PDA

View Full Version : Need some rod advice

Geezle
07-20-2013, 04:12 PM
I have a lonely reel that's in need of a rod, but once again I'm not quite sure what to get.

I'm looking for a rod that'll be used mainly for small pike (< 5-6lbs) and occasionally walleye, mostly tossing cranks and occasionally pitching jigs.

I'm thinking something in the medium to medium-light power and fast action range, around 7'. I saw a couple Shimano rods that would fit the bill, but they are 'technique specific' rods for worms and jigging or some rubbish. What's up with the technique specific stuff anyway?

So if it were you, what rods would you be looking at? Gotta be 2 piece, and a casting rod. We'll say budget is $100ish, but there's a little wiggle room if it's something I really want :)

evileddie713
07-20-2013, 04:31 PM
I picked up a compre a couple weeks ago. Awsome fast rod. Good backbone for the hook sets. $120 rod but its worth it. Its a medium heavey 6'8" rod but was catching small jack at mayatan with it one day just casting small cranks and the next weekend was trolling big rapalas at wab.

Geezle
07-20-2013, 04:41 PM
I picked up a compre a couple weeks ago. Awsome fast rod. Good backbone for the hook sets. $120 rod but its worth it. Its a medium heavey 6'8" rod but was catching small jack at mayatan with it one day just casting small cranks and the next weekend was trolling big rapalas at wab.

I actually have that same rod all rigged up for Wab already, and really enjoy it! :lol:

I'm looking for something a little lighter to replace my old 6'6" Shimano Sojourn for the smaller stuff though. There's nothing actually wrong with the sojourn but I'd kinda like something a little longer and more sensitive :)

That being said a lighter Compre wouldn't be out of the question, but the only one I saw was the worm & jig one :o

crosbyfan123
07-20-2013, 04:43 PM
One word Gloomis

Wesr
07-20-2013, 04:47 PM
i picked up an ultralite last year and haven't looked back... i chose a st croix avid series.. bit more than youre looking to spend but fenwick makes a nice little rod i woudl suggest a 6' light. i want to pick one up just to close that gap between my rods a bit.
ive been converted to as ultra light. it turns even the little guys into a fun fight.

i think a decent fenwick is in the $60-80 range

good luck

lighter is always getter in my opinion

jeprli
07-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Shimano clarus 8'6(salmon/steelhead) up to 1oz, awesome rod for what you want to do. Had mine for about 10 years, bought a bunch of different rods since then, but its still my favorite. Guide wraps are a bit cracked now but other than that its still in perfect condition. It's fast enough to feel your jig properly and has enough give for even the smallest crankbaits.
Casts a mile as well and very precisely.

Geezle
07-20-2013, 05:37 PM
i picked up an ultralite last year and haven't looked back... i chose a st croix avid series.. bit more than youre looking to spend but fenwick makes a nice little rod i woudl suggest a 6' light. i want to pick one up just to close that gap between my rods a bit.
ive been converted to as ultra light. it turns even the little guys into a fun fight.

i think a decent fenwick is in the $60-80 range

good luck

lighter is always getter in my opinion

Shimano clarus 8'6(salmon/steelhead) up to 1oz, awesome rod for what you want to do. Had mine for about 10 years, bought a bunch of different rods since then, but its still my favorite. Guide wraps are a bit cracked now but other than that its still in perfect condition. It's fast enough to feel your jig properly and has enough give for even the smallest crankbaits.
Casts a mile as well and very precisely.

Interesting to see the different opinions...Wesr suggests shorter and lighter, and jeprli suggests longer and heavier.

Reasons?

I actually have an 8'6" salmon/steelhead Clarus, but I've really only ever used it for bait fishing from shore on the NSR. It seems like a lot more rod than I need for chucking cranks from my little tinner?

FishHunterPro
07-20-2013, 05:39 PM
I like my st croix eyecon , ml 6'6" 2 piece. It's about that price. I bought the jig n rig and it seems to be good for casting , trolling and jig n rigging lol. Paired it with a shimano sustain 2500fg. They just came out with a casting model in this series this year so have a look at them.

EZM
07-20-2013, 06:16 PM
St.Croix Premier Spinning Rod ($130)

7ft medium light - fast action

Comes in one piece or two piece.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/premier-spinning

Best rod I own - I use it for exactly the application you are describing (Walleye and average Pike).

huntsfurfish
07-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Just cuz it says jigging rod doesn't mean you cant use it for something else.:)

Just means its best for that type of fishing. You know like a downrigger rod is best for downrigging:evilgrin:;)

jeprli
07-20-2013, 08:20 PM
From a boat it might be a bit long, for shore fishing just perfect. I don't find it to be heavy, i'm about 6 ft 180lb and it doesn't bother me casting all day long. But we all have preferences, and this is what i like to carry around.

