PDA

View Full Version : Good fishing place to take a kid

lobre370
07-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm taking my 9 year old sister fishing tomorrow, not sure exactly where to go, i was thinking Allen bill pond, but i'm not sure about the condition it in

smitty9
07-03-2013, 03:44 PM
I may be mistaken, check with local fly shops in Calgary.

But I think Allen Bill pond was totally destroyed in the flood. Better double check.

I take it you're from Calgary or Southern AB?

I think one of the reservoirs has decent shore fishing - like Spruce Coulee or something. Or maybe checkout Dewitt's pond.

I would definitely phone though - try Bow River Troutfitters or Fish Tales fly shop.

Smitty

rccam1
07-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Pine Coulee. Fish right off the dock

lobre370
07-03-2013, 04:33 PM
thanks for the help, she will most likely want to eat what she catches if she catches something, so pine coulee wont work, but id agree that it is a great place for kids

MTB_FlyFisher
07-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Agreed that calling a shop to check conditions is probably a good thing.

You won't be able to get to Allen Bill. Rumor has it that the flooding river has completely reclaimed that pond, however you wouldn't be able to check since the bridge over the elbow is out and fording the river is a bit out of the question with a 9YO.

Highway 40 is currently open up to wedge pond and highway 68 is open all the way from the transcanada to the 40. This means that you'd possibly be able to get to mount lorette ponds, wedge pond, sibbald lake, or sibbald meadows pond. I personally have no idea how any of these look after the flooding so hopefully someone else may be able to chime in.
(information re. highway 40 and areas can be found HERE (http://www.albertaparks.ca/kananaskis-country/advisories-public-safety/kananaskis-closed-areas-(including-highways).aspx))

Other options north of the city as mentioned are DeWitt's pond or nose creek pond (Airdrie).

South of the city (and with a bit of a drive) would put you towards Lee's lake, chinook (Alison) lake, beauvais lake, or beaver mines lake; all in the crowsnest area. Again, I'm unsure how any of these are fishing since I haven't been out that way since the floods.

Hope that helps and that a few others will chime in with any post-flood experiances at any of the lakes to help your daughter get into some fish!

azn_rice_man
07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Sibbald Meadows Pond is fine and wasn't affected by the flooding. We were there on Monday but the bite was few and far inbetween. Not sure if you want to take a kid there. Also, the ground is pretty wet... Beautiful scenery though!

Flieguy
07-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I might take my girlfriend fly fishing to pine coulee tomorrow, only her third time ever.

Buddy went last week mix of fly and spin and caught 57 in 4 hours from the dock. Let me know if you plan on going there tomorrow. I've never been skunked there

wildcat111
07-03-2013, 10:34 PM
i would recommend dewitts pond, its close to calgary and the fishing is easy

epicangler
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
is lorette ponds restocked? good condition

epicangler
07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
there's still fish in dewitts?

deanna
07-30-2013, 07:41 PM
The Kinsman pond in Strathmore always kept my nephews busy for hours, Valvetta cheese & a pickeral rig. There should be some fair size rainbows in there by now

dopemop
07-30-2013, 08:11 PM
I would go with sibbald lake rather than pond, every time I've been or read post about the pond It hasn't had great success...from my own experience the lake is better, although as its heavily fished it might be a little harder to get one as its been awhile since they stocked.. I think.

OneGirlWolfPack
07-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Pine coulee res was crazy fun! We caught 31 fish there today. It was nice and quiet too so that was a bonus :)

epicangler
07-30-2013, 10:14 PM
but it has mercury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gust
07-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Pine coulee res was crazy fun! We caught 31 fish there today. It was nice and quiet too so that was a bonus :)

Were abouts were you? We caught 6 nice pike and a gazillion walleye.

OneGirlWolfPack
07-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Were abouts were you? We caught 6 nice pike and a gazillion walleye.

West end out where all those picnic tables and outhouse are. Were you out there today? I didn't catch any pike today. Kinda surprised me.

Gust
07-30-2013, 11:26 PM
West end out where all those picnic tables and outhouse are. Were you out there today? I didn't catch any pike today. Kinda surprised me.

Southend, by picnic tables but no outhouse,, were you by the beach or the boat launch?

OneGirlWolfPack
07-31-2013, 12:21 AM
I was by the beach. :)

Gust
07-31-2013, 11:20 AM
I was across from there. Was going to walk over but thought it was people swimming and didn't want to start chucking herring around.