PDA

View Full Version : Peep twist

bonecollector10
07-15-2013, 09:54 AM
I just had my bow restrung and all through bear hunting it was fine but now that im practicing more the peep is twisting.

Every shot I have to arrange it. Ive noticed that when I go to pullback my D loop is a tad to the right, would this have something to do with it? How do I fix this as its getting very annoying.

Lefty-Canuck
07-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes....twist your d-loop back square.

LC

58thecat
07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Yes....twist your d-loop back square.

LC

X2 Everything should be square prior to drawing back, if the d-loop is off when you draw back it will twist the string and your peep creating your problem.:mad3:

338Bluff
07-16-2013, 07:22 AM
What Lefty said, but also the string may have stretched in a tad or the peep may have moved up the string a little bit. In either event you should take the bow into whoever installed the string and have them tweak it a bit for you. Likely need to add a twist or move a strand or two of bowstring around the peep.

I had the same problem with my Mamba which I fixed by adding a simple half twist to my string. Peep sight came back into line. Love the APA. No bow press required.

bonecollector10
07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
The issue is I do reset my D loop but its every single time

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-18-2013, 01:51 PM
:D There are two factors or issues here at work...
String creep [String streching] and/or string balance..

Every bow string will stretch regardless of what string manufacturer states...thats the truth...even aircraft towing steel cable will stretch...

As the string creeps or stretches the peep and loop will move...

Having said that...Even a well shoot in string that is finished stretching ...or broke in [which due to factors this really never stops but is un-noticible at a point]
can continue peep and loop twist...this means the string also has to be balanced...which is done by twisting string equal on both ends...

Problem is there once string is balanced it has to be shoot in again, but with minimal arrows and tweaked until balanced and perfect...

After one installs a new string ...it will take up several hundred arrows to break in or stop stretching ...then one should always have bow re-spec tuned and string balanced...shot again and re-aligned and both peep and loop will remain straight to the shooter.

Neil

338Bluff
07-18-2013, 05:34 PM
How would you know it is not balanced? I just put a half twist in one end, the peep moved into line and the bow shoots great. Now I can't remember which end I twisted to go back and balance it as you say. Guess I just got lucky.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-18-2013, 05:38 PM
How would you know it is not balanced? I just put a half twist in one end, the peep moved into line and the bow shoots great. Now I can't remember which end I twisted to go back and balance it as you say. Guess I just got lucky.

:D Once the string is balanced and "shot in" the half twist will not throw it out of balance...Most likely put it back into balance due to the creep or stretch...

Neil

338Bluff
07-18-2013, 08:27 PM
:D Once the string is balanced and "shot in" the half twist will not throw it out of balance...Most likely put it back into balance due to the creep or stretch...

Neil

I dunno. Now you have me running scared:scared0015:

I am pretty analytical, so most likely I'm not sleeping well until I can get into a shop and get things checked out.:D

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
:D Lol ...I wouldnt worry too much about it...see if it moves more...remember its a new string and will creep slightly for a while..hot weather , cold weather etc can effect it as it settles...

I have balanced a peep by twisting the bottom end string instead of the top to move and balance a peep...

I see you have a press?...have you checked the Manufacturers specs...because when a string settles the bow should be be brought back to spec tune also...

Neil

338Bluff
07-19-2013, 07:48 PM
:D Lol ...I wouldnt worry too much about it...see if it moves more...remember its a new string and will creep slightly for a while..hot weather , cold weather etc can effect it as it settles...

I have balanced a peep by twisting the bottom end string instead of the top to move and balance a peep...

I see you have a press?...have you checked the Manufacturers specs...because when a string settles the bow should be be brought back to spec tune also...

Neil

Nope. No press. Just the little 2.5 " metal pin that comes with an APA bow.:)

bukwild
07-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Yup. Usually string "break in" goes like this for me. Keep turning the D loop for a while, then twist the string half twist one end at a time (up to two twists each end) and then finally move my peep up one twist to get the peep back in. I do this this over a period of time while the string is "breaking in".

HoytAlpha35
07-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Yup. Usually string "break in" goes like this for me. Keep turning the D loop for a while, then twist the string half twist one end at a time (up to two twists each end) and then finally move my peep up one twist to get the peep back in. I do this this over a period of time while the string is "breaking in".

