PDA

View Full Version : Personal Pontoons

Zac Chichak
07-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Hey guys I have been looking into purchasing an individual pontoon for some time now and was wondering if anyone could share some of the little things that I would be over looking. I mean some of the small perks that some pontoons have over the others, because as of right now my only criteria is a motor mount, and a price lower than 550.

The pontoon I have been pondering is the Creek Company Super Sport XR1 Pontoon Boat.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_322684_999_alt02_01?rgn=0,0,2000,929&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=1dGpxHeEqOrsRL1oZE9dkd

Any suggestions are welcome,
Thanks

-- Zac C

Wild&Free
07-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Oar locks. Check them out since you're going to be using them quiet frequently. Make sure they're secure, and the construction/design is durable and effective.

Good seat. Very important as a sore back is no fun when on the water.

Storage, lots of it, and easy to access.

Foot pegs is something else you should take a look at. Are the adjustable, do they pivot, are they long/short enough, do they sit at a comfortable angle for you.

I've been looking into buying one myself for a few years and those are the most common pieces of advice I've gotten.

Deo101
07-04-2013, 09:06 AM
If you think you'll mostly be trolling around id look at length. (longer the better) They're a royal pain in rear to troll. Best way I've found is to go in reverse and use a paddle to steer. I have a fish cat and love it. They are well built and they really stand behind their product. I believe the one I have is priced close to what your after. Has a motor mount... mesh spot for battery, metal would be better. Some of the cheaper ones I'd be a lot more nervous on the river.

Zac Chichak
07-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys ill take all of this into consideration.

Deo, I have heard lots of people say trolling is awful in the pontoons, but is it still not better than rowing? Thanks for advice on the backwards trolling advice sounds like that could work.

Deo101
07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Near impossible to troll.... in reverse, steering with paddle works well though. Way better than patteling across a lake. Doesn't leave any hands free unless you get a rod holder. though.

Deo101
07-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Near impossible to steer with motor I should say.

Zac Chichak
07-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Maybe I will jerry rig a rotor that I can steer with. I plan to fish bigger lakes Ex. Wabumun so I definitely need to be capable of steering. (but heaven forbid I row with my arms) lol.

Wild&Free
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Get some flippers for trolling. Still hands free and some of the toon/tube flippers will get you some good thrust.

Zac Chichak
07-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Does somebody know whats a good size motor to put on a 9 foot pontoon?

Deo101
07-04-2013, 12:10 PM
9hp would be fun....lol. I have a 40thrust and it does the job. Even in reverse. Try to get a light battery though. I have super heave deep cycle that really ways the back of boat down. I have been planning on trying the flippers out on mine. It's so nice to have you hands free like in a belly boat.

32-40win
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM
When you start adding trolling motor and battery, consider the weight capacity of the boat. A lot are only rated 300lbs, some are less, then some are up to 450.
Between the batt and motor, figure 75lbs min., then add you and your gear.
IE; Outcast Discovery 9ft series are 450lb rated, Fishcats are 300 (?), and some other makes are in the "less" category, some as low as 250.
Seat has to be adjustable to balance the boat, needs a hard pan on the back for the battery.
I have seen some setups to mount the motor up front, all home made.

Deo101
07-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Motor up front would be a good idea. Mine has mesh for where the battery goes and it's kind of weak. I should build a plywood mount or something.

Zac Chichak
07-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I believe the pontoon which I am considering is rated for 375lbs. As I weigh 215lbs and a battery / motor is around 75 lbs that gives me 85 lbs of gear to haul. Personally I think that it is more than enough for all of my gear. Earlier on the thread I asked for motor size, and I actually went out and purchased a Minn Kota 55lbs, and I am assuming this is way more than enough power.

32-40win
07-04-2013, 12:56 PM
55 will work reallllly well. And you can use it on a hard hull as well. I have a 40, that zips a 9ft Outcast right along. Works well on a 14ft V-hull also.
I only use it when travelling from A to B, or when the wind gets up and need to go against it. May find you will want a small drift sock sometimes, to keep speed down.

Cory Friesen
07-04-2013, 02:25 PM
I have a outcast discovery 9ir with a 55 minn Kota endura max on it. It is a variable speed motor so you can dial it in to whatever speed you want. I have a 27 group deep cycle battery and you can go a whole weekend without charging the battery. When I first used the pontoon boat with the trolling motor it was horrible. It doesn't like to go straight at all. I went out on a larger lake and thought I should bring the oars along just in case. I have oar holders that hold The oars against the side of the pontoons. The oars act like a rudder and now the pontoon tracks like it should. You can set the trolling motor and it will drive straight by itself. Now I have no problem trolling hands free or cruising along a shoreline casting at the bank.
Cory

Wild&Free
07-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Never saw the picture on my first couple posts, the oar locks on that one don't look to be the greatest. Heard a few guys say the ones that clamp onto the oar aren't very good, stress on the oar shaft when rowing. Best ones, I've been told, are the simple eyelets with the oar securing to the oar locks, not the other way around.

Cory Friesen
07-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I just noticed that the fishin hole has the fishcat 9ir on sale for $589.95. The oar holders are really called blade rests and are made by outcast.

Zac Chichak
07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
that is actually a really great price considering on outcasts website it says retail is 719.00..
Thanks Cory ill take a look tonight.

Bhflyfisher
07-04-2013, 07:53 PM
steering with fins while the motor is in reverse is a cake walk when you figure out how to kick in one direction. Pretty nice way to troll.

joe_manix
07-04-2013, 09:23 PM
good thread, I myself been looking at this model from cabelas. its a Creek Company Sport LT its on sale right now for 199$. I figure not a bad for small ponds and lake but im no expert so what do guys think?

Zac Chichak
07-05-2013, 09:43 AM
The Deal at TFH is still on and for the fish cat 9 IR it comes out to 559.00. I think that might be the boat I am going to buy unless they well ship the Creek Company super sport XR 1 for free, either way ill post pictures.

Heron
07-05-2013, 11:33 AM
One important factor not mentioned is the material and thickness of the bladders. You want it to be high quality. My 10 year old Fishcat 9 has never had any problems but my brother's less expensive Fishccat has weaker bladders and I wouldn't even go out in it.

jaydub99
07-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't own one but have used my buddy's (I forget what model it is). It was annoying with the motor. I think the weight affects how it sits int he water and that makes it hard to steer? I ended up taking it off and just using the oars and a rod holder. I see lots of people trolling this way. If I get one, I won't bother with a motor.

msk
07-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Just a question on this....do you need your boat operators license to operate one of these once you stick an electric trolling motor on it?

Fritze
07-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Costco has one for roughly $300. I just purchase it but havent got it wet yet.

Comes with rod holder and trolling motor mount. And the nice thing about Costco is thay will return anything you bring back, if youre not satisfied.

Zac Chichak
07-10-2013, 09:50 AM
So I was ready to purchase one of the FichCat boats when I came across Fishlander, which is a Canadian Company that is located in BC. There product looks amazing and it is sold straight from manufacturing so there is no retail pricing. If you are considering a personal pontoon do not hesitate to check it out. I am so excited to get my pontoon.

dalray
07-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Just a question on this....do you need your boat operators license to operate one of these once you stick an electric trolling motor on it?

Yes you do regardless of boat size or engine power or size