PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with question!

banjo
03-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Hello all! I am new to Alberta. Live in Edmonton, and would like advice on close-by flyfishing areas. Can only drive about 1 hour max. from Edmonton, scenery and easy access the most important features needed. Not necessarily need alot of sucess in the fish catching area, need more of the ambience and casting opportunity, for as one once said: "Fly fishing is not the taking of fish, but being at one with the stream/river and all the sights and sounds."

Thanks for any suggestions.

banjo

wildman
03-26-2007, 02:29 PM
hey banjo!!!
you're kinda hooped if you want a nice river within an hour of e-town!!!
within 1.5 hrs. however, you get the pembina by barrhead, the freeman by barrhead, red deer river by red deer, prarie creek by sylvan lake. if you go 2-3 hrs west there's a ton of good rivers. close to e-town, there's lots of pothole trout lakes with big trout but that's it for trout. GOOD LUCK!!!

banjo
03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Wow! Thank you Wildman, that helps greatly! Maybe I can go 1.5 hrs, and get some of your recommended rivers. Can you give me the name of a few of the 'pothole' lakes that are nearby?

sheep hunter
03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
I hear the North Sask has some great goldeye action...I'm sure Bigbore or someone can give you more details!

wildman
03-26-2007, 02:43 PM
absolutely!!!
the NSR is an awesome c'n'r spot right in town for 'eyes, pike, goldeyes, but no trout...
the potholes within a hour include east pit, cardiff, morinville res., star, hasse, and many, many more!!!!

banjo
03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
What hospitality here in Alberta! Thank you Wildman, great information, and I will do some checking. You guys are great! They told me Alberta outdoorsmen were the most friendly anywhere, and you guys have proven it!

TeckMan AB
03-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Banjo

I'm new here to in Alberta, seeking the same type of river.

In my search I have always found Topo maps an excellent tool for finding the perfect trout streams to test.

Here is a link to the Canadian Natural res. map site

atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/en...s/topo/map (http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map)

SRP71
03-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Check out the new Edition of BARRY MITCHELS ALBERTA FISHING GUIDE.It will help you out tremendously.You can find it at any good news stand(I got mine at 7-11),Tiawan Tire should carry it too,as well as any of the fishing/outdoors stores.

drteith
03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Here's a list of popular local trout lakes in the Edmonton area.

mikemonteith.tripod.com/flyfishingedmonton/id3.html (http://mikemonteith.tripod.com/flyfishingedmonton/id3.html)

Cheers,
Doc

kanonfodder
03-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Mike Old Man where ya been haven't seen you around for a while. Whatcha doin now days? Did you ever sell your share IN you know where? Think the Purple bar that used to be down the street from yours you'll figure who this is....anyway nice seeing your still around..........:p

drteith
03-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Hey dude, good to hear from you. Yah, I sold my shares at Santannas and I'm now a controls electrician. I'm thinking of going back to school right away to become an EMT (something I've always wanted to do). If you're around for the fishin' hole outdoor show drop by the TU booth (bucket raffle draw). I should be there Thursday, Friday & Sunday. Later dude!

Cheers,
Doc