PDA

View Full Version : Best lake for a rookie in a 12 ft boat

thing
07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Been shore fishing with the wife and 2 small kids for a couple years now. I just picked up a 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9 and want to give it a go. Problem is, I'm as inexperienced as they come. What lake would you recommend around Edmonton that isn't too busy, big enough yet small enough, to get me comfortable with the boat.

Also, any tips would be appreciated? dos and don'ts sort to speak.

Iceman4
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
I can't comment on lakes, but a slower one with a quiet boat launch is always nice when you're learning. That way you won't have a line up of people putting on the pressure.

Would be a good idea for everyone to leave their life jacket on. Make sure you have your operator license with you, and all required safety equipment(you can find lists of what's required online). Don't forget to put your boat plug in before you launch. Once you get out on the water take a good amount of time to play around and get comfortable with controlling the boat and how the motor behaves. Stay well clear of debris, boats, and other obstacles. Be mindful of your wake and how it will affect other boats, especially ones that are tied up at docks. When you're at a dock, be careful that you don't put your fingers between the boat and the dock, waves can cause you to pinch the fingers pretty bad.

These are just a few. Have fun!

Swath
07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
wizard lake during the week especially in the AM. No boats, quiet launch during the week (and free monday to thursday), quite sheltered and lots of little pike to keep you busy. Personally caught 6 in 3 hrs there about a month ago. Watch for rocks acroos from the launch though. they sneak up on you.

keep6matt
07-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Yup make sure everyone has their life jackets on, first off, next make sure you have a captain's license for operating a boat then I would suggest go to Battle Lake and run some bottom bouncers in about 14 to 16 FOW and you should have a fun time catching the walleye, there is also a speed limit on the lake. Another good thought would be Paddle River Dam Reservoir by Mayerthorpe for walleye and large pike (can't keep any wallys but can keep a pike) Another thought would be Dolberg Lake by Barrhead for rainbows and use slip bobbers and dew worms or again run bottom bouncers. Have fun and be safe.

dodgeboy1979
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
don't forget to put the plug in lol. Pick a smaller lake and check the forcast, go on a nice calm day so you can gain confidence in the boat without worrying about smashing waves just to get back to the dock.

keep6matt
07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
don't forget to put the plug in lol. Pick a smaller lake and check the forcast, go on a nice calm day so you can gain confidence in the boat without worrying about smashing waves just to get back to the dock.

Yeah great advice!! LOL also if you do encounter some bigger waves angle them on your way back to shore rather than taking them head on.

Pikes"R"us
07-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Make sure you have your boating license! You learn a lot about how to control your boat and the do's and don'ts in terms of safety! Especially since you say you have a small family. Wabamun is a nice place to try out. You can stay close to the shore & still catch some nice fish. Quieter during the week but because it's a big lake you don't want to get caught in bad weather!

fish gunner
07-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Burnstick is a great small craft lake . Not too much trafic , with only the occasional tool running way too much boat . Sheltered easy access lots of small fish for the kids.

thing
07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks for advice, and please keep it coming :)

Parents have a cabin at Alberta beach, nothing wrong with playing at lac st anne is there?

Where is the plug located :0

Swath
07-15-2013, 02:38 PM
If you don't put the plug in you will find out where it is right away :-).

It is at the lowest part of your transom (back of the boat where the motor attached to). Its a hole about 1" in diameter with a screw type friction fitting plug that you put in from the outside of the boat.

dodgeboy1979
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
It is at the lowest part of your transom (back of the boat where the motor attached to). Its a hole about 1" in diameter with a screw type friction fitting plug that you put in from the outside of the boat.[/QUOTE]

or it is the rubber expanding style you put in from the inside of the boat. Bring a bail bucket, a sound/signal device, flashlight, rope, oars......and leave the beer at the dock for the first couple outings lol

NEWB
07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Been shore fishing with the wife and 2 small kids for a couple years now. I just picked up a 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9 and want to give it a go. Problem is, I'm as inexperienced as they come. What lake would you recommend around Edmonton that isn't too busy, big enough yet small enough, to get me comfortable with the boat.

