PDA

View Full Version : What is your typical distance for making a kill shot?

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Just curious to know what is the pro archer's rule of thumb yardage distance for making a kill shot? I am in the process of sighting in my newly acquired compound bow and want to really practice alot with the recommended distance as suggested by you on here. I also found this link for tips and how to sight in a pin sight, what's your thoughts on this link as well, that will be my Sunday project, also one more question, anyone near the Edmonton are that has square bales for sale so I can set up an appropriate back stop, been looking on Kijiji to no avail. Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions, tips and advice.

http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/How_to_sight_in_a_compound_bow_with_fixed_pins

savagewsm
07-11-2013, 11:23 AM
" The Kill Shot " This is very tough to determine. To kill depends on shot placement and the resulting tissue damage. Your goal would be to determine at what distance you can hit the kill zone with a shot that will create sufficient damage to kill. This distance will vary depending on the shot that presents itself.

I have passed on 10 yard shots because the angle I was shooting at was very poor while at other times 30 yards would be possible shot .

A good starting point is to find the distance you can put every arrow into a 8" circle. That would represent your max distance. This will be different for everyone. For me I feel comfortable with a 30 yard max. Other archers are proficient at longer distances.

After a properly tuned bow the next thing I have found very valuable is a range finder. This will eliminate any guess work.

Above all practice as much as you can because it builds muscle memory and confidence.

Don't ask others for what the max distance is you have to determine that for yourself.

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 11:23 AM
This is a group I shot the other day at 50 yards....this is the distance I feel is maximum for me to attempt a shot that has a high probability of a quick kill.

This was a great group....most of the time I am within 3 inches of the size of this group at that distance so I consider that max distance for a clean "personally ethical" kill.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/8D118E4D-835C-4501-8974-897B1EC1AF86-11867-00000157E761251B_zps51560f02.jpg

LC

savagewsm
07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
As for a backstop set up just find as much shrink wrap as you can. Businesses throw out piles of it and most are happy to let you dig it out their dumpsters.

Just pack it tightly into feed bags or gunny sacks or what ever. It is excellent as an arrow stop and they are easy to pull out and best of all it is free and does not rot or breakdown like hay. After the bags are all shot up just packs the stuff into new bags and you are good to go.

Sledhead71
07-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Just remember stationary targets and practice is just that... Add up all the variables of actual hunting conditions and consider where you are comfortable at...

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Thank you gentlemen for your insight, I appreciate it. And thanks for the tip about plastic wrap, never thought of that, we have a ton of that at work, gonna grab some at the end of the day today. Another question about the odd color fletch on the arrow, what is recommended for a whisker biscuit on my compound, as for nocking the arrow, does it have to point outwards from bow so it passes thru the open section of the biscuit. Sorry about the questions, just want to make sure I am doing the correct technique for optimum safety and shooting technique. Also that is some great shooting Lefty, very nice grouping sir.

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Open section of the biscuit is only to allow loading the arrow.

Cock feather (odd colour) is always parallel to your string (straight up) on a whisker biscuit.....provided your bow has enough center shot room to allow the fletch closest to the riser to clear it.

One of my bows has very little center shot room and I have to shoot arrows out of it cock feather out....a whisker biscuit cannot be used on that bow unless I switch my fletches to something like a mini blazer.

LC

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 12:05 PM
As your signature says Lefty...yer the best!!! Thank you very much!

H380
07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Open section of the biscuit is only to allow loading the arrow.

Cock feather (odd colour) is always parallel to your string (straight up) on a whisker biscuit.....provided your bow has enough center shot room to allow the fletch closest to the riser to clear it.

One of my bows has very little center shot room and I have to shoot arrows out of it cock feather out....a whisker biscuit cannot be used on that bow unless I switch my fletches to something like a mini blazer.

LC

I switched to blazer vanes to keep fletch from touching biscuit on my new APA M6 . As for average distance for kill shots , my ave distance is 27 yds on 55 big game kills . Closest was 7 and farthest was 45 .

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
I switched to blazer vanes to keep fletch from touching biscuit on my new APA M6 . As for average distance for kill shots , my ave distance is 27 yds on 55 big game kills . Closest was 7 and farthest was 45 .

So what do you recommend then for target arrows versus hunting arrows that won`t break the bank as I was thinking of stopping at WSS after work tomorrow and get some decent target arrows.

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I actually misread your OP.....typical distance for me has been around 20-25 yards.

LC

savagewsm
07-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I use Cabelas brand arrows for target and hunting. They are fairly priced and have found them accurate and very durable. I don't think you need different target and hunting arrows.

I just bought a dozen with Blaser vanes for $90. Just waiting to try them out.

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 01:03 PM
I use Cabelas brand arrows for target and hunting. They are fairly priced and have found them accurate and very durable. I don't think you need different target and hunting arrows.

I just bought a dozen with Blaser vanes for $90. Just waiting to try them out.

Thanks Savage, I will head to Cabelas after work tomorrow and grab some, I appreciate your input

H380
07-11-2013, 01:36 PM
So what do you recommend then for target arrows versus hunting arrows that won`t break the bank as I was thinking of stopping at WSS after work tomorrow and get some decent target arrows.

I use the same for both . used to be Easton XX75.s , now in the carbon age I been using Carbon Force Radial X Weaves , may be better but these work for me .

Zuludog
07-11-2013, 02:51 PM

My first 1/2 dozen were Eastons but my next 6 are Gold Tips. I think the Gold Tips are a good arrow at a good price. WSS carry's them too. I'm new and not a bow "techie" so I don't notice a big difference between the two types.

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 02:58 PM
My first 1/2 dozen were Eastons but my next 6 are Gold Tips. I think the Gold Tips are a good arrow at a good price. WSS carry's them too. I'm new and not a bow "techie" so I don't notice a big difference between the two types.

Thanks Zulu, I think I will buy from both Cabelas and WSS and see what my bow likes the best, doesn`t hurt to have more arrows and types to see what works the best for my budget and needs.

smith88
07-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Remember to practice shooting in the position you will be shooting when hunting. Whether that be from your knees on a spot and stalk, from a tree stand or from a ground blind.

Another tip would be to draw your bow, hold for a while, then shoot. From my experience, animals never hold quite as still as targets do.

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
I use Goldtip XT Hunter arrows for both target 3D and hunting, 28.5 inches long with 100 gr tips they are about 385grains.

Easton bought Goldtip so now all the Goldtip arrows have both the Easton and Goldtip spine ratings on the newer produced shafts.

LC

bearbait
07-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Rule of thumb dont cheap out on arrows. Get good ones first time. i shoot goldtip out of my hunting rig but may switch to easton da tourch. They are pricey but shoot awsome. shooting them out of my target bow.
Rob

keep6matt
07-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks gang for all the tips and that is great advice about hunting position/posture and holding the bow for lengths of time when drawn, never thought of that.

Moosetalker
07-11-2013, 05:28 PM
25-35 mtrs/yds.
Like all the Prev posters said.
Shoot same arrows for hunting and target shooting.
practice with a set of practice broadheads.
Once you find the farthest you can get groups like LC's when target shooting.

Reduce your M-E-R by 10 yds/mtrs for hunting, especialy the first couple of years.
Unless you are a rock. LOL :sHa_shakeshout:

Shoot outside as often as posible rain shine wind whatever.
Wear clothing as similar to what you will wear when you are hunting as you possibly can.

5 out of 8 misses/bad hits or excuses for same by guided clients over past 8 years were clothing related.

1 Ball cap brim hitting string caused eyewear to be knocked askew. 28 yd miss on Moose.

2 Loose jacket sleeve fouled string. grazed shoulder on black bear 18 yrds.

3 unsnapped storm flap on Jacket fouled string. high liver quartering shot 26 yds Moose. Almost 800 yds on hands and knees tracking to find this guy

4 face cover/netting caused premature arrow release on draw. 35 yd broadside miss over its back on Moose.