If you don't mind me asking how old is your clarus? if you're interested in a trade or sale...

Geezle
07-20-2013, 08:24 PM
From a boat it might be a bit long, for shore fishing just perfect. I don't find it to be heavy, i'm about 6 ft 180lb and it doesn't bother me casting all day long. But we all have preferences, and this is what i like to carry around.

If you don't mind me asking how old is your clarus? if you're interested in a trade or sale...

When I say heavy I'm referring to the rod's power, not its physical weight :)

My clarus is about 3 years old...and there's no chance I'll trade or sell it! That being said, TFH South has a couple discontinued 8'6" Clarus salmon/steelhead rods still in stock.

EZM
07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Just cuz it says jigging rod doesn't mean you cant use it for something else.:)

Just means its best for that type of fishing. You know like a downrigger rod is best for downrigging:evilgrin:;)

That's true - I use my 8'-6" St.Croix wild river rod in lakes all the time ...... lol:sHa_shakeshout:

jeprli
07-20-2013, 08:40 PM
I think its medium heavy power but i could be wrong, thanks for the heads up, ill check tfh in calgary and see if they have one. I got a spinning rod, but would like a baitcaster of same specification. It is a bit of a broom stick in the bottom end, but the right fish will get a good bend in it without a problem.

RavYak
07-20-2013, 09:49 PM
The rod I have my eye on is St. Croix's AVC70MHM, it is from their Avid series and is 7' one piece medium heavy power moderate action and only 4.1 ounces. Lure weight rating is 3/8 - 1 ounce. They call it a crankbait rod which are almost always moderate action. I haven't tried one yet but my mind is pretty much made up that my next rod is going to be a moderate action because I find fast action casting rods are too stiff(spinning rods don't seem to be near as stiff for some reason). I prefer trolling so that is part of the reason I would like moderate action but I also think it will help with loading up the rod while casting(hard to load a MH fast action rod with a 1/2 oz lure) and will make fighting fish easier. I have done some research on this rod and anyone that has one seems to be very happy with it.

They also have a medium power rod but is only rated 1/4-5/8 oz but the majority of the lures I use for smaller Pike/Walleye are in the 1/2 to 1 oz range.

EZM
07-20-2013, 10:24 PM
For normal circumstances, like Geezle mentioned (walleye and some average pike) a medium light is fine and a medium is plenty.

Medium heavy is overkill for this application I think. He has heavier gear for fighting pike and trolling big hardware.

Geezle
07-20-2013, 10:49 PM
For normal circumstances, like Geezle mentioned (walleye and some average pike) a medium light is fine and a medium is plenty.

Medium heavy is overkill for this application I think. He has heavier gear for fighting pike and trolling big hardware.

You're right, I've got the heavy gear more than covered already...now I'm looking for a ML to M rod for some of the smaller stuff that's too big to realistically go after with the UL.

saskyangler
07-21-2013, 07:58 AM
I have 4 ugly stiks in various models for casting, trolling, jigging and love them all. Great price, great action, great durability.

NSRfishing
07-21-2013, 09:32 AM
http://templeforkoutfitters.ca/conventional-rods/17-gary-loomis-spinning-a-casting

i like my 7 ft medium light tfo rod moderate action good sensitive

Pikebreath
07-21-2013, 10:02 AM
http://templeforkoutfitters.ca/conventional-rods/17-gary-loomis-spinning-a-casting

i like my 7 ft medium light tfo rod moderate action good sensitive

I have this rod as well and it is sweet. The whole Gary Loomis TFO series of spin and gear rods are worth looking into.

Graffy91
07-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I have a lonely reel that's in need of a rod, but once again I'm not quite sure what to get.

I'm looking for a rod that'll be used mainly for small pike (< 5-6lbs) and occasionally walleye, mostly tossing cranks and occasionally pitching jigs.

I'm thinking something in the medium to medium-light power and fast action range, around 7'. I saw a couple Shimano rods that would fit the bill, but they are 'technique specific' rods for worms and jigging or some rubbish. What's up with the technique specific stuff anyway?

