PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near wrighting on stone prov park.

lyallpeder
07-15-2013, 06:59 AM
The family and I are going to wrighting on stone prov park for 8 nights starting this weekend. We are taking the rv so the canoe will have to stay at home. I have never been that far south but I am thinking I might take the fishing gear. Is there any half decent c&r fishing near the park?

Thanks
Lyall

lyallpeder
07-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Any updates what the milk river is like this year? Is it high? Low?:thinking-006:

hacman
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Always enjoyed camping there but never really spent time fishing the river, although Heninger's Res. is about 15 minutes from the park. Some nice fat rainbows there you can catch from shore on flies, spinners or bait. You may have to walk downstream of the park to do any fishing in order to get away from the tubes and rafts. The river moves pretty slow which makes it perfect for tubing. There are lots of access points up the river to put your tubes in. Water flows are dropping lately but I'm sure it is still pretty normal. Here's a map of the river that might help.

http://countyofwarner5.ab.ca/PDF/Milk%20River%20Canoe%20Map.pdf

huntsfurfish
07-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Be aware that there are rattlesnakes down here.

lyallpeder
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Always enjoyed camping there but never really spent time fishing the river, although Heninger's Res. is about 15 minutes from the park. Some nice fat rainbows there you can catch from shore on flies, spinners or bait. You may have to walk downstream of the park to do any fishing in order to get away from the tubes and rafts. The river moves pretty slow which makes it perfect for tubing. There are lots of access points up the river to put your tubes in. Water flows are dropping lately but I'm sure it is still pretty normal. Here's a map of the river that might help.

http://countyofwarner5.ab.ca/PDF/Milk%20River%20Canoe%20Map.pdf

Thanks!

Be aware that there are rattlesnakes down here.

Oh crap, I forgot about them. I will be the guy wading into the water in my crocks to fish!

huntsfurfish
07-16-2013, 12:15 PM
they will let you know they are around and even move out of the way if they have time. Just watch what you step over:)