Also, any tips would be appreciated? dos and don'ts sort to speak.

Lots of solid advice so far so I won’t repeat some of it.

A few days before you head out make a small check list what you need. Last thing you want is to be launching and forget something like bait, tackle, fishing rods, life jackets, snacks, change of clothes, snacks, water, etc. If you do one up a few days in advance you will remember what you may need as time passes.

Make it about them. Not you. If you are landing the fish and they are bored out of there tree, don’t be afraid to pull anchor and rip it up on the lake for a while. Go check out the nature, the ducks, the beaver dams, etc. The kids will remember this more than dad landing some fish and they were staring at the water the entire time.

Lac St. Anne is a decent lake, same with Wabamun. Be careful with Wab though. When you get a west wind the waves can come pretty deep.

Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. If you’re backing up your trailer for the first time then you will likely mess that up.. Heck, I’ve launched hundreds of times and still mess up from time to time. When you launch the boat make sure someone is there to grab the rope to make sure your boat is there, or tie it down to the dock. Launching then going swimming after your boat is never fun.

Be patient and don’t loose your cool. Take a breath and roll with it.

If your trailer lights are not submersible, unhook the trailer light connector. Otherwise you could burst all your bulbs.

The more water time you get the more experienced you will become. Also don’t be afraid to “pack it in” If you feel that you are about to be outside your comfort level, especially with kids on board. Your comfort level will increase the more you are exposed to the elements and conditions.

Make sure you also bring a socket and socket wrench (correct size) for your trailer axle bolts. Incase you get a flat, this is a nice thing to have!

TROLLER
07-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for advice, and please keep it coming :)

Parents have a cabin at Alberta beach, nothing wrong with playing at lac st anne is there?

Where is the plug located :0

Most likely in a 12ft. you do not have a plug. Just make sure you always carry a bailing bucket. Also comes in handy when nature is calling after too much coffee.

Big thing is if you have no experience backing up a trailer make sure to go slow and turn the wheel very slowly and not too much. If you have a truck just drop the tailgate then you will be able to see what is back there and it will be no problem backing up.

While you do not need a boaters license for this size it is a good idea to get one anyway. It will teach you some pretty basic safety measures.

Have fun and keep the life jacket on.

Swath
07-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Most likely in a 12ft. you do not have a plug. Just make sure you always carry a bailing bucket. Also comes in handy when nature is calling after too much coffee.

Big thing is if you have no experience backing up a trailer make sure to go slow and turn the wheel very slowly and not too much. If you have a truck just drop the tailgate then you will be able to see what is back there and it will be no problem backing up.

While you do not need a boaters license for this size it is a good idea to get one anyway. It will teach you some pretty basic safety measures.

Have fun and keep the life jacket on.

I may be wrong but I think that all boats with a motor (including electric) need to have a lisenced driver.

thehook
07-15-2013, 04:03 PM
I have a canoe with a trolling motor and im supposed to have a licence to operate it.

thing
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Wow, thanks guys.

Won't be launching with a trailer. The main reason for a 12 ft (for now) is the ability to throw it on top of the truck and still able able to haul the RV.

I don't recall seeing a plug, that is why I asked. I'm glad TROLLER said that it might not have one...I'll double check tonight.

With regards to putting the boat in the water (remember no trailer) should I launch it at the boat launch, or is it frowned upon to just put it in the water wherever there is space?

I can't decide if I'll go by myself, with a buddy, my son, or whole family. If with the wife and kids (5 & 7). I'm assuming wife at the bow, kids in the middle. 360 +/- lbs too heavy for a 12 footer with a 9.9?

I am under the impression I do need a license.

Any advice for purchasing life jackets?

dodgeboy1979
07-15-2013, 04:31 PM
just make sure lifejackets are rated for the weight of the individual wearing it that's all.