Time for a new string builder sounds like poor building and probably something unstable like 8125 for material. After 10 shots you should be able to set your peep and not have to fight it like you make it sound.

bukwild
07-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Mathews strings on both my Switchback and Helim. Usually takes between 2-300 shots before sets in.

bonecollector10
07-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Got it all figured out. Just have to resight 7 pins now..

Boerkie
07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Just happened to me too! realized that after i used the bow scale, is it possible that could have caused this?

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Just happened to me too! realized that after i used the bow scale, is it possible that could have caused this?

:D Not sure what your asking? in relation to bow scale?

Neil

Boerkie
07-25-2013, 02:13 PM
:D Not sure what your asking? in relation to bow scale?

Neil

sorry, its the tool that you pull down on with your bow to determine your draw weight of the bow.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
sorry, its the tool that you pull down on with your bow to determine your draw weight of the bow.

:D yes I am familar with a bow scale was wondering what happened when you used it?

Neil

Boerkie
07-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Nothing happened when i used it, i had one of the staff do it for me! But i noticed after i had that done my peep was twisted so im just wondering if that might have caused the twist?

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-27-2013, 08:54 PM
:D lol Got it...no ..it was just normal string creep...[stretch]..strings are twisted clockwise ..as a string stretches it rotates counter clockwise..

Neil

Boerkie
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Haha thanks! So does that mean i have to get it replaced? I been shooting with it for a year now, not an expert on it at all but it looks good still. Wax it after every shoot.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Haha thanks! So does that mean i have to get it replaced? I been shooting with it for a year now, not an expert on it at all but it looks good still. Wax it after every shoot.

:D Nope..not at all..just have it adjusted...than good to go

Neil

Boerkie
07-29-2013, 08:33 AM
:D Nope..not at all..just have it adjusted...than good to go

Neil

Thank you Neil!! It is because of people like you that I joined this forum, great guy!:cheers:

schian
08-23-2013, 06:13 AM
bringing back an old thread folks.
so i have been having a heck of a time getting my peep to not twist, i finally got so tired of it and decided i didn't want to take the chance of having it twist in the stand/ blind so i went to a tube.
why is this not more popular, or is it and i just never hear of it? haha
i understand you lose a few fps but isn't that peace of mind worth it?
just wondering.

Schian

Lefty-Canuck
08-23-2013, 06:42 AM
I don't like a tube on a hunting bow personally....I do a lot of walking and the tube can get caught and rip off.... If you don't notice and it is the moment of truth, you are hosed by a hose!

LC

Marko
08-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Like lefty said, can snag on branches,etc. and the possibility of it snapping back into your eye(if not maintained or noticed). Hasn't happened to me, but I removed it before I had an issue. Using a G5 tubeless now, but experiencing peep twist now. It's an old string, so maybe that's my issue

Mark

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-23-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't like a tube on a hunting bow personally....I do a lot of walking and the tube can get caught and rip off.... If you don't notice and it is the moment of truth, you are hosed by a hose!

LC

:D I agree 100% with Lefty...for several reasons as mentioned above...

have two shooters over the years with eye damage from them...they always break at the worst time...

Other than the eye damage which is the worst by far...its even stated on some packages to wear eye protection or safty glasses...dohh there's a red falg...

but the #1 reason other than the eye issue...is string damage...back in the day when bows were only a smokin 190 fps and cables were actually metal plastic coated cables...they were not so much an issue but with todays bows at 300 FPS plus and cable yokes etc one can damage strings and cables within a 100 shots on some models...picture getting snapped in the butt with that rubber tube doing 300 plus feet per second....its gonna hurt ..lol

Neil

FallAirFever
08-23-2013, 09:50 AM
My tube came off my peep at the range and smacked me on the lower eye lid. That was the last time I had one on my bow. I have a G5 Meta peep now and really like it. But it will creep a bit from time to time.

Antelopeous
08-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Once your string is stretched out a bit peep twist is a simple fix. You do need a press though. just move a few threads of string from one side to the other and make sure you move the same number to either side. trial and error on how many threads and what direction. did this after about 100 arrows out of my new bow and i dont have a twist problem anymore

schian
08-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Once your string is stretched out a bit peep twist is a simple fix. You do need a press though. just move a few threads of string from one side to the other and make sure you move the same number to either side. trial and error on how many threads and what direction. did this after about 100 arrows out of my new bow and i dont have a twist problem anymore

i've shot probably about 300 out my new bow and it was still twisting like crazy last night after i had it adjusted at the shop (2nd time i've done that)
i think i'll do the tube this season and try tube-less again next year and see how that goes.

