PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a sonar!

catchandeat
07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Alrightey so I'm looking to buy a sonar for my newly purchased 14' tinner. I've done some research but i'm still pretty much clueless when it comes to fish finders and all there wonderful features... haha

So basically my budget is around 500-700 dollars. What are your guys opinions on what are the best fish finders in this price range? and what particular options do they have?

I've been looking at the humminbird 5 and 7 series. What are some of the main differences?

And also i'd like to purchase a unit that could double as a flasher for icefishing if possible..

Your input is appreciated!

thanks.

huntsfurfish
07-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Lowrance HDS-5. Networkable if you choose to get another sonar. Can add side imaging at another time if you choose. Excellent unit for $650.00 at BP.
No question, best unit out there for the price range you are looking at. Has internal GPS and a slot for a Navionics card(Cost extra or add later).

If you get a bigger boat down the road and need/want another finder another HDS and a cable will have you able to network the 2 of them.

Have mine setup for ice fishing as well. Need a carrier(available at Cabelas online) a small 12 volt battery, a power cable and you can get an ice transducer also. Or you cam purchase a "kit".

:)

catchandeat
07-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Lowrance HDS-5. Networkable if you choose to get another sonar. Can add side imaging at another time if you choose. Excellent unit for $650.00 at BP.
No question, best unit out there for the price range you are looking at. Has internal GPS and a slot for a Navionics card(Cost extra or add later).

If you get a bigger boat down the road and need/want another finder another HDS and a cable will have you able to network the 2 of them.

Have mine setup for ice fishing as well. Need a carrier(available at Cabelas online) a small 12 volt battery, a power cable and you can get an ice transducer also. Or you cam purchase a "kit".

:)

awesome, I will look into it :)
Thanks for you opinion!
keep em comin' folks, i'm still doing lots of research!

EZM
07-22-2013, 11:01 PM
The difference between the 5 and 7 series is that the 7 series units are ethernet capable - meaning they can be networked to share waypoints, transducers, antennas and other data and features.

Can't go wrong with either a Lowrance HDS 5 or a Humminbird unit 5 series.

Humminbirds are easier to use and interpret and have added features included (extra card slots, down imaging, side imaging etc...) on selected units for a little less money and a whole lot less wires and modules to worry about buying, installing and fixing.

........... at this price point - I'd suggest the bird.

catchandeat
07-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Two different opinions! I've got some studying to do :sign0176:
So just to clarify, the humminbirds 5 and 7 series have side imaging, but the HDS-5 doesn't? How much would it cost to add to it? And would you also be able to use the humminbird as a flasher?

So from the bit that i've read... the 598 HD SI model has better screen clarity then the HDS-5 as well, correct? That plays a part in my decision too...

Please excuse my ignorance! haha

Your help plays a big part into my end decision. :sHa_shakeshout:

The Fisherman Guy
07-22-2013, 11:44 PM
HDS 5 is a great choice, EZM is correct - the Humminbird interface is much more user friendly. However, with time, the HDS 5 interface is easily navigable.

Another plus for Lowrance; you can also purchase an ice kit that your HDS 5 display plugs into, and bingo - you have a flasher/sonar/GPS chart plotter for the hard water season as well.

I've owned both, Humminbird and Lowrance; I prefer the utility of the Lowrance.

huntsfurfish
07-23-2013, 07:32 AM
If you want to add another finder or upgrade to a larger boat - get the HDS5.

If you don't then go with the 598.

Im pretty sure you will be happy with either one.:)

JimmerAB
07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Here's another possible option to check out. I recently bought a Lowrance Elite-7 HDI from Cabelas for $650.00. When I was back there a couple weeks later the price was $750.00 so not sure if I lucked out on a sale price or not. It is a widescreen unit that has broadband sonar/down imaging sonar/GPS chart plotter all built in. You can change the pages to see any combination of these three views, as well as a flasher screen. There is a microSD slot that can be used to save waypoints etc or to add a mapping chip. I bought the Navionics HotMaps for mine. I believe it can only network to another Elite unit, so that may be a concern. Just started using it a couple weeks ago, and so far I am very impressed.