Swath
07-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Go to Canadian Tire to get some jackets. Best to have everybody with you so that you can get the right size as they should be snug but I always leave room for additional clothing should the weather require it.

I got my license from boaterexam.com. It cost about $55. There are 6 modules that you need to go through and each module has a test that you need to complete. Then you can write the final. Takes about 6 hours from beginning to end. The test itself wasn't that difficult but it did require that you know about things that you likely will not encounter (ocean bouys, navigation, etc.) but it does have a lot of good information too. Worth the $55 IMO.

evileddie713
07-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Go to Canadian Tire to get some jackets. Best to have everybody with you so that you can get the right size as they should be snug but I always leave room for additional clothing should the weather require it.

I got my license from boaterexam.com. It cost about $55. There are 6 modules that you need to go through and each module has a test that you need to complete. Then you can write the final. Takes about 6 hours from beginning to end. The test itself wasn't that difficult but it did require that you know about things that you likely will not encounter (ocean bouys, navigation, etc.) but it does have a lot of good information too. Worth the $55 IMO.

I took this test just last week. Alot of good information in their modules though there are 7 now. Does take some time to get through but sure does drill it into your head.

mulie4x4
07-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I launch my aluminum boat at the loading dock, but I go off to the side and carry it in as I haul it in the back of my truck. 360 might be pushing the top end of the weight load for your boat, my 14 foot weight limit is around 450 pounds. There is a plaque riveted on the boat someplace that well tell you the weight limit, mine is on the back seat near the bottom. If its your first time maybe go out with only one person until you get use to the boat. Get your license has lots of good info you need and be safe.

justinO
07-15-2013, 05:27 PM
I would suggest Jackfish lake.

TROLLER
07-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Can Tire or Wallmart for jackets. Just make sure you try them on the kids before buying them

Swath, unless they changed the rules you do not need an operators license if the boat is less than 10HP.

NSRfishing
07-15-2013, 06:02 PM
long island lake north westlock

http://www.westlockcounty.com/index.php/services/recreation/17-services/recreation/57-long-island-lake

Pixel Shooter
07-15-2013, 06:11 PM
There will be a embossed plate, probably located on inside of transom port side. It will state weight inside boat and # of max persons. I would think it would have a plug, just dbl check. You need the minimum requirements for safety in boat, whistle, flashlight , rope, bailing container etc.

I don't believe you need a pleasure craft licence being you are only running a 9.9hp but you will need an operators licence as other folks suggested.

Lots of lakes really , not as busy during the week, just take your time and enjoy the experience!

FishingFrenzy
07-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Battle Lake is nice because its quiet, and there is a 12km/h speed limit so there's really only fishing boats out there. No skiiers or wakeboarders...

You need a Pleasure Craft Operators License for ANY boat equipped with a motor, regardless of size.

Make sure you have a whistle, bailing bucket, buoyant heaving line (15m), waterproof flashlight, paddle, and PFD's for every person on board.

I would go out on your own at first, just to get a feel for the boat. Four people is alot for a 12ft and it will handle differently.

Be cautious when nearing shore or area that may be shallow, as you can do alot of damage to your motor and prop if you hit bottom.

Never run your motor with the leg out of the water, the motor uses water to cool it.

One big thing I learned with my boat, is dont go from full throttle to no throttle super quick, or you may take water over the transom.

tight lines!

canadiantdi
07-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Yes, put the plug in for sure. I didn't one time at Winefred. Embarrassing. Glad that the guys there had a hand pump for me to use.

Wabamun would be good. Launch at the provincial park during the week and stay in moonlight bay. Venture out past the train bridge if the weather is nice. Good luck!

