PDA

View Full Version : drumheller goldeye

Gslice
07-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get in some goldeye action this weekend along highway 10 south of drumheller. Anyone been there recently? How goes the fishing in the river after the flood? I'm really excited to catch my first of many goldeye. I have an ultralight tackle and I hear they are great fighters.

All advice is welcomed!!

happy fishing!

chriscosta
07-18-2013, 11:41 PM
dont know how the fishing there is but be easy on em they like to die on ya i get em on minnows and worms heard flies work well too if they are rising

Wild&Free
07-19-2013, 01:31 AM
dont know how the fishing there is but be easy on em they like to die on ya i get em on minnows and worms heard flies work well too if they are rising

I caught a pile of em in the Peace on my birthday a few weeks back, on minnows, under a bobber. The silly buggers would attack my bobber, til I jigged the minnow a little. Then it was on. They'd hit a fly for sure. Big one too.

WhitefishLady
07-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Flyfishing for them is a lot of fun too! I've had good luck with small streamers like wooly buggers.

Gslice
07-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Wild,

When you're using a slip bobber, what depth do you usually set it at? Do goldeye like to chill on the surface, mid or bottom?

I've heard using a slip bobber and grasshopper works well. I'm sure there are plenty of hoppers over there in drumheller. I could probably catch a few and give it a shot. Now it's just a matter of depth...:mad0030:

Wild&Free
07-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Well, I usually pick a spot to cast to and set my depth to be just off bottom with a jig head, a few inches higher if a j-hook and split shot. From there I watch it float about for a while, if I catch something I throw it back at that depth. If it hangs up on bottom while floating around in the current I'll adjust it to avoid that along it's path. If some time passes and I do not catch anything, then I pull it up a foot or so, throw it back out and watch it and enjoy the scenery. I repeat those steps until I hook up with something, or decide I'm fishing the wrong piece of water and ponder if different bait would be better.

Some good times with a bobber in the water.
http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u631/Wesley_Buie/IMAG0148_zps941ef968.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Wesley_Buie/media/IMAG0148_zps941ef968.jpg.html)
My bobber is straight above his head. It never touched my line either.

Chief16
07-20-2013, 01:01 AM
They are really easy in the fly and will hit almost anything they see. Pulled them out of the nsr on wooly buggers, bow river buggers and leeches. I know you can catch them on dries like chenobyl ants as hoppers as well as nymphs.

fedfred
07-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Goldeye don't seem to know the difference from what's edible and what's not. They bite on anything, including empty shiny hooks. Have fun trying to keep them off the line when you get bored of catching them and want to catch something else.

Nait Hadya
07-20-2013, 09:17 AM
If your not flyfishing, I would suggest a small floating rapala. The river is still unfishable here in the city.

paulsbeenfishin
07-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get in some goldeye action this weekend along highway 10 south of drumheller. Anyone been there recently? How goes the fishing in the river after the flood? I'm really excited to catch my first of many goldeye. I have an ultralight tackle and I hear they are great fighters.

All advice is welcomed!!

happy fishing!

Was out close to Red Deer last night . Caught quite a few just before dark on small spinners. They were biting really good. So were the mosquitos

Gslice
07-23-2013, 12:35 PM
My report:

Was out 07/20 and 07/21 by drumheller. Water still very murky. Visibility can't be more than half an inch. I literally didn't know what fish I got until i pulled it out of the water. On Saturday, I caught 3 goldeye, 1 mooneye, 3 suckers and about 80 flathead chubs. Biggest goldeye was 36cm, 0.66lbs. I used a bottom rig with worms, and can't seem to get the chubs off my line. Maybe bobber with worm will work better?? (will try next week). Had a lot of misses as I could feel the bites but was difficult to determine whether there was a fish on.

Not sure if visibility of water makes a big difference in goldeye seeing the bait, but definitely did not get as much goldeye as some people in the forum claimed :thinking-006:

Sunday I got no goldeye bites at all. It almost seemed like they left the area. Nobody around me got any goldeye either. The whole day sunday was spent feeding worms to chubs :(

What kind of baits do goldeye like? People fishing over there had told me only worms work. Forums tell me minnows also work. However, even the big goldeye I caught seemed to have a very small/narrow mouth, maybe too small to be able to swallow an entire minnow?

I just started fishing this year. Flyfishing seems intimidating and too complicated for me right now lol. Maybe next year...

Anyone else been out to drumheller in the past couple days?

WayneChristie
07-23-2013, 07:47 PM
if you ice fish for pike Id hang onto the chubs, they are pike candy! goldeye and mooneye see well in murky water, they do move around in schools so if there are none biting just looks somewhere else til you find them. the flood didnt seem to hurt them in the lower Bow and Oldman, or the SSR. been stealing my worms for a couple weeks now. small mouth or not Ive caught some on some pretty big sturgeon hooks. just use a piece of worm maybe an inch or so, or you are just donating them to the fish

Gust
07-23-2013, 08:27 PM
What kind of baits do goldeye like?

Sucker belly skin or chub belly skin.

WayneChristie
07-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Sucker belly skin or chub belly skin.

definitely. they strip the meat off it like pirahnas :scared0018:

Gust
07-23-2013, 08:31 PM
definitely. they strip the meat off it like pirahnas :scared0018:

seriously.:scared0018::scared0018::scared0018::sca red0018::scared0018::scared0018: