PDA

View Full Version : Outboard carb Question?

kevinhits
07-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Hey all....

Looking for some more info on cleaning my carb on my outboard. I have looked at other threads and went to CT for sea foam. All i could find was the liquid to put into my gas tank, but was looking for the spray as well. I have attached pics of my carb and not sure where to spray the sea foam?

Sorry, little new in dealing with Carbs..

Any help would be great...

Thank you:)

It is a 1985 Mercury 9.9

JohnnyD
07-12-2013, 04:18 PM
You can spray carb cleaner into the metal grate on the front of the carb. The grate is visible in both pictures and is under the black hose. This is where the carb sucks in air. Throttle up about halfway and spray carb cleaner in until it chokes itself out and stops running. Follow the directions on the can as to how long to let it sit.

kevinhits
07-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks Man...Kinda of thought that it should be sprayed there...I know the directions on the can to say let sit 3-5 min. but I have no way to spray the sea foam in there...ANy ideas? I could only find the liquid sea foam to put in my tank but no spray...

Thank you

huntsfurfish
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Try Canadian Tire.
oops reread your OP.
Thought I got mine there though(both).

prodogg02
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
you can try and unhook the fuel line opposite the carb end an place the line in the sea foam bottle suck it into the carb by turning the engine over . used to clean the dirt bike carb that way.

MrSector9
07-12-2013, 05:41 PM
The only real way to clean it is to disassemble it, spraying things in through the mouth will not work, The closest you will get it like it is said to suck it into the carb and let it sit, however depending what is in there it may not start after and you will have to drain the lines on it.

Best thing by far to use to clean it is Motomaster Carb & Combustion chamber cleaner, it is in a black bottle and is like $8 or so, Will do a great job on removing varnish.

I have not used seafoam or tried it as the other that I use works so good I never needed to try anything else.

I will not say it is hard but if you are new to carbs I do not recommend doing it yourself the first time, OR just take very good photos of each step so that you know exactly how it goes back together.

Improper reassembly/tuning can cause internal engine damage if you lean it out and run at high rpm's for a while.

Better question is why are you cleaning your carb?

kevinhits
07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
The only real way to clean it is to disassemble it, spraying things in through the mouth will not work, The closest you will get it like it is said to suck it into the carb and let it sit, however depending what is in there it may not start after and you will have to drain the lines on it.

Best thing by far to use to clean it is Motomaster Carb & Combustion chamber cleaner, it is in a black bottle and is like $8 or so, Will do a great job on removing varnish.

I have not used seafoam or tried it as the other that I use works so good I never needed to try anything else.

I will not say it is hard but if you are new to carbs I do not recommend doing it yourself the first time, OR just take very good photos of each step so that you know exactly how it goes back together.

Improper reassembly/tuning can cause internal engine damage if you lean it out and run at high rpm's for a while.

Better question is why are you cleaning your carb?

Thanks for the info...The carb is pretty clean but want to maintain it to keep it that way....

MrSector9
07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Oh OK, Then you need not worry about disassembly, and I would just add a little bit of the carb/combustion chamber cleaner to some fuel and run it through at low rpms (there is instructions on the bottle)

I just say to use that as I have no experiences with the seafoam, but over the passed almost 20 years of being a mechanic I have used at least 1000 gallons of the motomaster stuff :P

YeeHaw
07-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Your best bet would be to pull the carb off and clean it properly. Its not hard to do. there are a ton of videos on YouTube that will give you the "Just" of it.

kevinhits
07-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Oh OK, Then you need not worry about disassembly, and I would just add a little bit of the carb/combustion chamber cleaner to some fuel and run it through at low rpms (there is instructions on the bottle)

I just say to use that as I have no experiences with the seafoam, but over the passed almost 20 years of being a mechanic I have used at least 1000 gallons of the motomaster stuff :P

Did that eariler and just running it through now...Running way better and idling nice as we speak:)