PDA

View Full Version : Best type of anchor

catchandeat
07-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Hey all :)
I'm hoping soon to buy a 14' tinner... Just wondering what your guys opinions are on what the best type of anchor would be for most alberta waters? Hopefully planning to do some fishing in the southern reservoirs in the Brooks area, Glenmore Reservoir, and the kananaskis area, if that makes a difference..... Not looking on spending a fortune, but between the rode and the anchor itself i'd really like to keep it below 100$
thanks!
(also, would I need a length of chain between the anchor and the rope? I've heard conflicting reports so just thought i'd make sure... thanks)

huntsfurfish
07-12-2013, 05:36 PM
I like my foldup anchors. Have a locking ring for holding them open as well as shut. Have different sizes up to 22lbs. Mine all have a length of chain and at least 100 ft of rope.

Also invest in a sea anchor in case you have trouble(motor). it will keep you drifting with the bow to the wind or tie off the front corner and will have 1/4 the wind(may prevent water coming over the stern.

huntsfurfish
07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Also with the sea anchor(drift sock) deployed, it will slow your boat for better speed control when trolling.:)

catchandeat
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I like my foldup anchors. Have a locking ring for holding them open as well as shut. Have different sizes up to 22lbs. Mine all have a length of chain and at least 100 ft of rope.

Also invest in a sea anchor in case you have trouble(motor). it will keep you drifting with the bow to the wind or tie off the front corner and will have 1/4 the wind(may prevent water coming over the stern.

by a fold up anchor do you mean like a grappling anchor with the hooks? just want to clarify. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, forgot to mention, what would be a good weight for my size of boat?

huntsfurfish
07-12-2013, 06:05 PM
doesn't hurt to go heavier than you need if you fish in the wind. I can use a little less rope out that way.

Yes they have 4 arms that fold up for storage (grapple type).http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/boating-equipment/trolling-gear/anchor-kit/prod248168.html

like this but way bigger:)

catchandeat
07-12-2013, 06:07 PM
doesn't hurt to go heavier than you need if you fish in the wind. I can use a little less rope out that way.

Yes they have 4 arms that fold up for storage (grapple type).http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/boating-equipment/trolling-gear/anchor-kit/prod248168.html

like this but way bigger:)

cool i'll have to look into that! does it work well for weedy/sandy bottoms, or just for rocky type bottoms?

huntsfurfish
07-12-2013, 06:13 PM
the four arms fold up for storage. I have 2-10kg, 2-6 kg and 2-4 kg anchors of this type. Depends on conditions as to which anchors I will have on the boat. Mostly use the 6kg's and the 10kg's though.

huntsfurfish
07-12-2013, 06:19 PM
I have tried most anchor types out there and I like these the best (for me). they store better.

Use them a lot less now with the anchor lock on the minnkota Ipilot.:sHa_shakeshout:

Best in rocky, but ok in soft mud. Might drag for a little bit.
you could get by with a 6-8kg one.

If your in mud a lot http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/boating-equipment/trolling-gear/slip-ringanchor/prod246037.html

something like this might be better I had one and still liked the grapple better.

Navy anchors(traditional) are ok too.

pikergolf
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/BoatAnchorsRopes/PRD~0792682P/Anchor+Kit.jsp?locale=en

This should do you, google on how to set them, I can't explain things that well. One thing that will help a lot is to have a bungee between the boat and anchor, helps take the waves out of the equation.

These anchors work well if they are set properly.

Lornce
07-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Ive used a digger anchor for years now, bit more expensive but worth it, best one I've ever had, solid on a variety of bottoms and a quick jerk releases it. At one time I tended to loose an anchor or two but not since buying it, will pick up a second one this year.

catchandeat
07-12-2013, 07:15 PM
That bungee sounds like a good idea to absorb some waves... Most of the lakes I'm going to be fishing are weedy/muddy... and others (especially in the kananaskis area) are primarily rocky... hard to find an anchor for the best of both worlds!
decisions..... decisions! lol

gramps73
07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Digger all the way,,more money buy worth every penny

catchandeat
07-12-2013, 09:09 PM
The digger is fairly expensive but i may consider it... so it's basically a danforth type style anchor, but once you give the rope a pull it sets or releases?? how does it hold in rocky/weedy bottoms? I imagine it'd be really great for mud/sand, but does anybody have any experience with in weeds/rocks?
Thanks

gramps73
07-12-2013, 09:23 PM
works well in all conditions, i run a 20' fishing boat and she hold tight..

Lambo
07-13-2013, 12:08 AM
I have a couple anchors that I can sell you for super cheap

Willowtrail
07-13-2013, 12:36 AM
It's out of your price range but you'll never regret it.

Minn Kota iPilot.
Bow mount troller with GPS.

I haven't used a manual anchor since I bought it