PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Grayling in Spruce Coulee

qualityknots
07-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Was out in the Cypress Hills over the long weekend and due to emergency flooding Spruce Coulee was the recipient of approx 4000 Arctic Grayling.

Anyone had luck catching any yet?

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r787/b_tm/photo_zps48cd65cb.jpg (http://s1367.photobucket.com/user/b_tm/media/photo_zps48cd65cb.jpg.html)

Shabbadoo
07-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Interesting. I haven't been to Spruce yet this year but I'll have to check this out as I've never caught Grayling before.

whitetail Junkie
07-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Thats kind of interesting....ive caught arctic grayling at bear pond before,however ive never ate one before,however......

On that note,alot of them 15cm grayling are going to get ripped apart by some of them big brookies in spruce.

Fishfinder
07-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Ssshhhhhh!! Hehe, jus kiddn!

Heard about this also, hoping to get out there later this week. Yet to fish for Grayling anywhere. Excited, woohoo! The big bows kept me busy today at BHead.:)
I agree WJ, I'd be willing to bet a decent percentage of them lil Grayling have already been devoured by the Brookies.

Will post report if i manage to get out there soon. No idea what to chuck at em. Spinners n flys from the kayak will be my attack plan.

Wonder which waters exactly they came from?

whitetail Junkie
07-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Ssshhhhhh!! Hehe, jus kiddn!

Heard about this also, hoping to get out there later this week. Yet to fish for Grayling anywhere. Excited, woohoo! The big bows kept me busy today at BHead.:)
I agree WJ, I'd be willing to bet a decent percentage of them lil Grayling have already been devoured by the Brookies.

Will post report if i manage to get out there soon. No idea what to chuck at em. Spinners n flys from the kayak will be my attack plan.

Wonder which waters exactly they came from?

The only Two grayling I ever caught were on little spinners,but im guessing they eat the same as trout? ....you think there must be some in there already over 35cm? Im interested in seeing them grow,but not reallyinterested in going out there to target 6" grayling....espicially when the walleye bite is on.

Soon2flypat
09-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm headed that way this weekend. Has anybody caught any grayling yet? Would love to hook into a few nice brookies and if I managed a couple grayling that would be another species off the bucket list. Any info as to tactics this time of year would be great.

Fish-Taco
09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I managed to get a couple on a small olive leech fly outta there two weeks after they put them in. Not sure how big they are now but i believe they were between 6-8 inches on the average. Hopefully by ice up they will have fattened up a bit :bad_boys_20:

Fishfinder
09-10-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm headed that way this weekend. Has anybody caught any grayling yet? Would love to hook into a few nice brookies and if I managed a couple grayling that would be another species off the bucket list. Any info as to tactics this time of year would be great.

Spruce is tough in the summer. Very tough. I went after them Grayling twice so far, ended up with 3 Brookies landed. That's in about 10 hrs of fishing. Tried many tactics, spoons, spinners, jigs, worms, fly fishing. Tough! Trolled the entire lake by kayak several times thinking the Grayling found a hiding spot away from all the brookies in the main area. Nata, not even a nibble. Did find some very deep weedy spots at the far end, maybe they are hiding there I dunno. Love the challenge but man, hard to find.

Last time out(2weeks ago) there was myself, 2 friends, and about half dozen other kayaks n pontoons out there. I caught 2 small brookies on spinners early early before another boat hit the lake. The rest if the day nobody caught nothing including me. But....that's fishing....

Winter however.....the fatties start biting....and taste delightful when smoked. Brookies that is. The Grayling errr, I dunno, I hope are still there...n growing:)

Good luck, ya never know. :)

Soon2flypat
09-10-2013, 09:27 AM
The brookies have got to be eating something. Surely there is a way to catch them. This is starting to sound like a challenge.

Fishfinder
09-10-2013, 10:18 AM
The brookies have got to be eating something. Surely there is a way to catch them. This is starting to sound like a challenge.

It's a great challenge. That lake has ample food for the Brookies hence why it can be difficult. Tons of minnows in there, ample vegetation n bugs, n if u wade out...make sure to check yourself for leetches. Beautiful lake, if the fish ain't biting, go for a trek, wonderful area. Watch out for cougars:)Jk....sorta.

Cheers.

Soon2flypat
09-10-2013, 01:58 PM
With the water temp starting to cool, will the brook trout be getting ready to spawn? Any idea how this may affect feeding habits?

Kaden555
11-28-2013, 12:20 PM
With the water temp starting to cool, will the brook trout be getting ready to spawn? Any idea how this may affect feeding habits?

The brookies in Spruce are triploid which means they can't reproduce. However the grayling stocked happen to be diploid so they can reproduce. I was only there twice this summer and haven't been able to catch any grayling.

sportster
11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
don't think any fish is going to reproduce in that manmade reservoir. pretty sure they require flowing water such as a creek to spawn

Soon2flypat
11-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Anybody check the ice there yet?

Icatchfish
11-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Anybody check the ice there yet?

ya I'd love to hear any updates guys

Fish-Taco
12-02-2013, 09:05 PM
I was out there a couple weeks ago and there was about 6", if not more, of ice. Id say with this cold snap there will be closer to 8 or more on there by now. Ill be home on wed and hopefully heading out there to catch my first hard water fish of the season on the weekend.