PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk fish hookups

MtnGiant
07-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Which fish in a certain situation require a specific hookup technique for a better landing result?
You may include international fishing as well.

Ooops....should be in fishing discussion

coppercarbide
07-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Whitefish/perch - they take the hook and spit pretty quick, so a very light rod tip (or extender) is helpful, along with a sharp, quick, but not long hookset. You don't want a long hookset on braid though, it can pull the lips out, especially if it's a marginal side lip hook.

Sturgeon - Let your rod tip bounce a few times. It's almost like they are playing with it. If you set the hook as soon as you see action, you'll pull it away. They will give a few bounces, and then a more firm pull, set that one.

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 08:18 AM
When slow trolling walleye on bottom bouncers and Lindys I tend to usually count to 3 and then set the hook after feeling the light tap from them, also will keep my bail open on a baitcaster and use my thumb on the spool. I feel the bite I will release some line slowly to let them take it especially whenthey are in the light bite mode. Then hook set quite hard.

MtnGiant
07-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Excellent posts so far.

For river drift fishn for salmon it's a hard hook set at any given movement of the float.
Any unusual movement in the drift could be a nibble.
So set that hook hard.

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Also wanted to mention about slip bobbers, I really like to pay close attention to the amount of slack in the line from reel to bobber and try to minimize it so when you do get a tap, you can get a good hook set in but be careful with a light rig cause its been known to come flying back in on e's face with a strong hook set that missed lol.

bobalong
07-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Don't really "set" when fishing, just do a slow and steady sweep, keeping pressure on all the time. I have found it takes very little pressure to actually "set" a hook. Maintaining pressure is the key I believe.

Wild&Free
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Pink Salmon, still silver, Kitimat river. God damn circle fish will confuse the expletive deleted out of you with there spinning, circling ways. Firm set, then reel quick to keep them swimming straight lines.

Bottom bouncing for steel head. Can't teach or describe that one other then it feels like a rock, that pulls a little.

kmacisaac
07-11-2013, 04:40 PM
If you're looking for a hookup, you should try Plenty of Fish.:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Sorry, just had to throw that out there..

kevinhits
07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Which fish in a certain situation require a specific hookup technique for a better landing result?

Where are the Mods when you need them..EH!:bad_boys_20:

kevinhits
07-11-2013, 05:32 PM

Always see you in the General section but rarely in the fishing side...Just wondering if you are a big fisherman or not? Just wondering:)

burbotman
07-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Largemouth Bass -heavy cover- Texas rigged plastics-

Set as hard as you can and don't stop reeling!