Schian

HoytAlpha35
08-24-2013, 08:08 PM
i've shot probably about 300 out my new bow and it was still twisting like crazy last night after i had it adjusted at the shop (2nd time i've done that)
i think i'll do the tube this season and try tube-less again next year and see how that goes.

Schian

What brand and type of string material are you using? My own strings I build with BCY 452x and also use Brownell Xs2 these materials are naturally stable and don't creep. 8190 is another good material for a string. Im no expert builder, but I throw my peep before I take a shot. If your peep twists right off the hop its poorly built. If its good to start and then moves there creeping.

pseelk
08-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Make sure your D-loop is square with the string.If it is not square it will rotate the string as you draw,thereby twisting the string and rotating the peep.

Unregistered user
08-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Mine has been moving around lots too. I'm a newb. Anyone use a red dot?

schian
08-25-2013, 10:05 AM
does anyone on here use a kisser by any chance? this would eliminate any issues with the peep twist no?

just curious, kind of want to get everything as simple as possible.

Schian

pseelk
08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
A kisser would work,but if you cant see your sight pins because the peep is twisted,it wont help much.If it was me I would use a g5 meta peep and get it installed so it works properly.

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-26-2013, 09:33 AM
A kisser would work,but if you cant see your sight pins because the peep is twisted,it wont help much.If it was me I would use a g5 meta peep and get it installed so it works properly.

:D This is correct ...however if the shooter is thinking of eliminating the peep and simply shooting "off the string" that works...

This is the system I use on my set ups...this is my APA Viper...notice its jkust a kisser and nock points...very accurate in the right hands...anyone can shoot this way... I eliminated the loop and peep years ago for the KISS sysndrom in the feild..lol

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/LOSTArrowArchery/IMG_1181JPG3_zps3245d717.jpg

Neil

pseelk
08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
You are correct Niel,Before I switched from finger shooting to a release,That is the setup I used .It was very effective.Now that I think of it ,Not sure why I switched from the kisser to the Meta peep when I got my Alphamax.The peep seems to work just as well though.But then so far mine stays staight when I come to full draw.:)

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
:D I use a release under bottom UCB button...I have three solid anchor points ..the kisser -string to my face and release hand tucked in jaw under ear...I look at pins on right side of string and see no string or cable...unobstructed vision in all light...
works extrememly well for me and many others...

Neil

ishootbambi
08-26-2013, 10:44 AM
I cant imagine a crappier piece of equipment to put on your bow than a peep. a kisser is a step up, but if you want the Cadillac of anchor points, go with an anchor sight. does everything a peep or a kisser does and so much more they never could....like eliminate hand torque. they are a bit pricey in comparison, but the best always is. no bow of mine will ever have a peep again.

gcfby07
08-26-2013, 10:52 AM
:sHa_sarcasticlol:Hey LOST didn't realize you had today off,maybe I'll stop by the shop.

Marko
08-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I cant imagine a crappier piece of equipment to put on your bow than a peep. a kisser is a step up, but if you want the Cadillac of anchor points, go with an anchor sight. does everything a peep or a kisser does and so much more they never could....like eliminate hand torque. they are a bit pricey in comparison, but the best always is. no bow of mine will ever have a peep again.

How is the set up on the anchor sites? Do u look from beside the string when at full draw? I've been researching these a bit and have been thinkin about buying one as a bday gift for myself. Wasn't too sure about set up time and with it being season in days, don't wanna start throwing wrenches in the gears

Thanks
Mark

Battle Rat
08-26-2013, 06:23 PM
How is the set up on the anchor sites? Do u look from beside the string when at full draw? I've been researching these a bit and have been thinkin about buying one as a bday gift for myself. Wasn't too sure about set up time and with it being season in days, don't wanna start throwing wrenches in the gears

Thanks
Mark

The set up and adjustment is quick and easy.
Might have to remove the site and mounted it over the anchor mount the move the pins back 1/8".
Adjusting the anchor site doesn't take long.
You will like it.

schian
08-26-2013, 08:03 PM
where can you get one of these in town? or do you just have to order online?