So if it were you, what rods would you be looking at? Gotta be 2 piece, and a casting rod. We'll say budget is $100ish, but there's a little wiggle room if it's something I really want :)

Hey Jay,

This is what I am currently using and I am absolutely in love with it.

I first tried a fenwick ice fishing this year the EliteTech, I couldn't believe the quality for the price.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php?k=309807&sk=309807&p=PUREGTS%2056MH-2%20%281202098%29

Thats what I use, whether its bottom bouncing, jigging, tossing cranks @ Wab or using it in the river it is definitely the most versatile rod I've ever bought. At the $64.99 with a 5 year warranty you cannot go wrong.

justinO
07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Worm and jig rod will work for what you want to do. Obviously go with Shimano :) I love the compre's best rods for the price imo. I have a few compre's my favorite is my 6' medium, extra fast so sensitive and will handle any walleye here and I have landed big pike on it just have your drag set correctly and you are good to go.

pikergolf
07-21-2013, 06:46 PM
First and most important question, what kind of line?

Geezle
07-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Worm and jig rod will work for what you want to do. Obviously go with Shimano :) I love the compre's best rods for the price imo. I have a few compre's my favorite is my 6' medium, extra fast so sensitive and will handle any walleye here and I have landed big pike on it just have your drag set correctly and you are good to go.

Well now that you mention it, I do have a preference towards Shimano gear :) The orphaned reel that needs a rod is a shimano Caenan that got booted off my MH Compre when I got my Curado.

That being said, the Compre, Clarus and maaaaaaybe the Convergence are options...it'll likely end up coming down to what I find in stock first in the right power/action/length at this point! :lol:
-
Hey Jay,

This is what I am currently using and I am absolutely in love with it.

I first tried a fenwick ice fishing this year the EliteTech, I couldn't believe the quality for the price.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php?k=309807&sk=309807&p=PUREGTS%2056MH-2%20%281202098%29

Thats what I use, whether its bottom bouncing, jigging, tossing cranks @ Wab or using it in the river it is definitely the most versatile rod I've ever bought. At the $64.99 with a 5 year warranty you cannot go wrong.

Unfortunately the only casting model of that rod is 6'6" MH...and lifetime warranty trumps 5 year ;)
First and most important question, what kind of line?

Why is that most important?

It'll likely get 20 lb PowerPro.

Geezle
07-21-2013, 09:51 PM
I was just looking on the Shimano website and I see that both the Compre ans Clarus are available in a 7' medium/medium fast crank bait rod...I'm sure I could get TFH to bring one in for me...:thinking-006:

pikergolf
07-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Well now that you mention it, I do have a preference towards Shimano gear :) The orphaned reel that needs a rod is a shimano Caenan that got booted off my MH Compre when I got my Curado.

That being said, the Compre, Clarus and maaaaaaybe the Convergence are options...it'll likely end up coming down to what I find in stock first in the right power/action/length at this point! :lol:
-

Unfortunately the only casting model of that rod is 6'6" MH...and lifetime warranty trumps 5 year ;)

Why is that most important?

It'll likely get 20 lb PowerPro.

Braided makes your rod a feel whole lot more sensitive. If your rod is too stiff and fast for braid it will cost you fish. I would go to the softer slower side of what you are considering for braid, if you were going to use a mono which has a lot of stretch, I would go with the stiffer rods you are considering.

Geezle
07-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Braided makes your rod a feel whole lot more sensitive. If your rod is too stiff and fast for braid it will cost you fish. I would go to the softer slower side of what you are considering for braid, if you were going to use a mono which has a lot of stretch, I would go with the stiffer rods you are considering.

I wholeheartedly disagree. If that were the case then from what you're describing I'd be losing a lot of fish on the main rods that I use, which are both MH/XFast.

Ever try chucking hardware with a baitcast rod with a soft tip? When that tip snaps back after the cast it can cause your reel to do bad things to your line :o

Mikezilk
07-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Pick up a Fenwick HMX. right around 90 and great for pike.. I was hauling in hammer handles all the way up to 32" on it on Wab one day and loved it.

Fishin Hole has em.

Walleyedude
07-22-2013, 09:51 AM
I was just looking on the Shimano website and I see that both the Compre ans Clarus are available in a 7' medium/medium fast crank bait rod...I'm sure I could get TFH to bring one in for me...:thinking-006:

You have your answer. Great rod for what you've described.