Walleyemagnet
07-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Go to any lake you want. My first trip in my 12 footer was to Faucett with my 12 year old son. Followed shortly thereafter by Calling. The first fish my kid ever caught was a 6+lb walleye at Calling. Don't be afraid of bigger water as long as the weather's half decent. The cool thing about a 12 footer is that you can drive into shore and pull up onto shore by hand if he weather gets bad. I don't have that option anymore...unless I take the 12 footer.

tripnaxel
07-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Go to hanmore during the week it's an hour and 15 mins from Edmonton. It's a small lake, no rocks (shallow in the bay) with a ton of small jacks for some good fun for the family. The best launch is on the south side. Fish anywhere near the cabins. Easy to get off if a storm rolls in. And a decent beach if anyone is tired of the boat.

chriscosta
07-16-2013, 01:31 AM
you absolutly need a boaters liscense no matter the size of the boat or the motor and your boat will go good on any lake in alberta actually slave can get bad but if the waves are big take it easy i been drivin my 12 footer for years and never had a problem and ive seen some brutal waves one time on wab i launched at moonlight bay and ran outta gas at seba beach lol oops the wind was strong and it took me about six hrs of rowing for dear life against the waves to get back i cannot describe the feeling i got when i got passed them train tracks into moonlight bay lol

TheRealDeal
07-16-2013, 02:45 AM
You are in exactly the same boat (groan) as I was 3 years ago. First boat, 12 feet with an 8. My advice is to leave the kids on the beach for the first half hour. Little boats handle funny with kids moving around and being brand new its a good idea to get used to how it handles. Dont turn too sharp, make all your maneuvers nice and smooth. Always keep your eyes open for sticks, LOGS and rocks. Props are expensive & rowing / paddling sucks. Once the wife & kids hop in expect your top speed to come way down. The boat will sit lower in the water and will handle very different. I suggest staying well within sight of the boat launch on your maiden voyage. If something goes wrong being 3 miles away sucks.

Take your time, figure out how everything works and have fun! I just graduated from my little 12 with an 8 to a 16 with a 100. My boat has always been my most prized posession.

Geezle
07-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Can Tire or Wallmart for jackets. Just make sure you try them on the kids before buying them

Swath, unless they changed the rules you do not need an operators license if the boat is less than 10HP.

The operator needs a license as soon as you have any sort of motorized propulsion, be it gas or electric motor.

The boat however, does not need to be licensed as long as the motor is under 10HP. :)

harryones
07-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Buy a pair of earmuffs for the leg, hook the garden hose up and test your motor at home. At least you know it will start when you get out there. Can't count how many times I've seen guys launch and then can't get their motors started.

thing
07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I really appreciate all the advice, this forum proves how invaluable it is. Thank you.

I just picked it up from Snowman, the motor is good to go. I'm looking forward to getting it in the water.

For those of you who have recently taken the license test online. Do I have to sit in front of the computer for hours, or can I start and stop (log in/ log off) throughout the test?

Is a speedo necessary?

TheRealDeal
07-16-2013, 01:54 PM
A speedometer is not necessary at all. If your curious about your speed use your handheld gps.

The operators course is a joke to be honest. Nothing more than a cash grab. Took me all of 20 mins to do it.

thing
07-16-2013, 02:09 PM
I think it is dumb that you only need 75% to pass. Some questions are vastly more important than others.

Swath
07-17-2013, 09:37 AM
A speedometer is not necessary at all. If your curious about your speed use your handheld gps.

The operators course is a joke to be honest. Nothing more than a cash grab. Took me all of 20 mins to do it.

20 minutes?? Which company did you take your test with?

You can log in and off as required to complete the work on boaterexam.com I do not know about some of the other testing sites though.

TROLLER
07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
The way they get around the test know is bunk.

Take it in 20 minutes at Bass.

I had to take mine at Motor Vehicles and sat at a computer. Had I think 45 questions and you were allowed 6 misses. BTW I got the license maybe the first year they came out and only MV could administer the test.

You had to study for the exam not just take it on line and look up the answers.

Like I said a bunch of bull.

NEWB
07-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow, thanks guys.

Won't be launching with a trailer. The main reason for a 12 ft (for now) is the ability to throw it on top of the truck and still able able to haul the RV.

