PDA

View Full Version : Using Non-Drawn Archery Tag during General Season? Question - New Bowhunter

bergman
07-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Hey guys, I'll get to the point.

Can you continue to use an Archery-season Tag (not drawn) into the general-season? - (still bowhunting, of course) - Or is it only good for the archery-season?

Paticularly in 408 - Archery-Season is only 2 weeks long (Sept 8-Sept 23)! After that the general season has a whitetail draw for both antlered and anterless.

And elsewhere, can you keep bow hunting Muley's under authority of a non-draw archery season license during the general season?

I can't find anything about it in the reg's. I know you can go the other way - using a general-season drawn tag in archery-season for the same WMU, but does my bow season end Sept 23 unless I have drawn a tag for general season?

So are the tags based on "how" you hunt, or "when" you hunt? Or both, or neither?

Lefty-Canuck
07-18-2013, 08:37 AM
There are no archery season white tail deer tags.....there are resident white-tailed deer license and antlered white-tailed deer special license.

In 408 specifically....

If you did NOT get a draw.....

you can hunt under a resident white-tail deer license with a bow and arrow during the archery only SEASON only from Sept 8-23

After that during the general SEASON you must have successfully pulled a draw tag (notice the black square in the regs) runs from Sept 24-Nov 30.

So in short....if you have no draw for that zone you can only hunt using archery equipment and you only have from Sept 8-23....otherwise you need a draw.

It doesn't matter that you want to hunt the general season with a bow YOU CANNOT WITHOUT A DRAW, NO MATTER WHAT WEAPON YOU WANT TO USE.

LC

Remoth
07-18-2013, 08:43 AM
It doesn't matter that you want to hunt the general season with a bow YOU CANNOT WITHOUT A DRAW, NO MATTER WHAT WEAPON YOU WANT TO USE.

LC
even throwing knives? Lol

Lefty-Canuck
07-18-2013, 08:43 AM
IN addition....any general season that has a draw YOU CANNOT hunt that season if you do not have a draw, no matter what weapon you want to use.

Archery equipment does NOT give you a free pass around the draw system.

So in your mule deer scenario....if there is a nondraw archery season, you are good to go during the dates of that season, using archery equipment.

Once the general season starts that is under draw (if you do not have a draw) you can no longer hunt there, NO MATTER WHAT WEAPON YOU WANT TO USE.

I will repeat....ARCHERY EQUIPMENT DOES NOT GIVE YOU A FREE PASS INTO or AROUND THE DRAWS.

If it is a draw season you MUST hold a draw....

LC

Lefty-Canuck
07-18-2013, 08:44 AM
even throwing knives? Lol

If it is defined in the regs as a legal weapon for hunting with.....then go for it.

LC

Lefty-Canuck
07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Tags are based on the species and/or antlered or antlerless (young bucks may have no antlers or antlers that are too small to be considered antlers).

Seasons are based on what weapons you can use and what time/dates you can hunt.

LC

keep6matt
07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Lefty.....yer the best! lol

bergman
07-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks, Lefty
That's kind of what I expected. I guess there are no old timer archery secrets, eh? Or at least this isn't one of them!

Archery equipment is not a free pass around the draw system.

I'll be taking my general white-tail tag elsewhere after Sept 23.
Time to plan the hunt!

L.O.S.T.Arrow
07-18-2013, 09:21 AM
:D As lefty stated...just to be clear thou you can hunt anything that is open in rifle season general with a bow, I have taken many whitetails in November with the bow during rifle season...

Neil