PDA

View Full Version : Foster arm kinbasket lake

billycap
07-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Heading out early in the morning tomorrow. Going the 75km down to foster arm. Fishing buddy pulled a no go last moment so I've got 80 liters of fuel a cooler stuffed with beer, fine bush grub and an open spot (or 2) available. Know it's too far a drive for most of u but I thought I'd throw out the offer anyway. Coming back Monday or Tuesday depending on weather.

Cheers n tight lines folks

Nakoda boater
07-05-2013, 01:55 PM
sOUNDS LIKE FUN!
What species and sizes come out of the Kinbasket?

billycap
07-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Burbot to 15lbs, rainbows to 5lbs, bull trout to 10+lbs, smaller Kokanee ,rocky whites and northern pike minnow. Gold panning and gem prospecting also. Rough untapped country make your own campsite kinda camping.

Nakoda boater
07-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Burbot to 15lbs, rainbows to 5lbs, bull trout to 10+lbs, smaller Kokanee ,rocky whites and northern pike minnow. Gold panning and gem prospecting also. Rough untapped country make your own campsite kinda camping.

Sounds Sweet.
I imagine one would have to have a firearm...

billycap
07-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Always bring the .450 with me. Most animals I've came across back there have never seen a human so they can be curious. never had any troubles other than the odd bear raiding my cooler. A little pre bed time target practice eliminates night time visitors. Never met a bear that didn't bail like it was on fire when a warning shot was fired. In short it's a gun friendly place

Winch101
07-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Been told by relatives in Quesnel that the basket is a dangerous
Lake ,lots of trees floating around.....True or no

billycap
07-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Very true. Not a place to come if your into high speed boating or water skiing. Jet boats don't do well cause they plug up alot. Average top speed for me is less than 15km/h and must be prepared to stop in a sheltered bay if the wind picks up and 6+ft whitecaps come in. I'd highly recommend a boat that can take larger water and going with someone that knows the lake for your first couple trips. On the good side the dangerous part keeps the ppl away and it's not uncommon to have a bay you can call your own for a weekend. Camped down at foster for 3 weeks afew summers ago and never saw another human the whole time.

billycap
07-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Well 60L of gas a sun burn a hangover and i made another solo trip to fosters and back alive. Hit some bad weather and had some bear trouble that cost me 2 burbs. Other than that it was a sweet trip! More rainbows than i could count off the cliffs (even made the 50ft plunge during the mid day heat). Bulls from the bulldog and burbs from the ptarmigan. Smacked a few deadheads in between the 30-40km mark but no real damage. No monsters but plenty. Next week ill try again for a beast!

steviebabc123
05-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Sounds like an excellent trip!! I am thinking of heading to Kinbasket this weekend for a couple of days fishing :) Any advice for a newbie on this lake ??/ I was thinking off launching at Kinbasket Marina and trolling about from there. I have a 16ft SMOKERCRAFT with 75hp and a 9.9 kicker for trolling so im not to worried about the waves..

steviebabc123
05-07-2014, 10:33 PM
I found out i wouldn`t be able to launch my boat till june as the water is too low at the moment. I will plan a trip again for sure though :)

billycap
05-08-2014, 03:04 AM
The water is about 50ft away from the bottom of the launch right now. Its usually car toppers only till june 1. Even then make sure your very comfy backing your boat up. You back down 100ft then a hard left turn and down another 50ft to the water. Fishin is better when there is less water. Also most of the floating debris is at higher water marks so it more boat friendly early in the season. Good luck n shoot me a pm if u decide to give it a try.

McLeod
05-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Good to see your are still doing those great adventures. Your Fortress lake trip will always stay in my mind. You put the survivorman to shame ! Take care my friend..

billycap
05-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Did that last small boat trip of the season with the same friend that did fortress over the last 5 days. The weather was pretty brutal for 12ft tinners. Rode a lot of sketchy water to make it all the way down. Rained the whole 4 days. No where to take out/camp except uncovered silt benches in flash flood alleys. I got fine mica sand/mud all over everything. Fishing was decent for what water time i could get due to to weather. Pretty murky and low still. A few big dead heads out already. A worthy adventure as always!

Big Bull
05-25-2014, 11:33 AM
I'd love to get out there some day. Have you ever fished around the Wood Arm? I can't beleive that you are going on Kinbasket in those small boats!

billycap
05-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Wood arm is a pretty far stretch for boats that size. It would take a week in a tinner. It could become too much in a hurry so staying within a couple hundred yards of shore is a good idea. You could bring a larger V boat but there is no where to pull out this time of year. You can anchor in a bay but flash floods are common so you take a chance either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1-m_wFGfI&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22kKGTkuVI

harrydude
05-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Years back we stayed up at the campsite there and nothing around no wild life

billycap
05-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Years back we stayed up at the campsite there and nothing around no wild life
What kind of wildlife were you hoping to see? The only animals that are lacking are waterfowl due to the raising/lowering of water levels. The bush back there is alive with critters. You actually have to go into the bush though. If your looking for wildlife that will come right up to you, I suggest you stick with jasper

steviebabc123
06-15-2014, 10:01 PM
sounds like you know this lake like the back off your hand Billy!! How is the water level now?? Is it still a good bit of the slip ? Thanks for your advice before i will make sure i contact you when i come for my planned trip!!

billycap
06-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Lake is about 2/3 full. Its still a ways down at the launch but its strait back now at least. Its big boat ready! Went camping just overnight a few days ago while testing out my new bush buggy. Caught lots of small rainbows and a nice sized ling and bull trout between 2 of us.