Jim

crosbyfan123
07-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Get the lowrance hds 7-hdi best sonar you can get for your price range make sure you get the 750$ one it comes with a special transducer.

crosbyfan123
07-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Here's another possible option to check out. I recently bought a Lowrance Elite-7 HDI from Cabelas for $650.00. When I was back there a couple weeks later the price was $750.00 so not sure if I lucked out on a sale price or not. It is a widescreen unit that has broadband sonar/down imaging sonar/GPS chart plotter all built in. You can change the pages to see any combination of these three views, as well as a flasher screen. There is a microSD slot that can be used to save waypoints etc or to add a mapping chip. I bought the Navionics HotMaps for mine. I believe it can only network to another Elite unit, so that may be a concern. Just started using it a couple weeks ago, and so far I am very impressed.

Jim

I think you got the one below the 750 by the sounds of it or I could be wrong and Cabelas screwed up on the price.

catchandeat
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
so far i'm leaning towards the humminbird. While I don't necessarily need the side imaging, I think it would be a nice option to have to find additional structure....

What are the differences between the HDS-5 and the HDS-7? And also, who's down imaging do you like better, bird or lowrance? Why?

I've pretty much narrowed it down between the Humminbird® 598ci HD SI Sonar/ Internal GPS/Chartplotter Combo or the HDS-5 or the HDS-7. Unless anybody else has any good recommendations in my price range...

Thanks for helping a noob! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

iliketrout
07-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Jim

I just picked the elite 7 HDI up today. Looking forward to trying it out!

so far i'm leaning towards the humminbird. While I don't necessarily need the side imaging, I think it would be a nice option to have to find additional structure....

What are the differences between the HDS-5 and the HDS-7? And also, who's down imaging do you like better, bird or lowrance? Why?

I've pretty much narrowed it down between the Humminbird® 598ci HD SI Sonar/ Internal GPS/Chartplotter Combo or the HDS-5 or the HDS-7. Unless anybody else has any good recommendations in my price range...

Thanks for helping a noob! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Just a heads up as it sounds like you are using the terms interchangeably. There is a difference between side imaging and down imaging. Lowarance DownScan imaging will basically paint a different, structured picture of what the traditional sonar return will show you to differentiate better between fish and structure. LSS (Lowrance Structure Scan) is what scans out to the side. Inherently, you get a type of down imaging return with the structure scan side imaging, but you do not get side imaging with down imaging.

Unless you get the HDS Gen2 Touch, you will not get downscan imaging in an HDS. You will in an Elite, but you lose the networking capability.

I have a HDS 5 Gen 1 and have it rigged up for ice fishing and it is an awesome ice fishing rig. However I don't use the networking features and I wanted a bigger screen for the boat. I simply wanted a good standalone so I opted for the Elite 7 HDI (HDI is the Hybrid Dual Imaging that gets you DownScan). I can still connect to my motor for motor parameter readout as well.

Before you buy anything, I would recommend you read: http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/US/Elite-7-FAQ.pdf

Hope this helps and does not confuse you further.

EZM
07-23-2013, 05:00 PM
I just picked the elite 7 HDI up today. Looking forward to trying it out!

Just a heads up as it sounds like you are using the terms interchangeably. There is a difference between side imaging and down imaging. Lowarance DownScan imaging will basically paint a different, structured picture of what the traditional sonar return will show you to differentiate better between fish and structure. LSS (Lowrance Structure Scan) is what scans out to the side. Inherently, you get a type of down imaging return with the structure scan side imaging, but you do not get side imaging with down imaging.

Unless you get the HDS Gen2 Touch, you will not get downscan imaging in an HDS. You will in an Elite, but you lose the networking capability.

