PDA

View Full Version : Buck lake west of pigeon lake question.

fishwhisperer
07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Does anybody have some tricks, tips and spots to fish for perch and walleye? Going out there camping at calhoun bay! Thanks in advance!

Kurt505
07-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure about the perch, but it's a small lake, troll a mid running rapala in 9'-13' of water and you should have no problem catch 100's of walleye. Only problem is finding one legal size. Try this stretch (where the pin is) for walleye, jig, troll, slip bob, bottom bounce, any method should work. Go back and forth between the point and the first cabin with the break wall built on the waters edge. That should produce some fun times for ya.

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac13/Kurt505Hunter/801E1C9F-523D-4B5A-8D03-FED84DE4517E-2342-000003828F481919.jpg

fishwhisperer
07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Thank-you! Hope this helps! All i have is a 12 foot boat with paddles and an electric motor!

ineptflux
07-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Where that 13 is on the map, if you go left and up by that point a bit, we caught fish after fish for hours non-stop right in that spot.

But like the poster above, it was all 45-48's. Still a lot of fun tho!

fishwhisperer
07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks again! Anybody know anything about perch in the summer at buck?

chriscosta
07-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks again! Anybody know anything about perch in the summer at buck?

i know they are big and at this time of year definately biting good get a solid trustable perch hook load it with as many maggots as possiblr and cover some serious ground casting and retrieving slowly keepin it close to bottom youll get weeds but youll find the perch that way i suggest a tiny white twister tail jig or yellow with a red head

chriscosta
07-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Where that 13 is on the map, if you go left and up by that point a bit, we caught fish after fish for hours non-stop right in that spot.

But like the poster above, it was all 45-48's. Still a lot of fun tho!

some of the locals call that area pickeral point lol with good reason youll catch lots around there even up tight to the reeds

fishwhisperer
07-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Ok, one more question! Where one buck lake it calhoun bay! I need to get my bearings on the map as i have not been there before! Lol! Thanks

Lefty-Canuck
07-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Ok, one more question! Where one buck lake it calhoun bay! I need to get my bearings on the map as i have not been there before! Lol! Thanks

North east directly across from the purple marker.

LC

Xiph0id
07-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Don't try to launch a bigger boat at Calhoun bay or you'll have a bit h of a time getting it into the lake as the launch is in the creek. I had to drag my 16' boat about 100 yards across a sandy bottom right at the mouth.

fish99
07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
south of oakes bay

catchandeat
07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
My family and I went there for the July long weekend. We caught over a dozen walleye in a few days none were keeper size but a couple were about 48cm. They were biting on jigs tipped with leeches in about 3-5 FOW really shallow. The funniest part of the weekend was we were trolling along with the electric and all of a sudden I got a fish on. So my dad shuts off the electric, I reel in the small walter, unhook it, and away we go. Well dad goes to start up the motor but notices HIS rod is now bent over too!
So he starts reeling it in and says "grab your camera quick!" So i'm thinking it's finally gonna be a nice keeper size walleye, but much to our surprise it was two small walleye on a p-rig! hahaha it was hilarious! we managed to get them both in the boat and released em. I took a video of it to, i'll see if I can't get it uploaded off my ipod tomorrow.....
(Sorry for the hijack! should have started my own thread.... but thought i'd share our July long weekend story... haha)
But yeah basically like the others said, most of the walleye are pretty small, there is the odd keeper being caught but their a lot harder to find. We mainly trolled right in the south out in front of the buck lake campground, and also trolled along the west side. As somebody else mentioned there's a great shelf that goes from about 4ft to 17 in about 15feet on the northwest side out in front of the cottages, shouldn't be to hard to find.... and they also seemed to be biting best on leeches...
Best of luck! :sHa_shakeshout:

ineptflux
07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
and they also seemed to be biting best on leeches..

yep, we had a lot of luck with leeches on harness/bottom bouncers - and when that got boring, we were landing almost every cast with some different size slashbaits.

chriscosta
07-10-2013, 11:59 PM
i remember once i hooked into something awfully large probly a pike but it started peelin drag fast and wasnt slowin down we started the boat and followed it way out to the middle and it stopped i had it almost in probly ten ft from the suface and my jig bent and since it was barbless away she went that was like 5 yrs ago and it still bugs me that i never got a glimpse of it

catchandeat
07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Alright i'm just in the middle of getting the video processed, should be up soon!

catchandeat
07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Alright i'm just in the middle of getting the video processed, should be up soon!

Alright, hopefully this should work! I tried to directly upload them here but it wasn't working, so unfortunately i'll just have to provide links!

This is a picture of the two walleye my dad caught at once :)
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/catchandeatfish/media/null_zpsc167ce3a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

The video of it :) (please ignore my excited laughter.... haha)
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/catchandeatfish/media/B72E2A26-08FB-4DEF-B65D-25AFA4B7C94B-1091-000003C9D2AD3CC1_zps57f38ed5.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

This was one of the biggest walleye we caught on the trip... unfortunately no keepers this time around...
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/catchandeatfish/media/null_zps4b63c529.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/catchandeatfish/media/null_zpsa382d76d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

All in all a great trip!