5 Overly bulky jacket worn for cold snap. Unable to come to full draw properly, 16 yard broadside miss on moose, he did get an 10 inch poplar in front of paunch area... I kissed that tree..twice.

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Great points Moosetalker!

FWIW, I have never had to shoot something at 50yrds while hunting. Usually where I hunt there isn't a clear shot to my target at that distance. I am hoping to have an Antlered Mule draw this year so I could be out in some open country.

LC

Mulecrazy7mm
07-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Furthest shot for me is 63 at a bull moose at 15 years old 2 elk at 50 and muley bucks at 35 40 never had a close shot

normanrd
07-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Longest for me was an antelope at 65 yards, and another at 36, both were spot and stalk. 14 bull moose, average distance 21 yards, longest 42. 9 bull elk, longest 34, average 15 yards. 9 whitetails, longest 39, average 24. 8 merriams turkeys, longest 27 average 12. Plus other stuff I have long forgot about, lol

If you learn to call half decently and spend lots of time in the field you can really cut down your shot distances on lots of species, depending of course on the terrain.

Top pin is always the best. If I have to use anything else I really start to thinking that I should try and get the animal closer.

Jmo, norm

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 10:56 PM
^^^^^^

Lets not Forget a wolf at 5 yards while hunting on the ground.....brings the average down.

LC :)

normanrd
07-11-2013, 11:20 PM
^^^^^^

Lets not Forget a wolf at 5 yards while hunting on the ground.....brings the average down.

LC :)

Oh ya! Lol forgot about that wolf! Also a "few" bears off the ground while elk hunting. Average around 4 to 5 yards too. Thanks for the memory jar!

keep6matt
07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
So a big thanks to everyone's tips on here. I dialed in the top pin at 15 yards in my backyard shooting at your recommended big boxes stuffed full of plastic wrap and am quite pleased with my practice time...here is my last group of the evening while tweaking the sights. Can't wait to head out to the acreage and get the rest of the pins dialed in up to 50 yards. Then its all practice practice practice til bow season. I really enjoy how relaxing archery is, lovin the sport so far, thanks again everyone....seriously a wolf at 4 to 5 yards? Incredible!

keep6matt
07-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Actually this is the last grouping of the night, other one was about halfway thru the evening.

ReayMan
07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Only bow kill was at 27 yards.

keep6matt
07-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Great tips about the clothing Moosetalker, lots of merit in that post indeed. I already have all my clothing picked out and it is well fitted, no loose baggage that will cause any grief upon arrow release. So i went with the Goldtips and really like the arrows, actually going to buy another half dozen and get some practice broadheads (100 grains). Been shooting every evening for an hour and get consistent groupings. Will be setting up a game camera this weekend and see what lurks past it. Thanks again everyone for the insight, learned so much from you all.

SBE2
07-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Actually this is the last grouping of the night, other one was about halfway thru the evening.

I'm no pro or anything, but I'm pretty sure you're not done sighting in that 15yd pin if your last pic is of the groups you are shooting with it. :) Just my 2 cents. Best of luck, cheers.

keep6matt
07-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm no pro or anything, but I'm pretty sure you're not done sighting in that 15yd pin if your last pic is of the groups you are shooting with it. :) Just my 2 cents. Best of luck, cheers.

Actually it is shooting a bit to the right quite consistently, I have sight almost maxed out to the right so kinda scratching my head on that. Last night's groupings were much tighter.

sakogreywolf
07-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Keep6mat......I am enjoying your enthusiasm towards bow hunting. It's nice to see.:) There is nothing like the feeling of getting in close. Good luck!

keep6matt
07-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Keep6mat......I am enjoying your enthusiasm towards bow hunting. It's nice to see.:) There is nothing like the feeling of getting in close. Good luck!

