PDA

View Full Version : Leaky boat

citysfs
07-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Have a 16 ft star craft boat that is a late 70s model. Very stable but have developed a leak that i am having trouble finding. Have taken up the floor and most Aluminum welders shy away from trying to weld it as the metal is thin ( 16ga) double rivited hull. Anyway would like to coat either outside or inside to stop leak. Thought of Armorthane or LineX but it may add 100 lbs to boat and cost is high. Any suggestioons for alternate process?
Thanks
Paul

lifesaflyin
07-06-2013, 01:02 PM
best stuff is go to Canadian tire in the boating isle and find amazing goop marine. it bonds whatever forever and they mean it.

it dries clear and remains flexible. and I think can even be applied underwater.
that stuff sticks and seals unlike anything I have ever seen. I use it on everything.

pikergolf
07-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Fill it with a little water, find the leak, and tighten it with two hammers.

Here is a good thread on it.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=14944

calguy1001
07-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Gluvet is what I used in mine.It's made to patch these boats. Worked great.
Hope that helps

Red Bullets
07-07-2013, 12:47 AM
If all else fails.......Duc tape. On both the inside and outside surfaces.

maybe Coat the area with liquid steel. Drys hard as steel.

Xiph0id
07-07-2013, 08:52 AM
best stuff is go to Canadian tire in the boating isle and find amazing goop marine. it bonds whatever forever and they mean it.

it dries clear and remains flexible. and I think can even be applied underwater.
that stuff sticks and seals unlike anything I have ever seen. I use it on everything.

I had a small hole in my fibreglass boat from a screw.
Marine goop worked awesome.
Not sure how well it will work on alum.
But I do agree. Fill boat with water to find.

pappy
07-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Fill the boat with some water and look for water coming out and presto you will find the leak:)

krthegunslinger
07-08-2013, 11:32 AM
I used spray on rubberized undercoating to seal up my boat. Also worked great to seal up my camper roof as it runs into cracks and dries but stays flexible.
4$/can at crappy tire. Every camper should have a can in the closet.