PDA

View Full Version : Questions re. setup for smaller trout

MTB_FlyFisher
07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I’m taking the SO out for some fishing this weekend (free fishing weekend) and have a few questions regarding set-up since I’m primarily a fly fisher. I do have some spin gear for an annual fishing trip out to SK with friends and I was planning on setting up the lighter action of the two rods for her use, however since I’ve only used that gear for walleyes, pike, and lake trout I’m not really sure how to go about setting it up for a trout pond.

Most of the locations I’m considering taking her would have trout in the 8 – 12 inch range. The rod is light action and I have two spools that go with the reel, one with (IIRC) 6lb fluro and the other with 8lb braid.

Which reel spool should I toss on, or does it really matter? I do have tippet from fly fishing for terminal connections between the swivel and lure that I was planning on using no matter which spool was put on to help out with any line-shy fish.

Should I be using a small spinning lure (mepps, panther martin, etc.) or setting it up with a bobber and bait?

For either suggestion, are there any tricks to the setup or is it just
- swivel, 2-3 feet of tippet, lure
- bobber set to depth, worm / minnow harness with bait

As always, thanks very much in advance for any suggestions you’re able to offer as any information would be greatly appreciated!

Wild&Free
07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Spinners are always good for rainbows and cutt throat. Blue foxes, #1 and #2, my favorite is the chartreuse, but most other colors work as well. The other spinners you mentioned are good to have as well, some will work in one lake, where as you'll need one of the others for another lake. Small spoons and some wedding bands to round it out. Oh, and split shots.

Bait and bobber method is my personal favorite method of fishing around here, just lob it out and sit and watch the water and listen to the sound of nature around you, so peaceful. It's effective, have a variety of bait though, small minnows, hot dogs, bait marshmellows, maybe even some shrimp and velveeta too.

Stocked trout aren't the brightest fish, so as long as it's got some attraction qualities and you get it into the water you should get some action.

Have fun.

tricks to the setup, forgot that question. I use a snap swivel, or barrel swivel, leader, spinner when chucking spinning bait and spoons.

bobber, I use slip bobbers, so a piece of thread knotted on the line for a stop, a split shot or two and a bait hook, sized to the fish you're catching.

huntsfurfish
07-11-2013, 10:46 AM
I’m taking the SO out for some fishing this weekend (free fishing weekend) and have a few questions regarding set-up since I’m primarily a fly fisher. I do have some spin gear for an annual fishing trip out to SK with friends and I was planning on setting up the lighter action of the two rods for her use, however since I’ve only used that gear for walleyes, pike, and lake trout I’m not really sure how to go about setting it up for a trout pond.

Most of the locations I’m considering taking her would have trout in the 8 – 12 inch range. The rod is light action and I have two spools that go with the reel, one with (IIRC) 6lb fluro and the other with 8lb braid.

Which reel spool should I toss on, or does it really matter? I do have tippet from fly fishing for terminal connections between the swivel and lure that I was planning on using no matter which spool was put on to help out with any line-shy fish.

Should I be using a small spinning lure (mepps, panther martin, etc.) or setting it up with a bobber and bait?

For either suggestion, are there any tricks to the setup or is it just
- swivel, 2-3 feet of tippet, lure
- bobber set to depth, worm / minnow harness with bait

As always, thanks very much in advance for any suggestions you’re able to offer as any information would be greatly appreciated!

That would probably be the way to go. Or pickerel rig and bait.
How will you be fishing? The same or off with the fly rod?
If you are casting have her cast too. If you are bait fishing have her do the same.

Bhflyfisher
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM
You can catch a lot of fish on a bobber with a fly beneath it. Thats how i always get friends started out. Because there are times when fish just simply aren't trying to eat minnows (spinners) or worms (bait). A nice little nymph below a bobber is a good way to start.

MTB_FlyFisher
07-11-2013, 03:15 PM
How will you be fishing? The same or off with the fly rod?
If you are casting have her cast too. If you are bait fishing have her do the same.

I'll likely be beside her with a fly rod set up with a dry / dropper.
Sounds like I should mostly just prepare a small kit with a few smaller lures as well as a bit of various bait to cover all of the bases depending on what's fishing best that day and whichever style she prefers.

You can catch a lot of fish on a bobber with a fly beneath it. Thats how i always get friends started out. Because there are times when fish just simply aren't trying to eat minnows (spinners) or worms (bait). A nice little nymph below a bobber is a good way to start.

I had actually considered that. Is the weight of the bobber enough to cast out a couple of nymphs or do you usually attach a bit of weight as well? I'd think that if weight were required it would be set up similarily to river nymphing (indicator, crimp on weight about 1' above the lead nymph with a dropper nymph about 12 - 18" off the bend of the first)?

Scott N
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
I had actually considered that. Is the weight of the bobber enough to cast out a couple of nymphs or do you usually attach a bit of weight as well? I'd think that if weight were required it would be set up similarily to river nymphing (indicator, crimp on weight about 1' above the lead nymph with a dropper nymph about 12 - 18" off the bend of the first)?

Usually with flies and a bobber, most will use the "adjust-a-bubble" type floats that you can fill with a little bit of water for weight.

EZM
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I think you are on the right track. I would make a pretty user friendly set up like a spring bobber with 36" on line down to a small circle hook with some bait. Velvetta cheese is the worlds best stocked trout bait.

Prior to attaching the hook - you can remove a small spring from a ink pen, cut it in half and thread it on to better hold your softer baits.

Pinch a couple split shots down half way between the bobber and the hook.

If you are using the braid set up - use a fluoro or mono leader to avoid detection. Attach via swivel.

Have a blast