PDA

View Full Version : NSR in SW Edmonton

fallen1817
07-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Hey Everyone, I recently bought a house in SW Edmonton, and I cross the river on henday every day on my way to work. I have a low car so I can't see the water conditions, but I am tempted to wet a line in it one day before work.

I fly fish and spincast, but what method would be best?
A jig and minnow?
What flies work well for goldeye?
Does the water have to clear up for a fly to be effective?
Are there any good access points near that bridge or would I have to travel some side roads?
Anyone interested in a morning fish? I'll have to stock up on a few things first!

Thanks all,

Jeff

honu
07-03-2013, 09:30 PM
We live just N of the Henday bridge near the Solicitor General Staff College, just a short 15 min hike down to the river (but longer hike up). If you take Riverbend Road off of Terwillegar, then left on Heath you will come to a bunch of power lines. Park there and there is a nice paved path that will take you down towards the river, and ultimately under the Henday bridge (there is a pedestrian bridge under the Henday bridge). There are a few trails that lead to the river, later in the year it gets really overgrown in areas.

We have had some luck and like it as it is very convenient. I have been wanting to check out access south of the bridge in the new neighborhood. I know you can get right close to the river at the River Ridge Golf course but have not fished there yet.

1bluZebec
07-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Hey there I live on SW side as well and have fished all over that area on both sides. Thing have been changing quite abit now but access is still plentiful if you explore a little. You can park by either gate and walk down which is really quite the hike like the other fellow said but usually nice time. If you got a 4x4 and like to climb big hills there are way easier ways to get a lot closer :) up to you. You can also get to the river through epcor by going through Cameron heights. Windermere golf course gives you an say hike to the rivers edge aswell ;) look around all those areas and there are even more ways to nice day of fishing. Good luck;)

Graffy91
07-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey Everyone, I recently bought a house in SW Edmonton, and I cross the river on henday every day on my way to work. I have a low car so I can't see the water conditions, but I am tempted to wet a line in it one day before work.

I fly fish and spincast, but what method would be best?
A jig and minnow?
What flies work well for goldeye?
Does the water have to clear up for a fly to be effective?
Are there any good access points near that bridge or would I have to travel some side roads?
Anyone interested in a morning fish? I'll have to stock up on a few things first!

Thanks all,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I also live super close to the Henday bridge, and people are always pulled of to the side of the road.

Just remember, theres fish everywhere, just gotta find what they want!

Explore, have fun, remember fishing isn't always catching!