PDA

View Full Version : Large mouth bass fishing in Alberta

Radiolad
07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
please don't hate me for asking...I'm new to the area and a very part time fisherman.

Is there any good spots near Cochrane for Largemouth bass?

thanks for your patience.

keep6matt
07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
please don't hate me for asking...I'm new to the area and a very part time fisherman.

Bahahahaha....sorry but had to.... but in a seriousness there is no bass to be found in Alberta let alone largemouth, there were rumors of a few smallies around, one lake by Smoky Lake did have them once upon a time, probably 15 years ago but no there is none, need to go to BC.

Radiolad
07-17-2013, 03:18 PM
OK...that's what I thought. I used to fish for large mouth in the Okanagan many years ago and was hoping it extended into Alberta.

Thanks for the reply and I don't blame you for laughing.:sign0161:

BeeGuy
07-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Try Glenbow Lake

might have to check a couple maps

east of town, south of the river

Wood1
07-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Our gov't at least thought it feasible. Wabamun, Pigeon and LaNonne all were stocked with largemouth in the 90's. without success.

bubba 96
07-17-2013, 07:39 PM

B.c. East kootneays, between fernie and cranbrook, the are probably half dozen lakes, tie, jimsmith, surveyors, , creston area duck lake....

Pikebreath
07-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Our gov't at least thought it feasible. Wabamun, Pigeon and LaNonne all were stocked with largemouth in the 90's. without success.

Yes, Lmb bass have been introduced into those lakes, and also Minnewanka, Sylvan, Gull, Pine, Cooking and Buffalo,,, but we are talking a lot earlier than the 90's. According to Martin and Paetz in their book Fishes of Alberta these stockings were done way back in 1908, 1924 and several years later (exact dates unknown).

In 1977-79 , 1981 and 1984, Smallmouth were panted in Island lake, and some were caught,,,, but it is doubtful that any self sustaining populations still exist in that lake today.

Do you have information about some 1990 introductions that I am unaware of?

curtis_rak
07-18-2013, 08:20 AM
If you are in Cochrane, Lake Windermere is only a couple hrs away.... good bass fishing there.

Wood1
07-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Yes, Lmb bass have been introduced into those lakes, and also Minnewanka, Sylvan, Gull, Pine, Cooking and Buffalo,,, but we are talking a lot earlier than the 90's. According to Martin and Paetz in their book Fishes of Alberta these stockings were done way back in 1908, 1924 and several years later (exact dates unknown).

In 1977-79 , 1981 and 1984, Smallmouth were panted in Island lake, and some were caught,,,, but it is doubtful that any self sustaining populations still exist in that lake today.

Do you have information about some 1990 introductions that I am unaware of?

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/337843.pdf

Pierre
07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.abll.ca/tables/Fish/Fish_Stocking

No mention of any in the 1990's but the last stocking of Bass in this report is 20,000 in 1984 which coincides with the following:

http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/SpeciesAtRisk/StatusOfAlbertaFish/Default.aspx

'Smallmouth bass were stocked into Island Lake (near Smoky Lake) between 1977 and 1984. Until 1989 there was some evidence of natural reproduction. It is not known whether this population is self-sustaining at the present time. However it is presumed there are a few fish left. As this is a non-native species, no special monitoring is planned'.

copied from the link above

bark284
07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
So if they stocked a few lakes then why are they non existent no more??? Why couldn't alberta lakes support them??

winger7mm
07-18-2013, 04:52 PM
So if they stocked a few lakes then why are they non existent no more??? Why couldn't alberta lakes support them??

Im wondering the same, the only thing I can think of is the length of the winters and low water temps....... And I say that in my professional expertise in fish biology :thinking-006::bad_boys_20:

fish gunner
07-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Im wondering the same, the only thing I can think of is the length of the winters and low water temps....... And I say that in my professional expertise in fish biology :thinking-006::bad_boys_20:

Low O2 levels over too long a period of time in waters that achieve temps high enough for spawning . Combined with low temp docility with cold water predation.