Thanks Sako, I absolutely love this new found hobby, itching for the work day to be over with so I can go shoot more arrows after work :)

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
:D Yup Moosetalkers post is the perfect example why you should shoot with full gear...I shoot every year starting now in full gear once a week or so...

I practice out to 70 yards ...but average is 40 to 50 yards...

Neil

keep6matt
07-18-2013, 12:54 PM
:D Yup Moosetalkers post is the perfect example why you should shoot with full gear...I shoot every year starting now in full gear once a week or so...

I practice out to 70 yards ...but average is 40 to 50 yards...

Neil

Neil, do you find that out at that yardage as you stated that the animal may become spooked because of bow release noise thus resulting in a bad hit? Is that a factor one should consider? I just want to soak in as much as possible as for making sure if I do get a vital area shot I want to make sure it counts.

keep6matt
07-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Here is my 30 yard grouping last night, getting better with more practice, its coming along :)

SportHuntingHelp
07-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I would have to say I do not have a typical distance. This would depend on the set up and how i am hunting spot and stalk, tree stand etc. I would say most stands put me in the 20-30 yard range. I would not shoot past 50 yards at this time but that is just based on my personal experience. Closest kill shot was 8 yards though.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Neil, do you find that out at that yardage as you stated that the animal may become spooked because of bow release noise thus resulting in a bad hit? Is that a factor one should consider? I just want to soak in as much as possible as for making sure if I do get a vital area shot I want to make sure it counts.

:D Back in the day when bows were 100 FPS slower that was an issue...with the 300+ FPS bows of today... bow release noise is rarely an issue unless the animal is already seriously spooked and on springs.....some issues may... like extreme helical vanes...as they are slightly noisier

.one can tell and regulate distance accordingly...

If the animal is relaxed it is not an issue, I have taken animals further than 70 yrds and they go down as fast as a proper placed arrow at 20 yards..

I have String whiskers on my bow and it is stealth

Neil

keep6matt
07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks Neil, I appreciate your insight.

manosteel
07-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Just to add to neils post, practice at distance, 70-100 yards if you can. You may never take a shot that far out but it sure makes 30 yards look and feel like a chip shot. The longer ranges will also force you to focus on proper form as any imperfections will be magnified at longer distances.

Stinky Coyote
07-22-2013, 01:43 PM
My average on 7 muley bucks is I think 41 yards with pretty even spread between 20 and 57, does and whitetails will be closer likely just inside 30 yard average over dozens of kills.

Oops wrong thread average distance thread please ;)

keep6matt
07-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Just to add to neils post, practice at distance, 70-100 yards if you can. You may never take a shot that far out but it sure makes 30 yards look and feel like a chip shot. The longer ranges will also force you to focus on proper form as any imperfections will be magnified at longer distances.

Actually funny you say that because this last weekend I was practicing from 30 to 70 yards out and yeah at the longer distances you do become very conscious of form and staying as steady as possible. Any imperfection at those long range shots resulted in very inaccurate shots I noticed. Thats all I did for most of the weekend was shoot arrows at various distances.

randymarriott
07-25-2013, 01:56 PM
The way I have found my max distance is. Everytime I go out to the range I test for my most accurate precise shot first draw. I will set up like I'm on a animal at a far distance and lwt er fly. If I am not within 2-4" of my intended center then I know I am shooting too far. I do this because when I'm hunting its my first shot (most the time) that will be put into the animal and not my 50th after a good warmup, some nice groups, bad groups lol and I'm getting tired or in my rhythm. This is what I have come up in my head as the way I hunt and it works awesome for me. I've been able to consistantly make my first shot placements to further distances this way and I would be confident on a 75yd shot ***if the wind is calm, I'm calm, the animal isn't aware that I'm there and there's nothing between my bow and the animal to change my flight path. I know many ppl will say that's not ethical or reasonable but in my head it is. I think I've put enough practice in for it.
But again. Most my bow kills are 10-30yds with my furthest being 47rds.
So I'm not sure if this method would aid anyone but I love trying new techniques from other guys.
Cheers

nof60
07-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Find a good 3d range and hit it often. Dont just shoot from the pins if you are allowed to. Shoot multiple stand kneeling sitting, pack in a treestand if they allow it. I am so spoiled, we have a 50m animal range open 2 nights a week and like nobody on it on the side of a mountain.