I have a HDS 5 Gen 1 and have it rigged up for ice fishing and it is an awesome ice fishing rig. However I don't use the networking features and I wanted a bigger screen for the boat. I simply wanted a good standalone so I opted for the Elite 7 HDI (HDI is the Hybrid Dual Imaging that gets you DownScan). I can still connect to my motor for motor parameter readout as well.

Before you buy anything, I would recommend you read: http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/US/Elite-7-FAQ.pdf

Hope this helps and does not confuse you further.

Just to Clarify - You WILL get both down imaging AND side imaging on the 598 and 798 humminbirds - no need to add it later but the 798 is over a grand.

The 598 has both (side and down imaging in high def) for around $800 and all the features you need.

The side imaging is SOLID GOLD I have found so many neat little drop offs, ledges and cool structure 180 feet to the left or right of my boat well away from the beaten path.

This is where the big fish are.

Ask a few other forum members that have been out on my boat ...... ask them if these spots hold some interesting fishing opportunities.

3 members, 3 new personal bests, this season alone since I upgraded my electronics and installed side imaging units - running them in tandem with a GPS/plotter is the way to go. Founds some great spots.

Considering only 4 guests have ever set foot in my boat ...... this might just be a coincidence .......... or maybe side imaging technology works (if you know how to read and use it).

.....look for the structure and the big fish sitting on bottom .........it should be illegal !!!!!!!!!

THERICARDO
07-23-2013, 08:51 PM
I am also in the market and have been wanting to purchase the bird 598 but only reason is I honestly have no idea to even read it... Just waiting for someone to come with me and I will buy it...

catchandeat
07-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Well since the lowrance only has the downscan imaging, and you have to add the sidescan on separately, I think i'm going to go with the 598 HD SI which already includes both.... I think for all i'm going to use it for, it'll work perfectly, as I don't need network capabilities, and I think the 5inch screen should be fine, I mean heck, I don't even know how to work this fancy crap yet :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Thanks for all your help folks, i'm going to continue to do some more research, and try not to confuse my self anymore then I already am.... lol but right now i'm leaning towards the humminbird..... :)

Falko
07-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Once you own one of these units and know how to use it/interpret the picture you will never go back. Fish will relate to very subtle differences in bottom structure. A finger of sand off a point, or a hard bottom in the middle of a mud flat. Structure you never would have been able to find with traditional sonar, now jumps out at you. Google Jason halfen outdoors, to get an idea of just what you have been missing.

Walleyedude
07-24-2013, 03:30 PM

I had to read this several times before I really understood what you were trying to say, and youre right, but just to clarify.

The Elite 7 uses the HDI transducer, which combines downscan and traditional 2D sonar into one transducer and does not require an LSS2 unit. You are correct that this specific transducer is only compatible with the Elite 7 and HDS touch units.

However, you can get downscan and sidescan imaging with ANY HDS unit when combined with an LSS1 or LSS2 Structure scan box and transducer.

Side and down imaging are great tools. I agree with the others here on that, its amazing what they can show you once you get the hang of them.

The learning curve may be slightly steeper and they cost a bit more, but in my experience, the Lowrance HDS units provide a clearer, more detailed, and easier to interpret image in both 2D and side-down imaging. To my mind thats the bottom line and thats why I am a Lowrance guy.

Esox
07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
I had to read this several times before I really understood what you were trying to say, and youre right, but just to clarify.

The Elite 7 uses the HDI transducer, which combines downscan and traditional 2D sonar into one transducer and does not require an LSS2 unit. You are correct that this specific transducer is only compatible with the Elite 7 and HDS touch units.

However, you can get downscan and sidescan imaging with ANY HDS unit when combined with an LSS1 or LSS2 Structure scan box and transducer.

Side and down imaging are great tools. I agree with the others here on that, its amazing what they can show you once you get the hang of them.

The learning curve may be slightly steeper and they cost a bit more, but in my experience, the Lowrance HDS units provide a clearer, more detailed, and easier to interpret image in both 2D and side-down imaging. To my mind thats the bottom line and thats why I am a Lowrance guy.

