PDA

View Full Version : Pike fishing in Calgary?

Irishtrout
07-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Guys is there many lakes in Calgary to pike fish? and is winter the best time to catch them there also? here in Ireland i have caught pike to 25 lb sink and drawing using roach and rudd dead baits:) will similar tactics work over there? i am a newbie to Calgary while it will be mostly fly fishing i will be doing in the summer i want to be able to spend the odd day piking. not looking for your honey holes just some general advice thanks:)

jethunter
07-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Not much pike fishing in Calgary. In fact none that I know of.

catchandeat
07-06-2013, 11:49 AM
The only lake in calgary that has pike is Glenmore Reservoir. 99% of the pike are under 4lbs, pretty much all are hammer handles. The res is also closed to fishing in the winter. If your looking to target big pike you'll have to take a drive a couple hours south, some big pike down in the brooks area reservoirs.
:)

Irishtrout
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info mates:) wont be driving for a while wen i get over so will have to make do with flying the bow:) good to hear there is some great piking to be had doh would love to see how they compare to the Irish pike:)

Grizzly Adams
07-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Not much pike fishing in Calgary. In fact none that I know of.

Caught quite a few at Weaselhead. :D Seen a couple of real doozies in the Bow below Bearspaw dam. Chestermere isn't that far either.

Grizz