Shoot your broadheads too. You will need to resight in once you switch to your broadheads. I use old school Muzzy's (they have killed a lot of stuff for me so why switch) and they come with an unsharpened set of practise blades.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-25-2013, 03:38 PM
:D ..Good idea...We have a simular solution here at our club...

He is called "BooBoo the bear" he is 3/16 inch sheet metal...with a generous kill zone...

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/LOSTArrowArchery/bearetc051_zps3b93b6c8.jpg

I ask people what yardage they are efficent at...if they say 60 yds...I say come with me...and set up BooBoo at 60 yards.."PINGGGG"

So whats your efficent distance...set it up at 50 yd ..."PINGGG"...yup better think again ...lol

I have had guys go thru a half dozen arrows at where they said they could shoot...ha ha...I have bear bait barrel by the tripod tree stand and bear 3D targets and its half full of arrows...lol...some mine...lol

We call this a " BooBoo Flower " ....what most arrows look like if you miss that big kill zone

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/LOSTArrowArchery/bearetc057_zps7dcf3637.jpg

...it humbles a few shooters and is a great lesson for others..

Neil

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
:D ..Good idea...We have a simular solution here at our club...

He is called "BooBoo the bear" he is 3/16 inch sheet metal...with a generous kill zone...

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/LOSTArrowArchery/bearetc051_zps3b93b6c8.jpg

I ask people what yardage they are efficent at...if they say 60 yds...I say come with me...and set up BooBoo at 60 yards.."PINGGGG"

So whats your efficent distance...set it up at 50 yd ..."PINGGG"...yup better think again ...lol

I have had guys go thru a half dozen arrows at where they said they could shoot...ha ha...I have bear bait barrel by the tripod tree stand and bear 3D targets and its half full of arrows...lol...some mine...lol

We call this a " BooBoo Flower " ....what most arrows look like if you miss that big kill zone

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/LOSTArrowArchery/bearetc057_zps7dcf3637.jpg

...it humbles a few shooters and is a great lesson for others..

Neil

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2013, 04:52 PM
The way I have found my max distance is. Everytime I go out to the range I test for my most accurate precise shot first draw. I will set up like I'm on a animal at a far distance and lwt er fly. If I am not within 2-4" of my intended center then I know I am shooting too far. I do this because when I'm hunting its my first shot (most the time) that will be put into the animal and not my 50th after a good warmup, some nice groups, bad groups lol and I'm getting tired or in my rhythm. This is what I have come up in my head as the way I hunt and it works awesome for me. I've been able to consistantly make my first shot placements to further distances this way and I would be confident on a 75yd shot ***if the wind is calm, I'm calm, the animal isn't aware that I'm there and there's nothing between my bow and the animal to change my flight path. I know many ppl will say that's not ethical or reasonable but in my head it is. I think I've put enough practice in for it.
But again. Most my bow kills are 10-30yds with my furthest being 47rds.
So I'm not sure if this method would aid anyone but I love trying new techniques from other guys.
Cheers

I do something similar, shoot 3 arrows at my furthest distance and see how I do first off....if I can group well and on the mark without a warm up then it's a good start.

Last time I hit the range I tried 3 in a row at 60yards, this is after I removed all of my 3D stabilizer and v-bar and put on what I will be hunting with.....man was the bow lighter without the 3D hardware!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/lefty-canuck/3A748799-B143-48A3-826B-CCB0D825D19B-567-0000000FFDF4CF5A_zps7d6f530e.jpg

LC