PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Gear Tips

Mike_W
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
I would like to start a thread for fishing gear tips not fishing techniques but maintenance, storage, do's, don'ts, tricks and tips to get more organized and keep your gear in better shape. Please if anyone wants to share join in!!

I will start with one that drives me crazy every time I see it.

On a spinning reel when drag is being taken out and you continue to reel all this does is cause excessive line twist because all you are doing is spinning your line in the same spot.
If you get a snag or hook a big fish either tighten up the drag a bit or let the fish stop his run before you reel, this will help prevent line twist.

Also line twist does occur and can happen on any type of reel ....certain lures, lack of or bad swivels.... it happens but it doesn't mean your line is garbage what you can do is troll with your boat and let out 99% of your line while trolling without any hook, leader or swivel just line. Troll for about ten minutes, this will allow the line twist to come out then just reel your line in making sure to keep proper tension. (Make sure to do this away from the crowds)

cube
07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
On a spinning reel when drag is being taken out and you continue to reel all this does is cause excessive line twist because all you are doing is spinning your line in the same spot.
If you get a snag or hook a big fish either tighten up the drag a bit or let the fish stop his run before you reel, this will help prevent line twist.

You also get line twist on spinning reels if the fish or snag pulls out line on the drag, even if you are not reeling. The simple cure is to carefully back reel so it does not pull off of the drag. No line twist that way.

Walleyedude
07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
You also get line twist on spinning reels if the fish or snag pulls out line on the drag, even if you are not reeling.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that's correct. The line is simply coming off the spool the same way it was wrapped on, and that should not cause twisting. I've never experienced this.

I would suggest using a rod sock of some kind on all your rods, especially in transport, most rod failures are due to small nicks in the graphite that rod socks will prevent. They also really help to keep rods organized and tangle free.

cube
07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that's correct. The line is simply coming off the spool the same way it was wrapped on, and that should not cause twisting. I've never experienced this.

On one of the March episodes of Jarrett Edwards Outdoors he covered this on his show. He pulled the flouro off on drag and be dammed if it did not twist. I had never know that before either. I always thought it was from over reeling when no line was coming in or improperly loading the line. Braid of course is more forgiving than flouro/mono but still twists. Anyway that is why he says he back reels instead of letting the drag take it.

Walleyedude
07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
On one of the the march episodes of Jarrett Edwards Outdoors he covered this on his show. He pulled the flouro off on drag and bedamed if it did not twist. I had never know that before either. I always thought it was from over reeling when no line was coming in or improperly loading the line. Braid of course is more forgiveing than flouro/mono but still twists. Anyway that is why he says he back reels instead of letting the drag take it.

Interesting. I can't say as I've ever experienced that with my spinning reels. Fluoro is notorious for twisting and kinking though, I refuse to use it as a main line.

I'm not a fan of back reeling, likely due to my lack of experience/skill with it. I'm of the opinion that I paid a lot of money for a good quality drag system and it can react quicker and smoother than I can, so I'll let it do its job.

cube
07-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Foam pipe insulation is inexpensive and works great for storing lindy rigs and walleye spinners, etc.

Pool Noodles work great for storing quick strike rigs, herring and anchovy rigs, Apex lures, etc.

EZM
07-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Interesting. I can't say as I've ever experienced that with my spinning reels. Fluoro is notorious for twisting and kinking though, I refuse to use it as a main line.

I'm not a fan of back reeling, likely due to my lack of experience/skill with it. I'm of the opinion that I paid a lot of money for a good quality drag system and it can react quicker and smoother than I can, so I'll let it do its job.

I saw that episode too, and agree with you 100%.

Buy a good quality reel and you should never have any issues with line twist.

I can't remember this EVER being an issue for me - so, based on this premise, there really is NO ISSUE.

Use a swivel - and buy a decent reel - easy solution and no need to fancy back reel a fish ........ I laughed when I saw the episode. The guy on the show seems like a melodramatic poser to me.

RavYak
07-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Having your drag set too tight will kink the line as well. Too much force will permanently distort the line and that is why it gets kinky. Best solution is to just use braid instead.

Another tip is to retie your fishing knots every so often, especially if the line has sat for a long time like over winter.

Edit: Oh and as for back reeling, good luck. I had a spincast reel that the drag gave out and I had to back reel if I caught a half decent fish. It was a royal pain and completely useless on high fighting fish like trout.

cube
07-05-2013, 08:37 PM
The guy on the show seems like a melodramatic poser to me.

Do you know his background?

EZM
07-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Do you know his background?

What's the point of debating my personal opinion?

The guy is overly dramatic ............ that's my opinion ........... so what?

Big deal .........

fish gunner
07-05-2013, 10:51 PM
I saw that episode too, and agree with you 100%.

Buy a good quality reel and you should never have any issues with line twist.

I can't remember this EVER being an issue for me - so, based on this premise, there really is NO ISSUE.

Use a swivel - and buy a decent reel - easy solution and no need to fancy back reel a fish ........ I laughed when I saw the episode. The guy on the show seems like a melodramatic poser to me.

Its actually a little bit classic. Any drag on a spinning out fit is causing a little twist .
In match fishing with vry lite line its a must on larger fish.

EZM
07-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Its actually a little bit classic. Any drag on a spinning out fit is causing a little twist .
In match fishing with vry lite line its a must on larger fish.

I have used braided line on most of my set-ups ( 2 dozen or so rods/reels) for 20 years now - braid simply does not twist, has zero memory and is limp by design.

The two other set ups, both with a limp mono (berkley XL), which is designed to be low memory and limp I have had zero issues. Despite this particular mono having high stretch - I have had no issues.

Both spinning reels are good high quality Abu Garcia reels.

I use one on a long 8' medium light power, moderate action, trolling rod for kokanees and the other, a ultra light fast action for perch/trout.

I run swivels on all my outfits as well. I have never had an issue with any evidence of line twist on those reels ever despite having handled some scrappy trout which peel line and run like crazy.

My theory is older line, improperly stored caused memory as the line becomes less pliable with time and probably is much more prone to twisting. Put that in combination with a $29 spinning reel, no swivels and maybe you can be in trouble with twist.

cube
07-05-2013, 11:50 PM
What's the point of debating my personal opinion?

The guy is overly dramatic ............ that's my opinion ........... so what?

Big deal .........

Because sometimes spouting off without knowing some of the facts can make one sound ignorant. That's all.

EZM
07-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Because sometimes spouting off without knowing some of the facts can make one sound ignorant. That's all.

I completely agree with you ...................:)

fish gunner
07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
I have used braided line on most of my set-ups ( 2 dozen or so rods/reels) for 20 years now - braid simply does not twist, has zero memory and is limp by design.

The two other set ups, both with a limp mono (berkley XL), which is designed to be low memory and limp I have had zero issues. Despite this particular mono having high stretch - I have had no issues.

Both spinning reels are good high quality Abu Garcia reels.

I use one on a long 8' medium light power, moderate action, trolling rod for kokanees and the other, a ultra light fast action for perch/trout.

I run swivels on all my outfits as well. I have never had an issue with any evidence of line twist on those reels ever despite having handled some scrappy trout which peel line and run like crazy.

My theory is older line, improperly stored caused memory as the line becomes less pliable with time and probably is much more prone to twisting. Put that in combination with a $29 spinning reel, no swivels and maybe you can be in trouble with twist.

Sorry guy dont care what your spinning reels worth . most line twist is a product of lateral line sorage being converted to linear line release . Yes good quality swivels will prevent most line twist and yes braid will resist twist to a point . Get a plug tangled at 4.5mph and even braid with very good terminal gear will twist.back winding will help only when fighting a fish. Have your opinion back winding its still a difficult skill to aquire.

pikergolf
07-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Hooks, check every hook every time you put a lure on, biggest thing a person can do to catch more fish. Not sure about now, but treble hooks used to be crap out of the box, especially on spoons, made me wonder how anyone caught fish. A hook file is my friend.

EZM
07-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Hooks, check every hook every time you put a lure on, biggest thing a person can do to catch more fish. Not sure about now, but treble hooks used to be crap out of the box, especially on spoons, made me wonder how anyone caught fish. A hook file is my friend.

The snap rings too - I have some brand new Rapala lures just simply open up like a cheap wire after a fight or two.

I found the larger sized rattalin' raps (larger rings) to be especially weak - I changed them out to wolverines (3 coils) and they are much stronger.

fish gunner
07-06-2013, 12:57 AM
×3Terminal tackle is money well spent .high quality hooks, swivels, snaps are the working end of angling . Owner , sampo, radiant are a high standard for a beginner. Line is a tough call. $$ is a big factor you can spend a great deal on new super lines . I have power pro 30-10 on my big trolling out fits .standard 30 on my lure chukers . I do also have an old mitchel with 6 spare spools loaded with mono from 4-15 lbs. Application really makes a big differance. Jigging,super lines cant be beat . General creek,river casting 8- 15 lb mono would serve most beginners.

chriscosta
07-06-2013, 01:31 AM
when you land a fish if it aint a monster if you turn the fish upside down it wont flip out which makes it easier to quickly take the hook out and if your loading a tin boat on the roof af a van or suv slice a line the long way on pool noodles and slide em on the side edge of the boat to prevent scratches also circle hooks are your best friend when using bait

TROLLER
07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Swivels, braid, high end reels.

SHEESH TOO DEEP FOR ME:)