PDA

View Full Version : ESRD response to flood of 2013

Don Andersen
07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Folks,

This arrived today.
Note the areas and the use of "voluntary".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/DonAndersen/CampR-2013-flood1w_zps87fc32fe.jpg

fish gunner
07-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Quite forward thinking , I like the voluntary aspect . Being asked is always better than being told.

The Fisherman Guy
07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Thank you for posting Don, good information.

BeeGuy
07-11-2013, 07:28 PM
I dont expect this will make much of a difference.

Sounds proactive and "nice" though.

Graffy91
07-11-2013, 07:39 PM

At least they're making an effort, and not just setting up a tag system... :angry3: :angry3:

We need slot sizes SRD!

43-55cm keep, anything bigger goes back!

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 07:44 PM
They say all fish need to be released....but if someone catches a tilapia.....I imagine they would like you to keep it?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=179770&highlight=Tilapia

LC :)

Kokanee9
07-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks Don.

Could you post this as a pdf file or provide a link, so I could print it off and post at work?

Quite a few anglers there and the more people that are aware, the better I would say.

Thanks

BeeGuy
07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Has there been a publication of this type released in response to other undue impacts in the past?

I'm thinking the previous flood events, oil spills and such.

Will SRD be receiving extra funding and/or resources? Or are their electric fishin surveys to be conducted at the expense of work which was already planned for this season?

Can anyone provide anecdotal evidence of impacts they perceived on the Highwood after the last big flood?

Don Andersen
07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Folks,
I'd be pleased to email back to anyone a PDF of the news release.

Send me a note through this site c/w your email address and I'll send it along.

Regards,

Don

Kokanee9
07-11-2013, 09:17 PM

MtnGiant
07-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for posting this.
I kinda thought SRD would change the regs because of the flood.
It makes sense and I agree w/ it.

MtnGiant
07-11-2013, 10:18 PM
I dont expect this will make much of a difference.

I dont understand what you mean by it wont make much of a difference????

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
I dont understand what you mean by it wont make much of a difference????

You can't hardly get people to voluntarily use barbless hooks....you think they will voluntarily release fish they normally keep?

The regs are not changing .....it is a suggestion that people "voluntarily" do it....

LC

MtnGiant
07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
You can't hardly get people to voluntarily use barbless hooks....you think they will voluntarily release fish they normally keep?

The regs are not changing .....it is a suggestion that people "voluntarily" do it....

LC

Gotchya....thanks

OneGirlWolfPack
07-11-2013, 10:49 PM
You guys will have to pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject but I'm confused about the voluntary bait ban (including maggots). Why is that a request? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I've always just accepted the rules on bait or no bait without asking why. I just assumed no bait means catching less fish and catching less fish means lower mortality rate in that lake or river.

Lefty-Canuck
07-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Typically when a fish takes a hook with bait in quite a few circumstances they inhale it or take the hook deeper when baited vs when not baited.

This leads to higher mortality potential...also usually you have more success when using bait so the more fish caught the higher the chance of mortality due to catching and handling.

LC

OneGirlWolfPack
07-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks Lefty! :)

walking buffalo
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM

LC

:confused: Have you been drinkin' a toast to Klein?

To answer your question, Yes, I do.

There is a big difference between barbed/barbless hooks and keeping fish from depressed stocks.

I use barbed hooks most of the time, but not always. Situational awareness. :)

BTW, the Alberta fish bios that I have spoken with actually advocate the use of barbed hooks over barbless, but are basically ambivalent on the topic.

Lefty-Canuck
07-12-2013, 05:19 AM
:confused: Have you been drinkin' a toast to Klein?

To answer your question, Yes, I do.

There is a big difference between barbed/barbless hooks and keeping fish from depressed stocks.

I use barbed hooks most of the time, but not always. Situational awareness. :)

BTW, the Alberta fish bios that I have spoken with actually advocate the use of barbed hooks over barbless, but are basically ambivalent on the topic.

I guess you are much more optimistic than I am WB....I don't see the notice making a huge difference out there, first off it has to reach people....second they have to follow it.

Don't get me wrong I hope folks who fish those water do follow what is suggested.

LC

McLeod
07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
So let the BROOKIES go ! LOL

The Great White Hype
07-16-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm in..... good info. Thanks