PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Spray Lakes on Sunday; any advice?

Crackmacs
07-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi!

I've ice fished Spray, it was windy and bad and miserable. Have never fished it without ice. I've read that the roads are open, so a buddy and I are going to head out there early Sunday. We're not really going for dinner, just to have a good day out (weather forbid) fishing. Also we do not have a boat. Everything in life is better in a boat.

We don't really have any idea where the decent/fishable spots are from shore, so we're just going to wing it. If anyone can recommend a good place to check, please do :)

Also, I suck at catching trout. Can anyone recommend what I should be using? Going to try a pickerel rig with worms (I've never used one, would like to try, even though it's not for walleye).

Spoons? Grubs? Trout nibbles?

Oh oh! One more question. Last one, promise. Any recommendations on cooking them? If we do decide to keep something.

Thanks so much for any advice! I hope the flooding hasn't ruined the shores.

bowness
07-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Probably have better luck in a smaller stocked lake as Spray is much more easily fished with a boat.

Other members are big spray fishers, not me but I have experienced the winter wind up there!

Also conditions have changed since the flood and some facilities were damaged. Do a search on the forum and you should get more info.

FishermanFrank1976
07-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Was just at Spray on Sunday and the fishing was amazing:) Me and the girlfriend had our limit in just over an hour and caught 20+lakers in just a few hours. All trolling rapalas on the downriggers set at 30' in 35fow. Best fishing on that lake in years:) A boat is a must as I talked to a few people fishing from shore and they didn't have a bite all day..

FishermanFrank1976
07-25-2013, 08:15 PM
If fishing from shore go to the end of the west campground and walk in to the fairly steep rocky hill to the east where it looks like the lake is very deep and cast 50-60' out using smelts and you should be able to pick up a few. The water there is 40-50'deep. Good Luck I will be there as well so if you see a red crestliner boat go by wave me over and i'll give you guys some good tips as I have fished that lake all my life:)