PDA

View Full Version : Lake Newell

Crazy Horse
07-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Just wondering if anyone has been fishing it and how is it. Ive been fishing it a bit and havent been catching many, but the ones I do catch are good sized. About 50/50 walleye to pike. Targetting walleye, havent found any good holes yet, just been trolling and catching them in 14-16 ft of water with crankbaits.

npauls
07-17-2013, 05:30 PM
I fished it last weekend and it wasn't the greatest day I have ever had on that lake.

Hopefully I can make it out there again in a few weeks to give it another try.

We were marking a ton of fish but couldn't get many of them to eat.

deschambault
07-17-2013, 07:47 PM
July long we fished it - lost about 10 walleye spinners to hungry pike.

Crazy Horse
07-18-2013, 07:17 AM
the fish were few and far between but its nice catching some decent sized ones. caught all walleye trolling. Threw some jigs with minnows off of some rocky points but only managed a couple pike. And I never explored too far from the island either, so maybe the north or south end might be producing a little better.

newell
07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
i suppose i would have a better report if i could fish while towing my kids around on a tube as that seems to be our focus these days. but the small amount of fishing we have done has had fairly slow results.

Crazy Horse
07-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Tow the kids around on the tube or skis, and sneak an hour or two of fishing in before the kids get restless and have to rip them around behind the boat again. But any time I can spend on the lake is good enough for me. I'm glad I'm not the only one not catching a bunch out there

bowness
07-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Buying one of those tow thingys for the kids. As you say will probably cut into my fishing time. Will need to get up early for my personal fishing time!

Most luck we have had at Newell has been trolling walleye rigs (made with 30 pound mono to avoid pike losses) with a minnow in 10-16 fow. That was May long weekend. At that time we also had some good luck casting for pike with spoons in the deepest parts of shallow bays.

I have not ventured south but have heard it can be good off some points for walleye. I am just cheap and my 90 hp jet is a gas pig. I have not had much luck jigging and seem to need to cover more water to find fish. They do not seem to be congregated in specific spots but that may be because I have not found them!

Need to fill 3 more tags this summer so will be going back in a week or two. Anyone willing to exchange good spots? PM me. I only have 4...

lobre370
07-22-2013, 01:56 PM
I haven't been to newel yet this year, but normally i do fairly decently. My lake of choice if i want to catch pike, I've been there many many times, and cant ever remember being skunked.

rielbowhunter
07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
I just caught my best walleye there last week, 9.9 lbs at 77cms.

fishermansfriend
07-22-2013, 09:51 PM
I just caught my best walleye there last week, 9.9 lbs at 77cms.

what a beauty congrats.. that lake has some monsters!