PDA

View Full Version : My British Columbia brothers!

jessedm
07-10-2013, 12:16 PM
I am coming to your beautiful Provence on an unplanned road trip and my 13 year old fishing partner would love to wet a hook. I will be heading there the week before or after the August long. Can someone point me to some decent or better salmon fishing if the timing is right on the fraiser or something??? Ideas?? I haven't decided if I will be bringing a tent or my rv but is there a camping/fishing opportunity that someone can turn me on to? I want to avoid using a guide because I am wingin the whole trip altogether. Thanks for any ideas you boys might provide!

MtnGiant
07-10-2013, 12:21 PM
What part of the Fraser area are you going?

MtnGiant
07-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Depending on where you go. You will be at the crossover time btwn the big springs and coho and possibly sokeye. If your youngster hooks into a biggy spring....you may want to hang on to him. LOL

jessedm
07-10-2013, 02:29 PM
No plans nailed down, I'm more or less looking for good ideas

MtnGiant
07-10-2013, 06:59 PM
No plans nailed down, I'm more or less looking for good ideas

That's kind of a tall order....BC is very large with many Salmon areas from Vancouver to Terrace to the interior of BC.

You will have no problems finding good camping/fishing spots.

Might I suggest you get a map and research a little to find where you would like to go. Then look up local fishing stores and call them for a fishing report.
Most places are more than happy to give a fellow fisherman information.

Good luck and have a great time.....I'm sure you will.

SilversidesBC
07-11-2013, 02:33 PM
be careful. The Fraser can be a very dangerous place without a guide depending on where you go. I have witnessed tragedies from rookies who go to the wrong spots.
A good guide ensures success and safety.
Be safe.

Scott h
07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Just got back from fishing up in Masset and the runs were GREAT this year . Hopefully that translates into a ton of fish into the rivers :sHa_shakeshout: .
For your first time I would point you to the Fraser River around Chilliwak or even up as far as Hope . You can camp easily and and its very easy to find a spot to cast from shore for sockeye but it can be very busy . I don't know when the season will be set but it should be the middle of Aug . The best best it to google and see if you can find opinions on what the predicted date will be . If you go into Freds fishing shop they can give you a map to the most common bars ( I think they also have a web site that may help with the opening date ) . Also google island 22 in Chilliwak as a starting point . I've put in with a 12 footer many times and shuttled over to some of the mid stream islands . Along with sockeye their is always very good chance at picking up chinook as a bonus .

MtnGiant
07-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Just got back from fishing up in Masset and the runs were GREAT this year . Hopefully that translates into a ton of fish into the rivers :sHa_shakeshout: .
For your first time I would point you to the Fraser River around Chilliwak or even up as far as Hope . You can camp easily and and its very easy to find a spot to cast from shore for sockeye but it can be very busy . I don't know when the season will be set but it should be the middle of Aug . The best best it to google and see if you can find opinions on what the predicted date will be . If you go into Freds fishing shop they can give you a map to the most common bars ( I think they also have a web site that may help with the opening date ) . Also google island 22 in Chilliwak as a starting point . I've put in with a 12 footer many times and shuttled over to some of the mid stream islands . Along with sockeye their is always very good chance at picking up chinook as a bonus .

Awesome....thats exactly where Im headed this wknd for a week.
My Dad lives in Vedder and I have fished that area for over 30yrs.
I've been to Fred's since it opened....not a bad shop now (was better back in the day).
Looking forward to flyfishn the Vedder R for Springs running up. Tons of action.
How many Sockeye did you hook into?
I havent checked yet....but are they C&R or keepable this year?

Scott h
07-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Quote ;
"How many Sockeye did you hook into?
I havent checked yet....but are they C&R or keepable this year ? "

Sorry I wasn't very clear . All we caught were lots of coho and chinook , hopefully that translates into into other species also having good ocean survival , sockeye included . As far as I know they haven't decided on a retention season yet . I do know a bunch of fishery guys are coming into town to beef up their numbers on the river which kinda indicates a opening is probably going to occur soon .

MtnGiant
07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Quote ;
"How many Sockeye did you hook into?
I havent checked yet....but are they C&R or keepable this year ? "

Sorry I wasn't very clear . All we caught were lots of coho and chinook , hopefully that translates into into other species also having good ocean survival , sockeye included . As far as I know they haven't decided on a retention season yet . I do know a bunch of fishery guys are coming into town to beef up their numbers on the river which kinda indicates a opening is probably going to occur soon .

Sweet.....
I'll be checking into it nxt week.
Will be great getting back home for some salmon fishing.....it's true luv LOL

Wild&Free
07-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Sweet.....
I'll be checking into it nxt week.
Will be great getting back home for some salmon fishing.....it's true luv LOL

6+oz lead and a big spin-n-glow in the water and the rod holder set into shore. I miss the mini day communities that spring up on the river during chinook runs.