PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Lures

ThisGuyCatchesFish15
07-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Anybody here make them, I do. Working on a 5 1/2 inch gliding/jerk bait right now, any tips possibly paint job, hook size,etc.?

jungleboy
07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Anybody here make them, I do. Working on a 5 1/2 inch gliding/jerk bait right now, any tips possibly paint job, hook size,etc.?

I've made a few , Had some success with some more than others . Mine are all top water or sub surface.I just hand panted with brush on some and tried a few with the airbrush.I have used just spray on clear coat on a couple but epoxy is best .Epoxy takes a lot longer to do though.

wapiti11
07-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I make my own jigs. Pour the lead into moulds, paint the heads, and tie on buck tail from Whitetail I have harvested. To get different colors of buck tail I have dyed some. Have done some coho jigs with marabou.
Wapiti11

pikergolf
07-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Your glide, twitch bait has to much material on the bottom, it will ride on it's side at best. Most glide twitch baits are cylinder shaped with the hook having enough weight to keep itself on the bottom. A lot can be learned by studying commercial baits. I found on treble in the middle hung on two split rings worked well, extra hooks is just more danger for you as well as the fish. Hard wood stands up to abuse better and does not require as much ballast weight either.

Making baits can be a very satisfying endeavour.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=181867&highlight=home+made+lures

pikester
07-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Yup, the lure on my avatar is a home made crank! If you can look through my profile page photo album I have a few pics of other wooden cranks & gliders. I dont have a garage anymore (moved to garage-less house few years ago :( ) so I haven't built any for several years but had a lot of fun, as well as many frustrations, building.

Painting can be done with some decent results with spray bombs but most lure makers evolve into airbrushing with water based paints which can yield incredible results but is tedious, semi-expensive to get started with, & very difficult to get good at! There are many types of materials you can use such as plastic or cardboard stencils, fabric tulle which makes great scale patterns, metallic tape can be used as a base then painted over to create very shiny, reflective finishes, etc.

Hooks are generally sized based on how they look in proportion to the body size. Too small of a hook will lead to difficult hook setting, hooks too big will cause severe hook rash to the lure finish or throw the wieghting & balance out of kilter. Size #1 - #2/0 trebles are typically plenty big enough for 3.5"- 7" cranks & gliders but it will take some trial & error.

Internal weighting is the most difficult- and important- aspect of lure building. A great lure design can end up resembling a rock or 2x4 if the lure is overwieghted or balanced wrong.

This is kind of like handing a person a pamphlet to teach them how to land a jet but it's the best I can do for now lol. Good luck & I will do my best to help if you have any other questions.:sign0111:

Link to an awesome lure builing forum with some incredibly talented lure builders; http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/forum/13-hard-baits/

waterninja
07-23-2013, 01:59 AM
i fish with with fish15 and i never never seen such a young angler (he's only 13) so serious about fishing. i predict great things for him on the water in the future.

ThisGuyCatchesFish15
07-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Your glide, twitch bait has to much material on the bottom, it will ride on it's side at best. Most glide twitch baits are cylinder shaped with the hook having enough weight to keep itself on the bottom. A lot can be learned by studying commercial baits. I found on treble in the middle hung on two split rings worked well, extra hooks is just more danger for you as well as the fish. Hard wood stands up to abuse better and does not require as much ballast weight either.

Making baits can be a very satisfying endeavour.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=181867&highlight=home+made+lures
I've been watching tutorials and they alway showed drilling 2 holes close to the front area and rear area of the lures belly then putting your weights in and just taking of bit by bit to adjust it.

ThisGuyCatchesFish15
07-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Yup, the lure on my avatar is a home made crank! If you can look through my profile page photo album I have a few pics of other wooden cranks & gliders. I dont have a garage anymore (moved to garage-less house few years ago :( ) so I haven't built any for several years but had a lot of fun, as well as many frustrations, building.

Painting can be done with some decent results with spray bombs but most lure makers evolve into airbrushing with water based paints which can yield incredible results but is tedious, semi-expensive to get started with, & very difficult to get good at! There are many types of materials you can use such as plastic or cardboard stencils, fabric tulle which makes great scale patterns, metallic tape can be used as a base then painted over to create very shiny, reflective finishes, etc.

Hooks are generally sized based on how they look in proportion to the body size. Too small of a hook will lead to difficult hook setting, hooks too big will cause severe hook rash to the lure finish or throw the wieghting & balance out of kilter. Size #1 - #2/0 trebles are typically plenty big enough for 3.5"- 7" cranks & gliders but it will take some trial & error.

Internal weighting is the most difficult- and important- aspect of lure building. A great lure design can end up resembling a rock or 2x4 if the lure is overwieghted or balanced wrong.

This is kind of like handing a person a pamphlet to teach them how to land a jet but it's the best I can do for now lol. Good luck & I will do my best to help if you have any other questions.:sign0111:

Link to an awesome lure builing forum with some incredibly talented lure builders; http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/forum/13-hard-baits/
Thanks!