Forget Lowrance crap and how they make you pay for extras that Humminbird includes. 360 is why I'm a BIRD guy, now they just unveiled a bow mount 360 at Icast as well as a new self-mapping program. go with a bird, best bang for your buck and the leaders in sonar/fish finder/depth finders.

Walleyedude
07-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Forget Lowrance crap and how they make you pay for extras that Humminbird includes. 360 is why I'm a BIRD guy, now they just unveiled a bow mount 360 at Icast as well as a new self-mapping program. go with a bird, best bang for your buck and the leaders in sonar/fish finder/depth finders.

Have you actually used the 360 imaging?

Esox
07-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Have you actually used the 360 imaging?

Absolutely, like when side imaging first came out, it takes some monkeying around and time to understand it, but it's fantastic. Is it needed? No. Would I go without it again? Probably not.

Walleyedude
07-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Absolutely, like when side imaging first came out, it takes some monkeying around and time to understand it, but it's fantastic. Is it needed? No. Would I go without it again? Probably not.

I've never seen it in person so I can't really comment, but the research I've done online gives it pretty mixed reviews, especially given the price tag. I'm sure they'll get it fine tuned, the idea behind it is definitely solid.

As for Bird vs Lowrance pricing, if you compare apples to apples, they're so close it really makes it a matter of personal preference.

iliketrout
07-24-2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I am also a Lowrance guy and I really wanted a gen 2 touch...but it's not in the budget this year.

Catchandeat be sure to post some results with your 598 after you get it set up!

catchandeat
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I am also a Lowrance guy and I really wanted a gen 2 touch...but it's not in the budget this year.

Catchandeat be sure to post some results with your 598 after you get it set up!

You bet I will! :sHa_shakeshout: hoping to smash some double digit rainbows and browns this summer, i'll definetely take pictures :)

big-buck-slayer
07-24-2013, 10:33 PM
I have fished tournaments for years and tried several sonars. I would only purchase the Lowrance. :bad_boys_20:

catchandeat
07-24-2013, 10:41 PM
I have fished tournaments for years and tried several sonars. I would only purchase the Lowrance. :bad_boys_20:

What model, and for what reason(s) do you like lowrance over hummingbird?

just curious, thanks :)

Mudslide
07-25-2013, 12:29 AM
The Lowrance Elite 7 HDI for $699 is hands down, the best bang for your buck on the market right now. The equivalent bird will cost you at least a grand right now. 99 percent of users will never use the side imaging because you have to go faster than trolling speeds to use it effectively, mark your spots on the chart and then go back and fish them. As far as usability and ease of operation goes it depends on what you are used to. I personally find the birds harder to navigate than the Lowrance but then I am used to their menu structure. It's a Ford/Chevy thing really.

My personal choice is the Lowrance HDS touch which allows you to make highly detailed maps of any lake you fish using the Genesis Insight software that they are currently offering free with the purchase of any touch unit right now. They are also offering a free GPS puck with a built in compass that has an update rate of 10 times per second which is ten times the industry standard. It also allows you to add the side imaging at a later date if you want to.

JimmerAB
07-25-2013, 10:02 AM
I think you got the one below the 750 by the sounds of it or I could be wrong and Cabelas screwed up on the price.
I think Cabelas did make a mistake. The one I got is the HDI with down scan. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!

catchandeat
07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
The Lowrance Elite 7 HDI for $699 is hands down, the best bang for your buck on the market right now. The equivalent bird will cost you at least a grand right now. 99 percent of users will never use the side imaging because you have to go faster than trolling speeds to use it effectively, mark your spots on the chart and then go back and fish them. As far as usability and ease of operation goes it depends on what you are used to. I personally find the birds harder to navigate than the Lowrance but then I am used to their menu structure. It's a Ford/Chevy thing really.

