PDA

View Full Version : Canmore area fishing with a boat

jenlana
07-11-2013, 08:19 PM
We are heading to Canmore next weekend to meet up with my brother who lives in Toronto. He would like to go fishing out there, but I have no idea where to go. If there is a place we could take the boat, we would take it. Anyone know anything about fishing in this area?

EZM
07-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Where are you from?

I assume you have seen the news about the massive flooding and damage to the bow valley area (from Banff, thru Canmore and into Calgary and downstream).

i would assume access to certain lakes will be closed, limited and the water may be less than ideal.

Maybe someone can shed a little more light on this ........ but I'd suggest you connect with local fishing outfitters and tackle shops in the area, they will be able to help you out.

bobby2unes
07-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Call Wapiti Sports in Canmore. Talk to Nick.

Dust1n
07-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Call Wapiti Sports in Canmore. Talk to Nick.

didnt they close down?

rossi
07-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Was just in Canmore last Sunday and Wapiti is open not effected by flood. They are good people at the store full of knowledge and will be able to guide you into the right areas. The Bow was still high, dirty and moving swiftly. With K country opening up Upper and lower might be a good choice although not sure how clear the water will be.

Bigdad013
07-12-2013, 06:40 AM
You could try Minnewanka in Banff. Not very far at all from canmore.

Kokanee9
07-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Lake Minnewanka, if you have a boat that can handle some waves. On a calm day, the sun warms the face of the mountains around it and brings up the waves in the afternoon. Extremely cold water. Don't go if bad weather is in the forecast. National park license required.

For somebody that is from the East, they will never see scenery like it.

EZM
07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Minnewanka's boat launch and ramp is CLOSED due to significant flood damage.

Park' Canada has made an announcement and has indicated fines of up to $25,000 will be issued to violations.

Like I suggested - phone someone locally - getting advice on here might cost you gas money and time. Talk to people who are local and know what's going on out there as the situation changes daily.

Kokanee9
07-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Minnewanka's boat launch and ramp is CLOSED due to significant flood damage.

Park' Canada has made an announcement and has indicated fines of up to $25,000 will be issued to violations.

Like I suggested - phone someone locally - getting advice on here might cost you gas money and time. Talk to people who are local and know what's going on out there as the situation changes daily.

Good Catch EZM.

I just saw that other thread. Minnewanka is out!

EZM
07-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Good Catch EZM.

I just saw that other thread. Minnewanka is out!

Yeah - I'm very disappointed ........ it's such a great lake ......... wanted to go up to camp at two jack and fish the lake .........

Hopefully it will be open this season.

It's my turn for a 30 lber .........

sonofabrit
07-26-2013, 09:40 AM
i work in canmore. lake Minnewanka is closed, they reopened the dam again last week, so no chance of fishing there for a while. the bow is still high and moving fast and muddy, grotto pond past exshaw on the 1A is fishable, i saw some guys there last week fishing even though the boardwalk was destroyed. large areas of kananaskis are still unaccessable. fishing in this area is going to be a no go for the next 4 weeks i'd say till levels go down and clean up is completed