If you're willing to wait a bit, I'm sure they can have one included in their next shipment of rods at no cost to you.

mikebossy
07-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Ron Popeil's Pocket Fisherman! I just saw the infomercial on youtube, and i'm pretty sure it has all the qualities your looking for, especially storage in the tinner, takes up little to no room. Heard Shimano is helping with development of an RPPF #2 with all the features of the original but with an additional 2 inches of length (check with JustinO, he's got serious insider Shimano cred'). Now that 2 inches doesn't sound like alot, but ask a lady like Fishergrrl and she'll tell u right out, 2 extra inches often makes all the difference, changing what felt like an ordinary ohhh cast to an ahhhhhhh:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: cast!

justinO
07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=Geezle;2048507]Well now that you mention it, I do have a preference towards Shimano gear :) The orphaned reel that needs a rod is a shimano Caenan that got booted off my MH Compre when I got my Curado.

That being said, the Compre, Clarus and maaaaaaybe the Convergence are options...it'll likely end up coming down to what I find in stock first in the right power/action/length at this point!

I thought you were looking for a spinning rod sorry. In a casting you'll need to go 6'6 I believe maybe 6'8. Will you be mainly jigging with this set up? I personally like shorter rods for this application but depends on your boat. If you have obstacles to move around longer rods are nice when bringing fish up that extra length can save you at times. Like I said before I love the compre's mine get used just as much as my cumara's and with the same confidence they are great rods.

justinO
07-22-2013, 12:46 PM
This is what I would suggest CPCX68MC or the same rod comes in a fast action cpc68mc. Call around see if they have them and you can compare the two.
Good luck buddy let us know what you get.

fishnfoo
07-22-2013, 07:56 PM
If you want something different, try a Rapala Team Walleye crankin rod. I have one and really like it.

Geezle
07-23-2013, 08:22 AM
If you want something different, try a Rapala Team Walleye crankin rod. I have one and really like it.

Honestly, I've had some bad luck in the recent past with a couple Rapala rods I already own, and it's been enough to get me to shy away from them :o

This is what I would suggest CPCX68MC or the same rod comes in a fast action cpc68mc. Call around see if they have them and you can compare the two.
Good luck buddy let us know what you get.

Well yesterday work had me all over the city, and I had a chance to pop in to TFH, Cabelas, and WSS North, and everybody had pretty much the same selection. I also checked with TFH about brining in a crankbait rod for me, but it appears that it would be a special order and I didn't have time when I ran in there to sort it all out. At this rate I may just end up going with the 6'6" Worm & Jig Compre and call it done :o

RavYak
07-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Well yesterday work had me all over the city, and I had a chance to pop in to TFH, Cabelas, and WSS North, and everybody had pretty much the same selection. I also checked with TFH about brining in a crankbait rod for me, but it appears that it would be a special order and I didn't have time when I ran in there to sort it all out. At this rate I may just end up going with the 6'6" Worm & Jig Compre and call it done :o

It is nearly impossible to find a crankbait rod or any thing less then fast action in Edmonton. Everyone stocks M and MH rods with F action and almost nothing more...

Too bad TFH charges $25 to special order(what they quoted me anyways). I am just waiting to hopefully find a couple of these rods I am looking for for on sale so I can get them shipped up reasonably.

Bass pro is one of the better shops to keep an eye on from what I have seen as they have a larger inventory on their website(being US based and not having a different website/selection for Canadian stores) and they have the free/cheap shipping offers quite often. Still have to pay the extra $8 or whatever it is if it is a 1 piece rod though.

Geezle
07-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Well, I have an outing planned for tomorrow so I finally broke down and bought a rod.

It really seems like the baitcast rod selection at the stores I checked out has been really picked over, and there was a lot of stuff that wasn't in stock.

That being said, I ended up picking up a 7' ML Quantum Energy PT. It seemed like the only rod I could find in the length and action I wanted in a 2 piece casting rod. I've never used a Quantum rod before, so we'll see how it goes...I do have a bit of a bias against their low profile baitcast reels, but I suppose that's another topic.

If it turns out I'm not a fan of it I'll probably just break down and just get TFH to order me in the crankbait Compre :o

bark284
07-24-2013, 10:13 AM
I have a Shakespeare ugly stick ( my parents beat me with it lol) but its a great rod for pike and walleye good action to

mikebossy
07-27-2013, 03:22 PM
here you go

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/3961788895.html

Geezle
07-27-2013, 03:36 PM
here you go

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/3961788895.html

Maybe if it was local! :lol:

I actually think that Princess Auto had a bunch of those last year...I should have picked one up when I had the chance! :lol: