PDA

View Full Version : Lake McGregor - July 6/2013.

Drullexx
07-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Got there around 7:30 in the morning, from Calgary. Three of us. We caught 8 pike between us. They went after this lure (http://international.stormlures.com/products/wildeye-live-perch) from Wal-mart like crazy. They were all under the limit of 63cm, but thats okay, it was a lot of fun catching them. The above lure is pretty hard to remove if the fish swallows it whole.. really hope the fish didn't die :(

Neverthless, great day fishing. Someone I had gone ice fishing with like 6 times and spring fishing a few times, and had caught nothing, redeemed herself today. Another friend caught his first fish ever. Wish we had got that on camera, it was really funny. He had no idea what to do once the fish was reeled in, kind of panicked.

As I've read on these forums, the north end along the dam wall is a hotspot. http://goo.gl/maps/s7eV3 - though it's all done on rocks, so very easy to slip and get hurt. I fell backwards today, feet slipped out from under me. Luckily I didn't split my skull, just landed on a flat area.

Might head back there again next weekend :)

chriscosta
07-06-2013, 08:17 PM
holy crap did ya have to go through his back end to get your hook back lol just kidding glad to hear you guys had a good trip ive seen some gooders come from that lake over by milo

Gust
07-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Please invest in a good net with an extension handle or add your own with an old broom handle.

Drullexx
07-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Please invest in a good net with an extension handle or add your own with an old broom handle.

Yeah thats one our required items for next time we head out. Maybe some kind of fish handling gloves too. Are they safe for the fish?

Gust
07-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah thats one our required items for next time we head out. Maybe some kind of fish handling gloves too. Are they safe for the fish?

I think some of the gloves are even nastier than nets,, you can pick up a pike nicely from the top side to the back of the gill plates if needed,, I'll hold them this way for release with them in the water. But, get a good rubber stretch net - less tangles with terminal tackle and easier on the fish.

Glad you had fun, and, there are far better shore fishing areas than the north wall, save that for ice fishing.:)

Drullexx
07-06-2013, 09:31 PM
get a good rubber stretch net - less tangles with terminal tackle and easier on the fish.

Will look into this. Memories as a kid of fishing nets = everything gets all tangled and stupid.

Glad you had fun, and, there are far better shore fishing areas than the north wall, save that for ice fishing.:)

Better shore spots? Can you point a couple out? The rocks were so crappy, we all got scrapes and bruises lol

ty!

220swifty
07-07-2013, 12:00 AM
I was using the same lure at Gull yesterday, and had the same issue. I may try it with the treble hook removed, to simplify removal.