Schian

ishootbambi
08-26-2013, 08:17 PM
the anchor sight is only available in Canada im told at swamp donkey in spruce grove. I just ordered one for my bow that was stolen from him. its a couple bucks more than getting it direct from the website in the US, but I don't mind supporting Canadian businesses. if you could go there to buy it, he could help you set it up faster than you likely would alone.

search this forum as there has been a few descriptions of what guys have done, but basically, istall it in your peripheral vision right near your sight housing but don't take the peep out first. once you have the fine tune on the anchor, then remove the peep and youre off. the first time I set mine up, it took about 20 minutes....but I watched a few youtube videos to get the principal down. I doubt youre near medicine hat or I woud offer to show it to you and explain, and help set one up for yourself.

like I said...a little steep compared to a peep, but it will guarantee no hand torque, improving your accuracy, as well as add a few minutes at dawn and dusk where it matters most.

Lefty-Canuck
08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
I'll save you some time searching....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87509&highlight=Anchor+site

LC

Marko
08-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks Bambi, just ordered one from the website before reading your last post. Happy bday me! Lol got the camo one, international express 1-5 business days, $167

Pumped to get it installed and get it going!

Mark

Marko
08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I'll save you some time searching....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87509&highlight=Anchor+site

LC

Thanks lefty, did you mount that directly to your sight bracket? An when at draw, are you looking from beside the string?

Thanks and sorry for the derail

Mark

Lefty-Canuck
08-27-2013, 10:19 AM
It has its own bracket that goes between the riser and the sight bracket, I set the anchor site so I look around the string so that the string does not obstruct my view.

LC

L.O.S.T.Arrow
08-27-2013, 11:14 AM
:sHa_sarcasticlol:Hey LOST didn't realize you had today off,maybe I'll stop by the shop.

LOL...Sundays only...well supposed to be...were one of those that showed up you this past sunday...lol

Neil

ishootbambi
08-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks Bambi, just ordered one from the website before reading your last post. Happy bday me! Lol got the camo one, international express 1-5 business days, $167

Pumped to get it installed and get it going!

Mark

youre gonna wonder how you spent so much time in the dark. I guarantee you wont regret it.

now, im a right hand shooter. what I did was install the anchor against the riser under the sight bracket. that means you will have to move your sight housing left 1/8 inch. I left my peep in until I had the anchor lined up to my anchor point, then removed the peep and I sight right along the left side of the string.

now that worked for me, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. if you have a more comfortable anchor point that allows you to sight down the right side of the string, that will work too. once you have it set up, you will be able to see plain as day just how little torque in your hand can make a difference when shooting. I thought I was pretty good before, but the anchor sight did make me a little better shooter. no matter what though, I still say the biggest advantage is gaining that critical few minutes on the edge of legal shooting hours...especially in cover.

if you have any trouble getting things lined up, shoot me a pm and I will give you my phone number to call me and I can try to help.

schian
09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Went out to Swamp Donkey today, picked up a tightspot quiver, some small game heads, a new bow sling and an anchor sight, all for $250.

Haven't had a chance to shoot with the anchor sight yet but am pretty excited, he sells and installs them all in for $100.

Also he's got the Montec broadheads on for $35 a pack, just a heads up.

ISB, how long did it take to get used to the anchor sight?

Schian

Lefty-Canuck
09-02-2013, 06:38 PM
It didn't take me too long to figure mine out.

Just remember when setting it up to set it to your current anchor....easiest to be done using an existing peep sight.

Then once it is where it needs to be, remember it is a point of reference that should not change.

If you use one in a tree stand it will show you errors in your form so you need to practice to compensate for the change in body position.

LC

Unregistered user
09-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Went out to Swamp Donkey today, picked up a tightspot quiver, some small game heads, a new bow sling and an anchor sight, all for $250.

Haven't had a chance to shoot with the anchor sight yet but am pretty excited, he sells and installs them all in for $100.

Also he's got the Montec broadheads on for $35 a pack, just a heads up.

ISB, how long did it take to get used to the anchor sight?

Schian

$100 that's way cheap. Thanx fer the tip.

schian
09-02-2013, 10:03 PM
$100 that's way cheap. Thanx fer the tip.

Yep, and he does 100% money back guarantee, even if you just decide that you don't like it, as long as theres no scratches or damage.

Thanks for the tips LC, i'll definitely keep that in mind and post a review after i get a chance to shoot.

Schian