My personal choice is the Lowrance HDS touch which allows you to make highly detailed maps of any lake you fish using the Genesis Insight software that they are currently offering free with the purchase of any touch unit right now. They are also offering a free GPS puck with a built in compass that has an update rate of 10 times per second which is ten times the industry standard. It also allows you to add the side imaging at a later date if you want to.

You have to go faster then trolling speeds to use side imaging effectively? Interesting, that's something else i'll have to look into as well... The only thing is if I get a lowrance and then decide in a few months that side imaging would be great to have, it's like 600bucks, or a whole new fishfinder pretty much...

huntsfurfish
07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
You have to go faster then trolling speeds to use side imaging effectively? Interesting, that's something else i'll have to look into as well... The only thing is if I get a lowrance and then decide in a few months that side imaging would be great to have, it's like 600bucks, or a whole new fishfinder pretty much...

That is the advantage. To have the equivalent fish finder (Humminbird/Lowrance) compare HDS 5 plus SI to 798 hum. Cost is about the same. You are not comparing apples to apples unless you compare those 2.

HDS 5 is $650.00 for top line finder and the ability to add the SI later.
Plus if you upsize your boat and or want another HDS finder mounted up front for your fishing partner you can link them with Ethernet(all that costs is for a cable to run between the 2.

Agb Crash
07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Here is my experience. No Flames please.
on boat 1 (Bayliner 2050) Hummingbird 598

On Boat 2 (bayliner 2450) HDS 5 first gen

Fishing next to each other on the same lake. Both installed by me, both set up by me ( I am not a pro so setup could be better for both).

Water from 0- 50 ft finders equal
Water 50-100 feet small edge to HDS
Water deeper that 100 feet HDS way better.

Salt water HDS better.
Again this is just my experience I am sure others have differing opinions.

I think power is the key,wattage!!!
I have 2 other fishfiners, and moved up because of the power limitations.
I just purchased the structurescan HD (found open and not installed for 300.00) I will install this weekend and let you know my thoughts.

huntsfurfish
07-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Here is my experience. No Flames please.
on boat 1 (Bayliner 2050) Hummingbird 598

On Boat 2 (bayliner 2450) HDS 5 first gen

Fishing next to each other on the same lake. Both installed by me, both set up by me ( I am not a pro so setup could be better for both).

Water from 0- 50 ft finders equal
Water 50-100 feet small edge to HDS
Water deeper that 100 feet HDS way better.

Salt water HDS better.
Again this is just my experience I am sure others have differing opinions.

I think power is the key,wattage!!!
I have 2 other fishfiners, and moved up because of the power limitations.
I just purchased the structurescan HD (found open and not installed for 300.00) I will install this weekend and let you know my thoughts.

I agree. Oilers only:sHa_shakeshout:highlighted

Mudslide
07-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Yes, if you go too slow it stretches the image beyond recognition. Side imaging is a fantastic tool but you need to use the right tool for the right job. A hammer makes a lousy screwdriver. Most fisherman can't be bothered doing any kind of recognisance but that's how most great battles are won.

Walleyedude
07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes, if you go too slow it stretches the image beyond recognition. Side imaging is a fantastic tool but you need to use the right tool for the right job. A hammer makes a lousy screwdriver. Most fisherman can't be bothered doing any kind of recognisance but that's how most great battles are won.

So true.

I find that knowing I'm recording the data for a future map using Insight Genesis makes it a lot easier though. :)

Mudslide
07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Genesis Insight is going to be a huge hit for Canadian waters. Someone bought Dr Depth and then shut er down. I suspect it was Humminbird because Lowrance has them at a huge disadvantage without it. Navionics for Canada SUCKS! Maybe Navionics bought it, not sure.

catchandeat
07-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Ughh now im torn... Lol
How much is the cheapest model lowrance with side imaging? (Or a cheaper model with side imaging added on)
I want something I'm going to be happy with.. So if if it means saving up a bit more for something that's better quality and i'll be happier with, I may just do that.... I think the humminbird is more than capable for what I need, but I don't want to regret going with the best I can afford... Hmmmm

huntsfurfish
07-25-2013, 11:51 PM
HDS 5 price at BP is $650.00 (now) then buy the LSS2-side imaging($600.00) at a later date.