I don't recall seeing a plug, that is why I asked. I'm glad TROLLER said that it might not have one...I'll double check tonight.

With regards to putting the boat in the water (remember no trailer) should I launch it at the boat launch, or is it frowned upon to just put it in the water wherever there is space?

I can't decide if I'll go by myself, with a buddy, my son, or whole family. If with the wife and kids (5 & 7). I'm assuming wife at the bow, kids in the middle. 360 +/- lbs too heavy for a 12 footer with a 9.9?

I am under the impression I do need a license.

Any advice for purchasing life jackets?

Cool cool.

Just make sure you have all the safety gear first. Also get a wet bag or a waterproof bag to put your rain gear, warm clothes in and keep in the boat. I’ve got a 30L bag and it suits my needs nicely.

If you’re going out first, take a buddy with you. That way you can figure out your “system” and pattern for loading and unloading the boat on the truck. Once you’re comfortable with that, then take the wife and kids… otherwise your well planned adventure could turn out to be a disaster of a life time.

360lbs should be fine for a 9.9. When accelerating or cruising, try to move people to the middle of the boat so it gets on a plane quicker. If you see the back end sinking too much… then re adjust the weight in the boat. The 9.9 should be decent power for a 12 footer. I ran a 9.9 on my 14 Aluminum for a while. It was slow with 3 guys in the boat plus gear. If it was my self then it was ok. Now I’m running a 20 hp.

As for launching, I’d launch at the boat launch. Sometimes people will be willing to help out. I’ve helped a few people load/unload their boat off their vehicle while I’m waiting to load or unload my boat at the dock. It speeds things up and it helps make their experience a lot better. It beats grumbling and cussing at the person who is struggling trying to get it done.

Life jackets can be found anywhere. As mentioned, you can take pick them up anywhere. You should take them with you to check for fit, or if you know their weights (yes, asking a woman her weight is a slippery slope) you can go and pick them up.

If you go swimming at any public pools, you could also get them to try on a few there, mark down the sizes and go pick them up.

You can go to most outdoor retailers for the jackets, and also look on kijiji. I’ve noticed some brand new life jackets going for next to nothing.

Also make sure you’ve got Oars. They come in handy should you suffer a motor failure.

As for the license you do need a pleasure craft operators license. As some had mentioned the course can be interesting and some stuff not applicable. You will find when you are out there on the lake you wonder how some of these operators acquired their license with the stunts they pull.

thing
07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
It takes 3 hours to do the test, not a second less. Each page is timed, you cannot proceed to the next page of the test until the timer says so.

I read all the pages in less than 3 hours but I was unable to write the test. I had to go back and "study" until my 3 hour minimum was reached.

The test itself is 50 multiple choice questions which could be easily answered in 20 minutes. It takes you at least 3 hours to get there though ;)

bubba 96
07-17-2013, 06:00 PM
It takes 3 hours to do the test, not a second less. Each page is timed, you cannot proceed to the next page of the test until the timer says so.

I read all the pages in less than 3 hours but I was unable to write the test. I had to go back and "study" until my 3 hour minimum was reached.

The test itself is 50 multiple choice questions which could be easily answered in 20 minutes. It takes you at least 3 hours to get there though ;)

And that's why I did mine at bass pro about 3yrs ago,maybe 15 mins in and out, keep writing till u pass and only pay when u pass, I had my 9yr old with me when I did it and the guy let him do it for fun, and he missed the passing mark by 2 questions.....guy asked if he wanted him to do it again, but I said no that's all I need is my kid wanting to drive the boat..lol

Questions were: how do you dry a life jacket, a in the back of a trunk .
B dryer
C hang to dry

Like really what the hell does this have to do with operating a boat...

I know the answer but really, with these types of questions any one can pass them...

thing
07-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know you could walk in and write it.

Although spending 3+ hrs is a time consuming.....I did learn something. I will however admit to knowing how to dry a life jacket prior to taking the test :)