PDA

View Full Version : Good Fishing books?

Irishtrout
07-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Hey guys just wondering is there any good fishing guide books you could recommend that lists and explains what species of fish the various streams lakes and rivers around Alberta have in them in particular Calgary? there is quite a few new species of fish ye guys have in north america that i would not have come across in Ireland. thanks:)

Scott N
07-02-2013, 11:31 AM
You should pick up a copy of "Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide". It's an annual magazine that you can pick up at Canadian Tire or just about any place else that sells magazines.

The Blue Ribbon Bow, by Jim McLennon is also good, but it's more specific about fly fishing for trout in the Bow River.

Alberta's Trout Highway, also by Barry Mitchell, is also pretty good.

waterninja
07-02-2013, 12:20 PM
welcome to AO. i hope you have lots of fun fishing in alberta. couple of suggestions.
... drop by the fish and game office in calgary and they can provide you with some pamphlets and posters that give you info. about the fish in AB. includes descriptions and color pics. of each species.
... check with the local bass pro, cabellas, wss, fishing hole, etc. and talk with the staff. lots of them can give you good tips. also browse the video/dvd section.
... get out on the water/shore and while your fishing talk with other anglers. most are willing to help a new guy out. (specially if he speaks with with a heavy irish accent, though if thats the case they'l probably ask if your a newfie lol)
good luck and hope to see some pics.

Irishtrout
07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
2 great comments thanks so much ye have been very helpful i do have a very strong accent hopefully it wont be held against me. i will indeed get up some pics i have just started fly fishing recently and i use all barb-less hooks it seems to be the way to go so i will stick to this method. i will be starting off in Calgary so hopefully i can find some areas there to wet a line:) In our Irish loughs(lakes) we mostly have just wild browns and and stocked rainbow so i am really looking forward to catching some other different species.

Thanks again for all your help and when i get over i will most defiantly be getting them books suggested and also going to them places thanks again and i must say this is a great forum here with some great experienced fishing dudes to learn north america s way of fishing.: