PDA

View Full Version : Bow river

Jasonp
07-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Hey all

Been awhile since I last posted but I'm heading to Calgary for work and wanted to fly fish in the afternoon. Ill be downtown Calgary

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't see anything in the last 3 pages

Is the now fish able? Or would I be wasting my time to even try?

Thanks guys

aulrich
07-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Still a little brown, might work with spinning gear.

The state of emergency is over but I am not sure the nanny sate has cleared the banks as safe for normal folks.

Jasonp
07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Fisherman aren't normal folk :p

I'd prefer not to spin fish I'm thinking if I can't fly fish I just won't fish :(

Scott N
07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
When I drove over it on Sunday it still looked very, very high and fast, not to mention dirty. I'd be worried about safety more than how good the fishing might be.

jacenbeers
07-09-2013, 02:08 PM
In my opinion it wouldn't be worth your time fishing the Bow right now. It is really dirty and high still and flowing fairly fast. You could probably find some good ponds or lakes near Calgary that are clear enough for fly fishing if you wanted to check them out. PM me if you want some spots I have fly fished within an hour of Calgary in the past few weeks.

TROLLER
07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Hey all

Been awhile since I last posted but I'm heading to Calgary for work and wanted to fly fish in the afternoon. Ill be downtown Calgary

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I couldn't see anything in the last 3 pages

Is the now fish able? Or would I be wasting my time to even try?

Thanks guys

Right now the fire dept is telling everyone to stay clear of the river. Banks are very dangerous at the moment.

aulrich
07-09-2013, 04:31 PM
The river is dropping fast, pretty close to a foot a day the last couple.

My son skunkboy loves fishing run off for some reason.

aulrich
07-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Took the dog down there tonight, still pretty brown, basically it is still full on run off. but it is mostly inside the banks from what I saw.

MtnGiant
07-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Fisherman aren't normal folk :p

I'd prefer not to spin fish I'm thinking if I can't fly fish I just won't fish :(

Looking at it today....I would say it's fishable if you can find a safe area....of which I believe there are several spots in the Calgary area.
The river is still dirty but is starting to get a slight tinge of green colouring from where I saw. To me this is a good sign. And there are several smooth running water areas.

If your gonna flyfish???? go with streamers or leaches or whatever you deem suitable.

I say bring your gear and see for yourself.

wildcat111
07-09-2013, 10:33 PM
the fish are right tight to the shoreline, bring streamers, leeches working well, and lots of bug spray!!!!

Jasonp
07-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Wish I read some of these before I headed down.

Didn't bring my gear as I thought it was a lost cause, ill have to check it out anyways and plan a trip down here soon