leaves to outfiited...good news is the tags...some have two tags...and the price is reasonable considering...the outfitter I guided for had 100% bow sucess... and big bears of all colors...

There are a lot of good outfitters here in Alberta...

Neil

MatthewP
07-04-2013, 10:00 AM
So If I wanted to book with an outfitter, for a big Cinn/Blond phase black bear, What part of Alberta should I be looking. Or if you have some recommendations for next spring, That would be great. I already have two overly large Black bears, among others, so now I want a big off color or two. Thanks, Matt

7mmremmag
07-04-2013, 11:21 AM
So If I wanted to book with an outfitter, for a big Cinn/Blond phase black bear, What part of Alberta should I be looking. Or if you have some recommendations for next spring, That would be great. I already have two overly large Black bears, among others, so now I want a big off color or two. Thanks, Matt

Pretty hard to beat Pats outfit.
www.garrettbrosoutfitting.com

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-04-2013, 11:41 AM
:D This Outfitter runs with bowhunters only...
http://www.takemoutfitters.com/

Lots of colored bears

areas with a lot of popular trees seem to show more colored bears..we have seen red, cinn, blond and combinations of those...

I have taken three B+C there with my bow just hanging and helping out

Neil