Or

Humminbird 798 at about $1100.00 all in one shot.

Apples to apples.

But if you going to go $1100.00

You could opt for a larger screen and go to an HDS7 for $1050.00:thinking-006:
Then the side imaging at a later date.:thinking-006:
Snowball effect:)
Good luck:)

Mudslide
07-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Honestly all the 5 inch units are too small IMHO once you split the screen. If I were going to recommend one unit right now with side imaging it would be the HDS-7 Touch screen. It currently comes with a free year of Insight Genesis mapping as well as a 10 times per second Gps Puck that also has a built in compass. I think BPS sells it for 1799.

Walleyedude
07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Search the net, fishing forums in particular. There are some great deals out there on used HDS Gen 1 and Gen 2 units out there as well as the LSS1 and LSS2 units. I'd be sure to to go Gen2 on the sonars, they're much more powerful, faster and are Insight Genesis compatible. I don't think it really matters between LSS1 and LSS2, and they can be had for $300-400.

I agree with Mudslide about the 5" screens being a little too small when it comes to side imaging.

Bjay
07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
If you are looking to just find fish and see the bottom for inexpensive look at the Humminbird Max models. I have been using portables for 30 years on my tinners.and am happy with my Humminbirds.
Columbia old guy

catchandeat
07-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Well just went out to bass pro today and talked to a knowledgeable guy who actually knows and uses fishfinders(weird huh?).... and he recommended the lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 touch which includes genesis insight mapping (which I found out is pretty insane how awesome it is..) the 10times per second gps puck, and it has side imaging for I think it was 1600 bucks.... He said i'd have to buy another transducer though for the side imaging which is a couple hundred bucks, and it also has a flasher setting too.... I love the bigger screen the lowrance has, and I think the genesis mapping along with side imaging would be invaluable....

Any more opinions on this now? I've changed my mind so many times after doing more research... lol
the lowrance is much more expensive, and it'll hurt my bank account a lot more, but I think it has better options and features, so i'd rather save up more and be happy instead of having to upgrade in a year or two....

Whaddyall think? :dork:

huntsfurfish
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
ok:) Snowball it is:)

Walleyedude
07-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Well just went out to bass pro today and talked to a knowledgeable guy who actually knows and uses fishfinders(weird huh?).... and he recommended the lowrance HDS-7 Gen 2 touch which includes genesis insight mapping (which I found out is pretty insane how awesome it is..) the 10times per second gps puck, and it has side imaging for I think it was 1600 bucks.... He said i'd have to buy another transducer though for the side imaging which is a couple hundred bucks, and it also has a flasher setting too.... I love the bigger screen the lowrance has, and I think the genesis mapping along with side imaging would be invaluable....

Any more opinions on this now? I've changed my mind so many times after doing more research... lol
the lowrance is much more expensive, and it'll hurt my bank account a lot more, but I think it has better options and features, so i'd rather save up more and be happy instead of having to upgrade in a year or two....

Whaddyall think? :dork:

Just do it lol. You won't regret it. That's an awesome setup.

catchandeat
07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Just do it lol. You won't regret it. That's an awesome setup.

ok:) Snowball it is:)

I know! somehow my budget always doubles, arrggh! haha
I think i'm gonna get a job at basspro, that way I can adleast afford more of this stuff :P

huntsfurfish
07-30-2013, 11:52 PM
I know! somehow my budget always doubles, arrggh! haha
I think i'm gonna get a job at basspro, that way I can adleast afford more of this stuff :P

have fun

and good fishin to ya!

catchandeat
07-31-2013, 12:46 AM
have fun

and good fishin to ya!

Thanks! You too :)