PDA

View Full Version : Queen Charlotte fishing...looking for info

Michael_Brown
07-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I am heading the the Queen Charlottes(Hawdi Gwaii) for a week in early August and was wondering if anyone had information about offshore fishing.
We will be fishing halibut, salmon and rockfish close to shore but reportedly you can get into tuna and other species offshore.
This entire trip will be a blast and the guys I am going with have been several times but have never went offshore and we might explore this time.

Any tips would be appreciated and pm's are also welcome.

Thanks in advance. :)

densa44
07-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Off shore at Haida gwaii, the next land to the west is Japan. The north Pacific is as rough as water gets in this hemisphere. Take all the sea sick meds you can, patches and all, a safe boat, all the safety gear that is required.

There are large whales, orcas and salmon on the surface that are easy to catch, it is a bucket list trip for sure. We were throwing back bigger fish than I had ever caught in my life by the first afternoon because be didn't want to limit out.

The sea was very rough all but one day. Be nice to the mounties, they be the guys coming to find you if something goes wrong.

An a tip from a prairie mountie I met on the water (I was being sick at the time) "don't close your eyes in the shower", excellent advice because your balance is gone.

Be safe and you'll have a great time.

smith88
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
First off, charter a boat with a guide and all of the stuff you need for fishing.

The guide will have the knowledge of where the fish are and what they are biting on at the time. That is probably the best way to get lots of fish.

trouty
07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
just came back last night. Fishing was slower for the last week, but on fire the week before. Bunch of fish moved on and another batch likely on it's way. Can be hit and miss but an awesome experience regardless. Winds were bad from NW so was pretty limiting where you could go, i.e. couple sheltered spots on the east side. No open water when the winds are wrong. Biggest was 30lbs in our group with lots of 15-20lbs. Few smaller halis, surprisingly few cohos around too but still got a few 6-8lbs. Salmon sharks getting caught, humpbacks around, sea lions etc. Magical place. Enjoy.

Scott h
07-08-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm up in Masset for the next couple of weeks but haven't gotten out on the water yet . A neighbour did mentioned last night that the season has been awesome so far and the commmercial chinook season just finished off at midnight last night and the coho season hasn't started yet . Sounds like the trip might work out okay , we just need the wind to cooperate for us . We're going to try for a couple of crabs out on the beach in the morning but unfortunately the clams are closed due to PSP at the moment .