PDA

View Full Version : Ram Rivers?

finner
08-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Good morning. I am planning a trip out to the Ram Rivers in the next couple of days and was hoping to get some more info.

Which river would have the best access points ?

Is the Forestry Trunk road the road to come in on?

I have heard the South Ram is better fishing this time of year?

Thanks for any info that could be passed on.

Chironomid
08-17-2008, 11:07 PM
NRR was bad last time I was there. Have heard other things about the SRR. I'd go down to the Ram Falls and work my way downstream.

mikeym
08-18-2008, 11:10 AM
the north ram has better access points as the north fork rd travels beside the river for about 10km. lots of decent water in this section, but it sees lots of pressure and the fish are usually pretty wise to most presentations.
there is also a road that leaves the forestry rd at the old campground and heads up river. lots of decent water upstream to hit also. the road crosses the river a couple of times without any bridges so can be tricky to get across in a truck or car.
the South Ram below the falls is all walk and wade. above the falls the hummingbird creek rd follows the river for a couple of k before it turns and heads into the mountains. the Hummingbird can be a pretty good river with some decent fish in it if it is not fished out by the random campers along the banks by now. some real nice holes right beside the rd also.

actually the best way to access either the south or north is to head south of Rocky to hwy 752 (turnoff for Cow Lake) take this rd either to the Stratchen campgound and follw the north fork rd all the way to the north ram (crosses the Ram rive about 20k from turnoff and then turns west) where the rd finally meets the North Ram is good starting point. either up or down is real good, but again, lots of pressure so fishing can be pretty spotty.
to hit the south ram just keep going on 752 till it hits the Forestry Trunk rd and head north. i find this way is easier than going on Hwy 11 and south.

good luck and let us know how you did.

rgds
Mike