PDA

View Full Version : Pike fishing with the flyrod , need help.

Fish along
07-10-2013, 08:02 PM
You know I've been fly fishing for for 25 years and I've always gone for brookies and rainbows, but now I'm thinking what ge hell Mabey I'm missing out and need to put pike and white fish on the list,I know a regular trout leader isn't going to work so what do i use? Thanks

seahawkfisher
07-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I use 44 lb rio flouroflex
cheers

Dust1n
07-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Seaguar flouro 60lb. A spool of that stuff lasts forever because your not retying after ever fish. You don't need this heavy of line its just good insurance to pay the extra bucks at wholesale sports.(80lb is too heavy and it wasted my money)

Dont use wire that stuff doesnt last long and iv seen pike slice right through it but that titanuim stuff should work although iv only used it through the ice on a quickstrike rig.

Fish along
07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
So this fluoroflex is it a leader of some sort that pike can't bite through?

Dust1n
07-10-2013, 08:35 PM
They can still bite through just change it up as required. (comes in a spool)

seahawkfisher
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
i've never been bit off using it; fresh or in the salt but i could just be lucky. one spool has lasted a few years. it's pretty thick and can be a challenge to tie a knot, but once you figure it out, you are good to go.
cheers

MtnGiant
07-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Don't use the wire leader's.

They are good til you get a fish on and then they twist up something fierce and are then basically garbage.

I learned the hard way by recommendation......I dont recommend it.

40-50lb flouro is good.

Good luck :)

chriscosta
07-10-2013, 09:21 PM
i think the stuffs called not too kinky i dont know how it would work but i saw it on wfn commercials you can tie with it and its metal of some kind and it wont kink like i said i never tried it but it looks neat

Lazerloop
07-10-2013, 10:09 PM
I have been bitten off using 50lb so I use 30lb flouro to rio wire. Sure it kinks after a bunch of fish but when it gets bad I change it. Better than losing fish or changing a leader after every fish.