PDA

View Full Version : Every now and then

Don Andersen
07-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Folks,

Every now and then I stumble on something that tells it like it is.

The Colby report on Zone E is a great example of how our fisheries are suffering.

For the full report, see: http://srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/FisheriesManagement/documents/SustainabliityOfCommericalFisheriesZoneE-FinalAssesment-Oct-2012.pdf

The executive summary says it best and here is but a part of it:

In summary: In too many ways and for various reasons, these commercial fisheries have largely been unsustainable.

This is a decent read that should be part and parcel of how not to operate the fisheries in Alberta.

regards,

Don

steelhead
07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
That guy is great!!

40 years behind and teaching new employees from textbooks from the 50's this Gov. agency is.

They had to hire an outside DR. to figure that out? I wonder how much that cost? Probably more than the yearly wages of at least 4 of the bios that work for alberta, that came up with the same conclusions, but nothing was acted on.

Great find and read. Thanks for sharing.

STEELHEAD

Magspec
07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
by the looks of it most of these lakes are close to La Crete i know that mennonite community is a devastation on fishery i have seen multiple times when i was younger them canning right at mackenzie ice crossing you used to be able to keep lotsa pike but now are only allowed 1 daily and 2 possession i think. And there are signs posted from the native communities up there that they will be watching and reporting to the CO's, and over by buffalo river they come and ask you where your from (they dont like mennonites). They wrecked there own lake close to la crete as well Wadlin i think the fish are finally coming back i think. I bet the fishery is going to get even worse with hiway 88 almost completed there will be lotsa campers traveling that road south to those lakes once its completed. Just my opinion on the matter.