PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Hills report

Fishfinder
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
With the recent river flooding I've been playing with the trouties lately in the nearby area. Will be returning to the sturg hunt shortly...Wayne's 72.5 should be coming my way soon:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Took the wifey and newborn to Reesor for that Sucka comp the other weekend. Fished from shore saturday for a total of bout 5 hrs, chucking out wormies, managed only 3 of em and several trout. Biggest Sucka landed that day was 3. 5+ #lbs(Big for there!) most combined weight was 13+ lbs for the day. Only fished for an hour Sunday, managed one Sucka. Never stuck around for the end. Should have, lots of prizes and not too many fisherfolk. Baby was ready to go though. Was fun weekend, strange targeting Suckas lol.

Went in search of Grayling down at Spruce yesterday. So beautiful there at 6a.m. Morning mist was just coming off lake as I paddled out with kayak. Never hooked into any Grayling but plenty of Brookies, still only managed to bring 1 to boat. Lost several. Trolled spinners for the most part. Attempted fly fishing from kayak for first time...trickier lol. Think I had the wrong flies. They were top feeding Harrrrd too. Spoke to a lady who camped there all weekend, no one in their group caught/seen any Grayling come out. O well, still a blast. I'm not finished with Spruce!

Hit Bullshead from Kayak last thurs(I think). Was lil too windy for fly fishing. Good thing! Friend brought 13 to boat and I, 11. Tons of action and several missed. Trolling with spinners. I caught bout half dozen pushing 20" but none over. Can't believe I still haven't broke 20 there lol.

Hit Bullshead again today for a few hrs with Yak, solo. Got out a bit late but they were still eating. Same tactics, same "go to" spinner. Skunked...Doh! Tried several spinners and also trolling wet fly. Nuttin, couple bites lol. Nevertheless, was a nice morn, no wind at all...so rare out there. Weeds are starting to come up all over in the lake, making trolling trickier. Looks like they are top water feeding for the most part, gonna have to figure out that magic fly.

That's bout it. As for the rest of the troutie lakes in the area, have not been to Michelle or Cavan recently, why bother, Bullshead is right there:)

Hope everybody's enjoying their fishing, lotsa warm weather left!
Cheers:)

qualityknots
07-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the report!

Spruce Coulee sure is beautiful in the early morning, spent the better part of Sunday morning there on the fly. Talked to a guy who got 3 brookies before 6 am..powerbait from off the dam is what he said worked for him.

Fishfinder
07-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the report!

Spruce Coulee sure is beautiful in the early morning, spent the better part of Sunday morning there on the fly. Talked to a guy who got 3 brookies before 6 am..powerbait from off the dam is what he said worked for him.

Sure is! Any luck for u on the fly? Ya PB will work for the Brookies, worms have worked better for me. Nonetheless, I am trying to ween myself off bait fishing haha, cept when it comes to the ol SSR:)
I've caught some fat Brookies there in the winter, around 3-4#s. Never have I seen a 2#er come out in open water. Definitely tougher in the summer it seems, for me anyway. I WILL figure that lake out though, who knows, maybe there's still the odd Eye still in there.
But for now, how to get them Grayling...hmm...

qualityknots
07-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I had no luck on Sunday, trolling with leech patterns and woolly buggers, and tried some dries. Didn't really bother me though, was such a beautiful day I was just happy to be out. When you figure the lake out let me know! haha

Fishfinder
07-09-2013, 07:55 PM
I had no luck on Sunday, trolling with leech patterns and woolly buggers, and tried some dries. Didn't really bother me though, was such a beautiful day I was just happy to be out. When you figure the lake out let me know! haha

Will do! Speaking of leeches, had a gooder suckin' on my foot when I got home lol...ewwwwwe! Wouldn't even have noticed, had I not been using the lil boys room!:scared0018:

Kyle
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Sure is! Any luck for u on the fly? Ya PB will work for the Brookies, worms have worked better for me. Nonetheless, I am trying to ween myself off bait fishing haha, cept when it comes to the ol SSR:)
I've caught some fat Brookies there in the winter, around 3-4#s. Never have I seen a 2#er come out in open water. Definitely tougher in the summer it seems, for me anyway. I WILL figure that lake out though, who knows, maybe there's still the odd Eye still in there.
But for now, how to get them Grayling...hmm...

Grayling in spruce? Was someone smoking some funny stuff before they caught a walleye? :bad_boys_20:

madatter
07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Grayling in spruce? Was someone smoking some funny stuff before they caught a walleye? :bad_boys_20:

I've seen walleye pulled outta there,talked to the fish biologist a few years ago about it...
But grayling?
I musta missed something...or am a little dense!
Probably both..:)

Bhflyfisher
07-10-2013, 08:58 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=183775&highlight=spruce+coulee

have a quick search.

Couleestalker
07-10-2013, 08:58 AM
I've seen walleye pulled outta there,talked to the fish biologist a few years ago about it...
But grayling?
I musta missed something...or am a little dense!
Probably both..:)

The had to dump 4000 15 cm grayling in there from the hatchery in Calgary do to the floods. I'm sure they didn't want them ending up in the bow. Although this isn't part of the stocking plan the regulation is you can only keep 2 over 35cm

Kyle
07-10-2013, 12:50 PM
That is interesting...