PDA

View Full Version : Titanium leaders

Jason66
07-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Bought some titanium leaders (18" 30lb) at exsile outdoors in cold lake the other day. A little pricey but was told they will not kink or deform. Anybody have any experience with these?

RavYak
07-06-2013, 08:24 AM
They are great but it is very annoying when you lose one since they are so expensive. Don't skimp on line with them because of this(unless you have money to burn). I only use it with 20+ lb braid otherwise I settle with a steel leader if I need one.

It is amazing seeing the difference the titanium leaders have on lure action as well, a kinked leader will severely hamper some lures action and a titanium leader fixes that issue.

pechetr
07-06-2013, 09:09 AM
I was tired of the steel leaders as well and was looking at the titanium. Decided to make my own Flouro leaders instead. Haven't lost a leader or a fish since. Saved a pile of money too.

Wild&Free
07-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I won't be using steel leaders unless I lose all my titanium ones. Well worth the money imo.

Fritze
07-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Ill have to pick some up n try em out.

But I went away from steel leaders when I realized I can buy a spool of fluoro and some high quality ball bearing snap swivels and rig up my own. Havent broken or lost one yet, no kinks, and you can customize length and type of snaps you want.

Morph1
07-06-2013, 01:18 PM
I bought 1 four years ago, still using the same one today best thing you can spend your money on, indestructible, outlasting anything out there...

chriscosta
07-06-2013, 02:03 PM
I bought 1 four years ago, still using the same one today best thing you can spend your money on, indestructible, outlasting anything out there...me too ive used the same titanium leader for years winter and summer i cant even remember when the last time i bought one was combined with 5o pound tuff line or better youll never break off ever and you wont be buying any more leaders or line for years and trust me its pulled in some real big pike and in a hurry too less stress on the fish is a good result your hooks will bend long beffore your line or leader fails

EZM
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I was tired of the steel leaders as well and was looking at the titanium. Decided to make my own Flouro leaders instead. Haven't lost a leader or a fish since. Saved a pile of money too.

Me too - although a roll of fluorocarbon leader material (30 yards) costs like $30 or so - I made some leaders for myself, friends and anyone I take fishing.

Used high quality swivel/snaps and each 24" leader ends up costing around $3 or so.

I use 80 lb for big pike and have a roll of 40 lb for other applications.

They are super strong, last as long as a titanium leader, supple and invisible under water.

The also are far less likely to cut the fish, or your hand when the fish is twisted up or you attempt to grab the leader to release the fish without taking it out of the water.

I have landed hundreds of pike on one leader ....... very few tiny surface nicks in the line and it is super strong and will probably last another year .....

I will probably never use anything else ........

Don't get me wrong - titanium leader are far better than regular steel leaders but fluorocarbon is just one step better in my books.

footnote; keep in mind fluorocarbon leader material is NOT the same as fluorocarbon line - not every fishing store has the material in stock - it has high abrasion properties not found in regular fluorocarbon line.

Jason66
07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Thks for all the feedback everyone. I might have to try the flourocarbon as well.

dodger
07-06-2013, 07:25 PM
4 years of Pike fishing with the same leader and still going strong :)

Dodger.

huntsfurfish
07-06-2013, 07:47 PM
I favour titanium or fluorocarbon leaders.

chriscosta
07-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I favour titanium or fluorocarbon leaders.
for pike i find its a must who knows what ya might catch youd be kickin yourself if ya lost the biggest pike of your life due to cheap leaders

buckman
07-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Buy some NOT TO KINKY leader material and make your own.Cheaper and simple.You can use a regular clinch knot then cover it with a sleeve or shrink tubing.

dfrobert
07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Buy some NOT TO KINKY leader material and make your own.Cheaper and simple.You can use a regular clinch knot then cover it with a sleeve or shrink tubing.

Tried that stuff, I found it to be complete garbage. IT kinks, which it isn't suppose to do, and also the knots slip.

Titanium leaders are the way to go. You will spend more on steel leaders that kink, fray, etc in the long run. Used only 1 titanium leader on our fly in fishing trip this year and it was still looking brand new after a week of hammering pike daily. I'm sold on the titanium leaders!

Zuludog
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
It's all I use for BIG pike and HUGE lakers. I've had some of the same leaders for 6 or 7 years now and I haul in some decent fish every year. They are well worth the money, I've seen guys loser trophy fish with cheap steel leaders and even heavy mono ones.

Wild&Free
07-10-2013, 06:37 PM
word to the wise. If you take a family member out who hasn't fished in a while, particularly flowing water with large rocks, don't let them use your rod with the titanium leader. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

The steel replacement was kinked a half hour later.:angry3: